Sakura Zero - New Touring Car!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sakura Zero - New Touring Car!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Tech Champion

Also I'd like to know if the ball diff uses standard diff rings and diff balls or if it is proprietary stuff. That's one of the features I really like on the Photon is it uses the same diff rings and diff balls as my pan cars.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo
I don't see how the rollers can work. The different arc lengths one end of the rollers will have to travel compared to the other will make the whole system bind up. Last time I saw Besercoe playing with the little pink thing he had the roller diff in and geez it felt tight.
Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Yeah that was my fear on the roller system as well. However if they get it to work it should be interesting as it shouldn't need near as much pressure on the diff rings to keep it from slipping. I wonder if it felt tight because he was still adjusting it like a ball diff where it definitely would feel tight due to the different arcs.
The arcs of the rollers would be equal to the arc of the diff ring where it hits. No binding will happen.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The ball diff is essentially same in design to a 416 Diff, just the overall width of it is slighly narrower. So it uses 3mm diff balls, and std large diameter diff plates. The kit ones are keyed to the diff outdrive like a D ring, however the circular Tamiya / Photon style would fit straight on, to allow the ring to slip on the outdrive (i feel this might be preferred in mod to save the diff when it gets hot, but i like the limited slip in spec classes, and it allows you to ru the diff looser without slip. The diff action is extremely smooth after doing the usual sanding of diff plates.

To be honest in most conditions so far i have preferred the std ball diff, i have used the Roller diff and it did feel really good in a mega grippy situation in 17.5, it gave the car a lot more steering, and excellent drive off the corners, however it worked the tires a lot more. It did not feel good when i ran it on a dirty outdoor track, made the rear end too floaty.

RCTERP - There would be more than 1 arc of different lengths, so technically it is binding. How much and its effect could be up for discussion.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Besercoe
RCTERP - There would be more than 1 arc of different lengths, so technically it is binding. How much and its effect could be up for discussion.
I guess I should have looked into the car a little more before I spouted off. I haven't seen the roller diff; are the rollers a larger diameter on one end (which would make the diff rings goofy)?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcterp
I guess I should have looked into the car a little more before I spouted off. I haven't seen the roller diff; are the rollers a larger diameter on one end (which would make the diff rings goofy)?
Nope they are parallel. The outside of the roller will need to travel about twice as far as the inside. Essentially each roller needs its own diff!

I have the solution though. I will look into making a couple of prototype parts for Besercoe. I'm sure he will let you know if it works.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Tech Adept

Has the car been run on carpet yet , if it has what were your thoughts
Thanks
Old 03-26-2010, 11:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Spur/Pinion

Can anyone tell me what spur and pinion the kit will come with?
Old 03-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Oggie
Can anyone tell me what spur and pinion the kit will come with?
It should come with an 80t spur. I doubt that it would include a pinion. Most race kits dont include one
Old 03-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Besercoe
The ball diff is essentially same in design to a 416 Diff, just the overall width of it is slighly narrower. So it uses 3mm diff balls, and std large diameter diff plates. The kit ones are keyed to the diff outdrive like a D ring, however the circular Tamiya / Photon style would fit straight on
Tamiya uses a metric sized round diff ring, the Photon uses a standard sized D ring.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by cannon
It should come with an 80t spur. I doubt that it would include a pinion. Most race kits dont include one
Thanks. I wasn't aware that kits don't normally come with pinions. Can anyone recommend a ballpark pinion to suit a Speed Passion 21.5 turn brushless? The Sakura Zero has 48 pitch gears doesn't it?
Old 03-27-2010, 03:25 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks. I wasn't aware that kits don't normally come with pinions. Can anyone recommend a ballpark pinion to suit a Speed Passion 21.5 turn brushless? The Sakura Zero has 48 pitch gears doesn't it?
No such thing as a ball park pinion as it will depend on ESC, programme used, turbo functions etc
Old 03-27-2010, 04:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by cannon
No such thing as a ball park pinion as it will depend on ESC, programme used, turbo functions etc
That's a cop out if I ever heard one! There is always a starting point to work out a suitable gear ratio. But no matter, I found a gear calculator spreadsheet which at least gives me somewhere to start.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:13 AM
Tech Champion

That's a cop out if I ever heard one! There is always a starting point to work out a suitable gear ratio. But no matter, I found a gear calculator spreadsheet which at least gives me somewhere to start.
You obviously dont know much about the current range of ESC's. Gearing is vastly different depending on the ESC and whether you are using the turbo function. Use a "starting point" rollout from a non turbo ESC on a turbo ESC and you will blow either the ESC or motor. Fact of life
Old 03-27-2010, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It really was the only responsible advise he could give you. Depending on your ESC it could be a 10 or 15 tooth difference. I'm sure Cannon doesn't want you to melt you ESC or motor.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oggie;
If you told them what esc you are planning to run then maybe
someone could give you advise

But you could try an fdr between 4-6

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.