Wiki Posts
Search

Tools!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c
-I see that/had to go back and re-read your post!

Curious how many tools you guys have, especially multiple brands of the same tool? I read an article about Mark Weir, he is a pro-mountain bike rider who lives about 1/2mile from my house. He is really into RC cars (SCTrucks) and has his own backyard track. There was a photo of him in RC Car Action in his garage working on a SCTruck. He had an entire line of hex wrenches, there must have been 60 wrenches lined up. This got me thinking about my own hex wrench setup. I have the same set I bought about 10 years ago when I got back into this hobby after a long break. It is an Integy brand, has a handle w/ swappable bits. I like how it is compact when the bits are removed, but the bits are okay.. I've had several strip, but overall I get good use out of them for the price. I needed a long reach bit so purchased a wrench w/ bit that is not removable from another brand, I think its MIP ...it is really nice. I've thought about getting another set, but I hate being wasteful ..not using my original Integy set in favor of a better set.

I have one set of Integy wrenches (one wrench a bunch of bits) and one MIP (I think) wrench. What about you guys/gals, how may hex wrenches do you have?
For my needs. I have a 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0mm

Follow up sir eR1c, Can you name the essential tools needed to maintain a touring car chassis?

Need to have and nice to have.

I also would appreciate if you can post pics of your workstation.

Regards.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

-I see that/had to go back and re-read your post!

Curious how many tools you guys have, especially multiple brands of the same tool? I read an article about Mark Weir, he is a pro-mountain bike rider who lives about 1/2mile from my house. He is really into RC cars (SCTrucks) and has his own backyard track. There was a photo of him in RC Car Action in his garage working on a SCTruck. He had an entire line of hex wrenches, there must have been 60 wrenches lined up. This got me thinking about my own hex wrench setup. I have the same set I bought about 10 years ago when I got back into this hobby after a long break. It is an Integy brand, has a handle w/ swappable bits. I like how it is compact when the bits are removed, but the bits are okay.. I've had several strip, but overall I get good use out of them for the price. I needed a long reach bit so purchased a wrench w/ bit that is not removable from another brand, I think its MIP ...it is really nice. I've thought about getting another set, but I hate being wasteful ..not using my original Integy set in favor of a better set.

I have one set of Integy wrenches (one wrench a bunch of bits) and one MIP (I think) wrench. What about you guys/gals, how may hex wrenches do you have?
Here's my Mip 1.5mm during the recent Sabre build.. droop screw.

No more Mip's for me. I'm trying AE, Dynamite right now, but will always have my Wera and Wiha as backup. I don't abuse my tools. My RC tool box alone easily over $1K in tools.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Wha??? I thought MIP was the epitome of hex wrenches? I heard that from my LHS.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Follow up sir eR1c, Can you name the essential tools needed to maintain a touring car chassis?

Need to have and nice to have.

Here is a thread that shows my workspace, however my workspace has grown and improved since this thread (i'll try to post a new set of photos to that thread or this one tomorrow or Friday)
http://www.rctech.net/forum/chat-lou...workspace.html

As for tools for a TC car, what I recommend:
1) set of good hex drivers (whatever good is ...we all have fav' brands)
2) Camber gauge
3) Flat board to measure ride height (I use a flat piece of 3/4" acrylic board I purchased from TAP Plastics ...cheaper than the "RC boards" they sell) and works the same
4) ride height gauge
5) caliper gauge for measuring while you build your kit (I use to be sure I have a 6mm screw and not a 4mm screw) also when they say "have screw stick out 1.5mm, etc... ...this sort of thing

That is bare minimum
Extras:
5) shock air removal tool (yet i've gone years w/o this)
6) tire sauce to make your tires sticky
7) good tires, good tires, good tires!
8) diff oils in various weights
9) shock oils in various weights/ shock springs in various weights/resistance
10) ride setup board (different than a flat board)
11) soldering iron (I switch motors and such kind of often til I find one that I like)

that is what comes to mind. Probably not terribly different than what you need for other RC vehicles.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Nut drivers? 5.5mm and 7mm?
Old 09-02-2015, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

No more Mip's for me. I'm trying AE, Dynamite right now, but will always have my Wera and Wiha as backup. I don't abuse my tools. My RC tool box alone easily over $1K in tools.
Wow, that is some serious damage! Wera and Wiha?? I'll have to look 'em up..
Old 09-02-2015, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Wow, that is some serious damage! Wera and Wiha?? I'll have to look 'em up..
I thought MIPs were the epitome of hex drivers?
Old 09-02-2015, 07:08 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi

You should send that to MIP to see if they will warranty it. There is also an MIP thread in the offroad section that you can post that in.

I've had no issues with either of the MIP tools I have purchased (that have handles) or the ones like in the picture.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Most durable tools I have owned have been the Thorpe line and the ProfiTool line from Hudy. The profi's are plastic handled versions of their pro tools, shaft is the same though and I find the plastic larger handles to be more comfortable when building.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RCBuddha
You should send that to MIP to see if they will warranty it. There is also an MIP thread in the offroad section that you can post that in.

I've had no issues with either of the MIP tools I have purchased (that have handles) or the ones like in the picture.
Thanks, RCBudda. I already threw it out. I thought about that, but there is no guarantee that it would not happen again. With my luck, it would happen at the worst times.

I think the primary reason it broke was from the heat. I use a Wera ratchet driver and can screw those setscrews rapidly. It creates A LOT of heat. The tool was probably not properly heat cycled at the factory. I will say that my Wera bits have not cracked like this..ever. But then I use Wera drivers for my real car hobby too, so durability is probably under much higher standards.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

've updated the thread on "show me your workspace" -here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/chat-lou...l#post14169136
Old 09-03-2015, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

've updated the thread on "show me your workspace" -here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/chat-lou...l#post14169136
So neat and tidy. It reflects your personality. Someday Mr. eR1c...
Old 09-03-2015, 09:14 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
I think the primary reason it broke was from the heat. I use a Wera ratchet driver and can screw those setscrews rapidly. It creates A LOT of heat. The tool was probably not properly heat cycled at the factory. I will say that my Wera bits have not cracked like this..ever. But then I use Wera drivers for my real car hobby too, so durability is probably under much higher standards.
Hmmm. Never heard of Wera before.

Already found something new for my amazon wish list.

Is this what you have? http://www.amazon.com/Wera-Kraftform...ra+screwdriver
Old 09-04-2015, 03:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Default About setup boards

Hi there,

I am looking for a setup board. What do you think about the integy's ones? I think they are thicker than the hudy's one, so probably better.

Just considering hudy vs integy vs tamiya trf. The one from tamiya is very rare and I do not think is as good as the others.

What do you think? Another brand to be considered?

Thanks for your comments.
Akaron
Old 09-04-2015, 03:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RCBuddha
Hmmm. Never heard of Wera before.

Already found something new for my amazon wish list.

Is this what you have? http://www.amazon.com/Wera-Kraftform...ra+screwdriver
Yep, that's the one I use. I also use a low power (~3v) electric 1/4 bit drill/driver by Panasonic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.