Like Tree7Likes

Hot Bodies TCXX

Old 05-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard
As they say everyone is entitled to their own opinion but when you start grouping everyone into the same catergory without any qualifiable evidence to support such a generalization then there's an issue. ...
You must admit... You're probably in the 1% tile of RC racers! Most of us in the 99% could only hope to be able to setup and run cars like you. I've always been in awe watching racers at your level run cars. So for the rest of us 99%...

And just to qualify my driving skills, I never hit boards during a 4 or 5 minute race unless someone taps me into them. But still "pros" like you are in a completely different ballpark and I always watch in amazement as I can only wonder about the skills and concentration you guys have following other cars so close and getting super close to corners without hitting them!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trx450racer174
Well as it sits I had to buy Tamiya pistons since I could not find any HB ones and I don't have a CC to use at Stormer since they don't accept PP. O well I hope HB parts support picks up soon.

Thanks for the tips guys.
It will, I know it's hard to see but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for being patient with us.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If it's any consolation, I still prefer Tamiya 3 hole and the HB black machined 3 hole pistons on carpet. My last time out, I went away from the kit pistons and it mellowed the car out a lot.

Hiro recommended it since the smaller diameter pistons create less "pack" in the shock (less aggressive high speed damping). It generally makes the car less grabby and have a little bit less overall bite.

-Korey
Old 05-31-2013, 04:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
If it's any consolation, I still prefer Tamiya 3 hole and the HB black machined 3 hole pistons on carpet. My last time out, I went away from the kit pistons and it mellowed the car out a lot.

Hiro recommended it since the smaller diameter pistons create less "pack" in the shock (less aggressive high speed damping). It generally makes the car less grabby and have a little bit less overall bite.

-Korey
Hi, Which Tamiya pistons do you use ?? Part number ?
Also which O rings do you use in the shocks
Thanks
Old 05-31-2013, 07:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What do you guys think of the 6 hole pistons ? I see that Hara and Moore used them in the last WC race. Obviously track conditions dictate there use. What did you guys find ?
Thanks.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FLAT OUT
Hi, Which Tamiya pistons do you use ?? Part number ?
Also which O rings do you use in the shocks
Thanks
I bought Tamiya p/n 53573 3 hole pistons they fit the 417 and alot of other Tamiya onroad vehicles.

They also have a 6 hole blank if you can find them p/n 42165.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:10 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jag88
What do you guys think of the 6 hole pistons ? I see that Hara and Moore used them in the last WC race. Obviously track conditions dictate there use. What did you guys find ?
Thanks.
Work very well, I use 6 x 1.1 with oil 700/800, they work fine on asphalt in all grip conditions, do not use vent hole.

The diameter of these pistons is very accurate, check the smoothness in the body of the shock absorber, otherwise use a bit of sandpaper.

The increased accuracy of these pistons (even the new 3 x1, 1 TCXX) also offer a better guidance of the shock absorber rod, works as straight, aligned.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

-Korey
On a high grip asphault track what wt fluid would you start with??

I also might drill a 6 hole set to try as well.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jag88
Thanks.
Ran then at the Reedy race with 90wt Losi oil with silver springs front and rear. Felt better than the 3 hole pistons and 35wt front and 30wt rear.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Clint, how did the 6 holes feel compared to 3 holes? I should have tried that at Reedy. I was trying to hold off those Awesomatix and ARC cars in the A main. Could have used an extra .1
Old 05-31-2013, 03:57 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dizzy1
Clint, how did the 6 holes feel compared to 3 holes? I should have tried that at Reedy. I was trying to hold off those Awesomatix and ARC cars in the A main. Could have used an extra .1
More like 2 tenths..lol
Old 05-31-2013, 10:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trx450racer174
On a high grip asphault track what wt fluid would you start with??

I also might drill a 6 hole set to try as well.
With the Tamiya or black HB 3 hole pistons, I used losi 40wt typicially. If you need to smooth out the car, and keep the tires cooler, Losi 45wt is good. Smaller technical tracks, Losi 35 or 37.5 is ideal.

I would also not recommend "making" 6 hole pistons. As some others have said, the fit of the outer diameter of the piston is really important to how the 6 hole pistons work. I truly don't think they work the same at all. I drill some of my own and they were really lame on the track haha.

-Korey
Old 06-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

I found some shock shafts in my parts box which I believe are the ver. 2 shafts. They have an extra groove for the snap ring that holds the piston in a lower position. I don't see any mention of these on any of the setup sheets. My guess is that the lower piston gives more pack and would be used in a low bite condition (?). Does anybody have any experience with these ?
Thanks.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dizzy1
It was a night and day difference. More over all grip and better corner speed. Felt more connected to the track and this may have possibly given you a fighting chance in the A.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

With the Tamiya or black HB 3 hole pistons, I used losi 40wt typicially. If you need to smooth out the car, and keep the tires cooler, Losi 45wt is good. Smaller technical tracks, Losi 35 or 37.5 is ideal.

I would also not recommend "making" 6 hole pistons. As some others have said, the fit of the outer diameter of the piston is really important to how the 6 hole pistons work. I truly don't think they work the same at all. I drill some of my own and they were really lame on the track haha.

-Korey
Korey, What wt oil would you recommend for a tight low grip parking lot track using the 6 hole HB pistons?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.