Community
Wiki Posts
Search

first race

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 03:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default first race

i dont know if this is the right forum to be writing this on, but im givin it a shot anyways.

i have been practicing and tunning and i think im ready for my first real race, how exactly does the race procedure work? class wise and how they run the races and tech and anything else, just in general i knwo it will change from track to track, also if anyone from houston is reading this, where in houston is a good place to race? is mikes hobby shop still under construction? if so where else is there to race? Any advice is greatly appriecated.

oh almost forgot, im running a losi 8t
Old 01-19-2009, 03:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mike's is rebuilding the onroad track - the offroad track is still in service. They just announced they would be racing every Saturday. The River Track in Brazoria is hosting the first HARC race of the year on Jan 31st.

HARC races usually have sportsman and expert buggy and truggy classes, beginner class when they have the entries. Same for gas truck or monster truck - they run if there are entries.

Format is three five minute heats, your best time in the heat races seeds you for the main. Lower mains are usually ten minutes long. Two top finishers in each main bump up to the next main. A-mains are thirty minutes.

One other thing to thik about are transponders - if you are sure you're going to stick with racing. buy a personal transponder. If you just want to give it a try once you can get by with a track loaner.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

my best advice would be to go to your local track, and spend a day watching the program. watch pit lane, and listen to the director. Most tracks will have a short drivers meeting. sit in on that too.

If you already have a pit man lined up, take that person too. Your pit person will want to know what goes on in pit lane, and what his job is.

You can always ask questions too. Most tracks always like to have new racers, so everyone should be helpful.

Once you get the idea, most tracks are ran the same way, with maybe a few little differences, but the idea is the same.

Oh yeah... HAVE FUN! It is ADDICTING!!
Old 01-19-2009, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i agree with the infor above.. spend a day or to out at the ttrack and watch how they do things. most racers are more than happy to lend a hand when you start racing
Old 01-19-2009, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would agree to the fore mentioned advice. I would only add this. Please make sure to go thru your truck with a fine tooth comb. Make sure there aren't any iffy parts that you might think would break. Fresh shocks, Diffs, and remember locktite is your friend!

Also spend time watching the track for how they are getting around the track. Make sure you have all of your batterys charged; transmitter, receiver (hopefully an extra one as well) And don't be afraid to ask questions. And more importantly listen to the guys who know. All these should help you have a more enjoyable race day. Don't forget to keep the temper in check we do this for fun right guys Good Luck!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

alright thanks guys! i thought mikes was messed up but now im really stoked, does anyone have the HARC website?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

HARC website

http://www.houstonarearc.com/

The River Track

http://www.riverracetrack.com/

Mike's Hobby Shop

http://www.mikes-hobbyshop.com/index.html
Old 01-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

alright one other question, my losi 8t is the rtr one, i have changed alot of parts
(shocks, shock towers, both servos...) but im just wonderin im still running the mac 427 engine, the one it came with, would i still be able to race out there at mikes with it?
Old 01-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Don't fool your self that is a great budget engine. That engine is run at club tracks all over the country every week.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

alright thats good to know, just didnt wanna look like an idiot out there.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

Don't yell at the turn marshals, remember, they are the one putting you back on your wheels and getting you racing again, you don't want to make one mad, I've seen a turn marshal who killed the engine because the drive kept yelling at him.

If you flip over on your lip, don't full throttle it, you can blip the throttle to get the turn marshals attention if he doesn't see you, but if he see's you and is trying to flip you back over, don't go full throttle. When I was a turn marshal, I wouldn't even touch the car until the driver let off the throttle.

Don't be afraid to ask questions or try to get advice. Everyone's there for the same reason, to have fun racing. If you're having an issue with your engine not running right, ask someone who seems to have a good strong engine running out there, tires at the same way.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

all of the above is excellent info, also dont get discouraged, because you will at times bear with it and most importantly have fun, you will always have those that thrive on negativity but i have found that there are always a large number of friendly and helpful people, good luck
Old 01-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

tires? i never really thought about that for some reason. i have the tires that the rtr came with eclipse tires, i know mikes is real hard, should i be looking at other tires as well?
Old 01-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

real simple just ask around your track, youl find 75% of everyone running the same tires, if its real hard surface ive had great luck with holeshots in both xtr and m2
Old 01-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SPARTAN300gt
all of the above is excellent info, also dont get discouraged, because you will at times bear with it and most importantly have fun, you will always have those that thrive on negativity but i have found that there are always a large number of friendly and helpful people, good luck
You can usually find the ones who thrive on negativity because 1) No one will be talking to them and 2) No one will be near them in the pit area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.