Wiki Posts
Search

Futaba 2.4 ghz fasst vs. Spektrum 2.4 ghz DX2

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Futaba 2.4 ghz fasst vs. Spektrum 2.4 ghz DX2

hi i am just curious about the new futaba 3pm 2.4ghz fasst radio. how does it compare to the spektrum dx2. i have a spektrum dx2 on both my cars and love the system, glich free operation, incredible range. but i bought the futaba fasst because i heard very good things about it, and futaba is always been known to make quality radio's...

which one is faster?
which one is better?
Old 06-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

From my understanding the fasst compared to the spektrum is the fasst is continously searching channels where as the spektrum finds a channel locks onto it then if someone were to switch on their transmitter with that channel the spektrum is on the spektrum unit shuts down for 3seconds? to find a new channel (not so good for a gas car )
Im not to sure which one is faster but the futaba fasst is awesome, I have one with my 3pks, it works great
Old 06-22-2007, 11:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ok cool, i just ordered the 3pm fasst. and i was wondering which radio would have faster response thus faster in general, cuz i am going to use it to race my JRXS.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rc_Boy89
From my understanding the fasst compared to the spektrum is the fasst is continously searching channels where as the spektrum finds a channel locks onto it then if someone were to switch on their transmitter with that channel the spektrum is on the spektrum unit shuts down for 3seconds? to find a new channel (not so good for a gas car )
Im not to sure which one is faster but the futaba fasst is awesome, I have one with my 3pks, it works great

That is absolutely untrue. The way the 2.4 GHz equipment is regulated by the FCC a 2.4GHz device needs to be equipped with what's called collision avoidance. Collision avoidance is a protocol which eliminates the possibility of more than one Spread Spectrum system from transmitting on the same frequency. That being said, when someone turns on a Spektrum or FAAST system, the system scans the channels in the band and finds an open frequency to broadcast on. If a channel is in use, the system will skip past it. On a frequency hopping system, if a frequency is in use the system will continue to scan the band until it finds an open channel. The longer it takes to find a clear frequency translates into increased latency and possible data packet losses. Direct sequence systems are on the same frequency the entire time the radio system is powered on, so the only scan-time in the system occures when you first power it on to find an open frequency.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:13 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
That is absolutely untrue. The way the 2.4 GHz equipment is regulated by the FCC a 2.4GHz device needs to be equipped with what's called collision avoidance. Collision avoidance is a protocol which eliminates the possibility of more than one Spread Spectrum system from transmitting on the same frequency. That being said, when someone turns on a Spektrum or FAAST system, the system scans the channels in the band and finds an open frequency to broadcast on. If a channel is in use, the system will skip past it. On a frequency hopping system, if a frequency is in use the system will continue to scan the band until it finds an open channel. The longer it takes to find a clear frequency translates into increased latency and possible data packet losses. Direct sequence systems are on the same frequency the entire time the radio system is powered on, so the only scan-time in the system occures when you first power it on to find an open frequency.
Umm...okay...thats a lot of info...

But has anyone actually asnwered his question. Which is faster?...Which is better?
Old 07-07-2007, 08:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darkseid
Umm...okay...thats a lot of info...

But has anyone actually asnwered his question. Which is faster?...Which is better?
Sorry about that but this stuff can get confusing enough with the correct info out there.

To the best of my knowledge there has yet to be an independent source come out and test speed/latency/frame rate/etc of either system. Plus the soon-to-be-released DX3R has improvements over the Pro Series systems with even further reduced latency and super-fast frame rates too which will change the point of reference as well.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
Sorry about that but this stuff can get confusing enough with the correct info out there.
I hear that!