Hudy set up station

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hudy set up station

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

is there a hudy factory rep? and if so how would one contact them?
Old 11-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I bought a Hudy set up station 2 years ago when I drove Losi. I used it alot but it seemed to never be quite right. Not taking a shot at Losi however the slop that Losi's develop (which makes them fast) doesn.t translate well on the Hudy. My track buddy races Losi's he bought one too last week when I saw his car I could see his camber was positive from just looking. He said he set it up on the Hudy the night before it was way off.

I drive a Mugen now and I used it a couple of times and I still don't think it was better than using my hudy camber gauge (which I love). Because its simply just a piece of metal 3 of 4 sides are cut for either 1,2 or 3 degrees of toe. No adjusting no trying to see if I got it set right (simple). Not to mention theres a small cut out in the center of each of the 3 measuing sides so no wheel nuts getting in the way.

Stubbs thats a great Idea and extremly simple to do. That's why I like this site in the midst of the fan boying and this brand over that brand arguments. There are some really great ideas from some regular joes on this site. (Applause)

As for my Hudy set up station it has set in my drawer the entire race season has not been used. I do think its a great tool though but more geared for on road cars. Who's tolerences are very tight and need to be very exact.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JsK
Toe-in is used on full size cars to take up the slack and keep the wheels as
close to 0 toe as possible when rolling and the steering system
is under load. Unless your talking Auto-X or SCCA I cant ever remember an
alignment spec that used Toe-out in front.
Actually most ford cars use toe out on there alignment specs.all othe manufacturers use toe in.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by xxxntwv
Actually most ford cars use toe out on there alignment specs.all othe manufacturers use toe in.
Is that front wheel drive or rear wheel drive? I am thinking front wheel drive,as far as rear wheel drive the front wheels are set toe in. I am no expert just a guess. The hudy set-up station works great I use it all the time after each practice.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The main reason why i use the Hudy, is to make sure everything is still straight. I have had times I thought everything was fine, put it on the Hudy and come to find out its bent or out of shape, etc.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ramjesr
Is that front wheel drive or rear wheel drive? I am thinking front wheel drive,as far as rear wheel drive the front wheels are set toe in. I am no expert just a guess. The hudy set-up station works great I use it all the time after each practice.
Yeah,that's the front wheel drive ford cars.all others are toe in.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mcion
The main reason why i use the Hudy, is to make sure everything is still straight. I have had times I thought everything was fine, put it on the Hudy and come to find out its bent or out of shape, etc.
The problem with any setup station on offroad cars is the readings are usually off by a couple of degrees in comparison to camber gauges and toe gauges.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:59 AM
Tech Addict

General rule is 4 wheel drive or front wheel drive uses toe out in the front. Rear wheel drive uses toe in. Hard to relate full size cars and RC on some things. We will run exaggerated settings at times that you would not find on full size.

I have come to the conclusion that the Hudy system is great on a NEW offroad vehicle. Once slop developes the cheaper handheld gauges are more accurate.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

.02 ARE 90% IF THE PEOPLE WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE CARS BEING TOO SLOPPY OWN LOUSI EIGHTS.... IM JUST SAYING, THE EIGHTS ARE SLOPPY BY THE TIME YOU BREAK IN YOUR FIRST ENGINE. IVE USED A HUDY FOR 2 YEARS ON MY AGAMA AND ASSOCIATEDS AND IT IS EASIER, AND MORE ACCURATE THEN ANY HAND HELD GUAGE.....
Old 11-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

ALL LOSI.... JUST SAYING
Originally Posted by xxxntwv
The problem with any setup station on offroad cars is the readings are usually off by a couple of degrees in comparison to camber gauges and toe gauges.

David Osborne,
Losi 8 and 8T 2.0
west virginia hobbies
Fioroni usa
Upgrade rc

Originally Posted by vladconnery
I bought a Hudy set up station 2 years ago when I drove Losi. I used it alot but it seemed to never be quite right. Not taking a shot at Losi however the slop that Losi's develop (which makes them fast). doesn.t translate well on the Hudy. My track buddy races Losi's he bought one too last week when I saw his car I could see his camber was positive from just looking. He said he set it up on the Hudy the night before it was way off.
Originally Posted by dnebout
I bought and sold it 2 months later. It is well built but in reality doesn't work very well because of the nature of these cars (too much slop). It was inaccurate in rear camber and especially front left toe. Most of the pieces that come with it are useless like ride height gauge, the wheels that bolt to the hexes, the blocks and the quick gauge.

Believe me when I say, I spend money on this hobby, but this just didn't work. Like I said I sold it and it wasn't because I needed the money back.
I will say it was cool to screw around with for a little while and does come with a great manual that explains the effects of changes that you can make.

I know if you're anything like me though, you'll buy it and try it for yourself, probably be disappointed, but be glad that you learned something and sell it.

Losi 8T 2.0, Werks B5 Pro, Savox 1267 / Hitec 7950
Losi Eight 2.0, Nova 4c, Hitec 7940 / Hitec 7955
Blackjack 26
Henchmen Racing
Old 11-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by STUBYSLAP31
ALL LOSI.... JUST SAYING
It has nothing to do with the brand of car.the setup jigs put opposite pressure on the car compared to the wheels.I've seen the same results on any brand of car.how many pro drivers have you seen useing a setup station.a lot of times they use shock bottles or anything straight to check camber and eyeball the toe.but you are correct losi's do develop slop but that's when they work the best.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

If you're sticking with the Losi setup that's in the manual, which is what works best anyway, just measure your links and set them to the manual measurement.

This is one industry that is full of gimmicks and money making aluminum do-dads.
Use the (keep it simple, stupid) approach and life will be good.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:27 AM
Tech Adept

i always use a nitrobottle or somthing else that is straight.
when it comes to toe i eyeball it.
The tire wear confirm that i am usely spot on.

And i dont care if camber is 1 or 2 degrees.I test it on the track,and then i measure the links and adjust the camber.The set upp in your car and driving style and track deside what camber will work for you...

Huddy set upp station is good.But becouse of slope and other priorities
i use money elswere.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

my .2 is that most people dont use the same surface or even a flat one for that matter to set up thier cars. Lets face it most of us are not Tebo, Lutz, Ryan's 2 or even one of the "fast guys" at our tracks. What a guy can gain from a properly setup car is one that tracks strait and corners predictibly. A setup station can't hurt if used properly. I owned a Hudy station never used it. I always try and find the most level place and check my settings and then after any shock adjustments or tire changes use the same place to "square" it up again. Is a Hudy setup station needed no.....do guys use them and swear by them yes.....
Old 11-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I owned a hudy station before and only used it once, before I ended up selling out of the hobby. Even then The only reason I used it was to figure things out mainly how everything worked as far as making adjustments. After getting back into the hobby, for whatever reason I just could not convince myself not to buy another one. Is it a necessity...no more than having a $500 mill or $500 radio. When one person says "oh you wasted your money on a hudy station", "you could have made do with simple hand held gauges", another guys is saying "you wasted your money on a $500 Speed and I just waxed your a$$ with a $200 B6... to each his own. Why buy a Hudy station when simple hand held gauges will suffice, why buy a speed when you can buy a ninja and a Hudy station. Why buy a 4PKS when the fast guys are smoking you using DX3R's...Why not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.