Community
Wiki Posts
Search

setting droop correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 09:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

that may have been my problem yesterday, my cars kept pushing and changing springs didnt really helped much. I had RR -1 FR 0, tomorrow I will try something like RR 2 FR -1
Old 12-20-2003, 11:35 PM
Tech Adept

Just a reminder,

The MOST important tuning option you have is TIRES..

Changing shocks oil, springs, droop, ect. do have some affect on how well your car handles but they're nothing compared to changing tires.

I too was changing droop, springs, and all the other adjustments to try and stop my car from pushing. Nothing really helped. Finally it dawned on me to try a softer tire in the front and BINGO,,, my push went away just like that.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

yep, you are very right, Thank you !
Old 12-21-2003, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Say you have a fresh set of shoes and run them for the day just resetting your ride hight say to 5mm, what is happening to your car set up? Is it getting loose, pushie or twitchie? I run the NTC3 with -3 and -5 like bbntc3.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by TOEBSTER2
Say you have a fresh set of shoes and run them for the day just resetting your ride hight say to 5mm, what is happening to your car set up? Is it getting loose, pushie or twitchie? I run the NTC3 with -3 and -5 like bbntc3.
It sounds like you are using the Associated gage numbers, correct? Won't work with foams due to the huge change in diameter during the day(unless you can afford to run the same size tires all the time).

What is being recommended here is to set ride height and then set droop (the amount the cars rises before the tires lift off). There is no gage number for this because it depends on tire dia.

Set ride height and tweak, then lift up on the car and set the droop so the the car travels up a certain distance before the tires lift off the ground. On a smooth track that number can be as little as 1 mm, but usually we use 2 to 3 for outdoor racing. The end with less droop will usually have less traction...note I said usually because like all adjustments it depends on the rest of the set-up.

On my NTC3 I run about 1mm in front and about 2 in the back, on my TC3 it is just the opposite because I am usually looking for more steering on in door tracks
Old 12-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks that makes more sense to me.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:36 AM
Tech Addict

Yes, it's important - droop has a significant effect on weight transfer.
As D says, when you change the ride height to accommodate tyre wear, you need to restore the droop setting. If there was a way around it, we'd all be doing it.
If you have enough tyres of similar diameter and rotate them, you don't have to do many adjustments. It doesn't take long once you get used to the fact that 1/2 a turn on the droop screw equates to "X" amount of droop. Then just lift the chassis to ensure there's no tweak.
Thanks Taylor-Racing! Sorry took me a while to reply, pretty busy with christmas shopping

So droop setup correctly with the suspension on or off the car? I have 2 different result with/without the suspension. On my R40, i have different amount of turns between right and left upfront in order to get the same number. Is this normal or something binding in the suspension arms?
Old 12-22-2003, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by fuse01
pls suggest a drp height for mtx3

thanks

big track...
I am running front at 2mm and rear of 5mm (gonna try 6 mm later), its makes the car very 'flat', handling is decently neutral. Also my shock oils are at 50 Wt on BLUE springs.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

how does the 50w work with the blue tamiya springs?

I was thinkin of puttin 50w with either yellow or blue to minimize roll on the rear...

let's see if I understant

the more doop the more tracktion but more body roll, correct? - more weirght transfer to the opposire end?

a neutral setting is not always 0 ?
Old 12-22-2003, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Profoxcg
how does the 50w work with the blue tamiya springs?

I was thinkin of puttin 50w with either yellow or blue to minimize roll on the rear...

let's see if I understant

the more doop the more tracktion but more body roll, correct? - more weirght transfer to the opposire end?

a neutral setting is not always 0 ?
Eeeeerrrr ... what Tamiya? Fuse 01 was asking for MUGEN MTX3, I was referring to the same car. When I said neutral I meant the car's handling. No real oversteer/understeer etc. Not set up to merely suit a particular driving style.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

for a moment i though i was on the tamiya forum , lol
Old 12-22-2003, 11:12 AM
Tech Adept

tianci
thats the same setup i run for droop and shock oil
but i change between purple,blue,grey shocks depending
on track and conditions
Old 12-22-2003, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by sbmon
tianci
thats the same setup i run for droop and shock oil
but i change between purple,blue,grey shocks depending
on track and conditions
I tried purple for tight tracks and found that there was no real advantage so I chucked them, the blue were fine. Next on my list are the grey/white ones, I heard that they are good, how do you find them?

For me I am still doing a lot of set up tests, been using the same spring but changing shock oils from 40 to 50 to 60, seems to work pretty fine but I know damping and springs are totally different things.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Profoxcg
for a moment i though i was on the tamiya forum , lol
Dude ... this is what you have to do:

1 sit infront of a mirror
2 open right hand
3 look into mirror
4 smack hand onto forehead and say "DUH~"
5 repeat step no. 4 three times
Old 12-22-2003, 10:54 PM
Tech Adept

the greys seem to work pretty good for me at the REALLY
big track i run at , this track has a 265ft back straight and lanes are like atleast 12 foot wide around the whole track, the track is ideal for 1/8 scale but we have alot of fun on it with the nitro sedans. This is a track where powerful motors and lots of gearing really help. I use the grey springs , but i use the rear springs for the front and back, when the foams wear down you still have plenty more thread to go down on this way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.