Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AE Pro .28 wont idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default AE Pro .28 wont idle

I have a Thunder Tiger ST-1 with an AE Pro .28 in it. I bought it recently and realized the tune is way out of wack on it. It is a used broken in engine i bought from a friend. All of the problem are in the low end, a bog on takeoff, an idle that doesnt hold very well, and needing a little throttle to get it started warm. I looked up the specs on it and needles should be HSN 2 3/4, LSN 6 1/4, and MSN 1 turn out. I noticed the MSN was almost 4 turns out so i set it back to 1 turn and adjusted the LSN accordingly (richened it) and it eliminated most of the bog but neither of the other problems. The carb is set for 1mm idle. Its hard to check LSN by squeezing the fuel line when it doesnt idle but last time i was able to it was 1 sec. so its a little lean now. If i get the needles set to where they should be will it fix the problem with the idle or is there another problem? Thanks.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

i had similier issues with ae .28 i dont remember what the settings were but i know it was much different than the factory settings, i had to spend a good amount time with be it would really do anything. too bad i only 4 to 5 tanks out it before it broke. just make sure the engine at operating temp before tuning.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

How far off do you think the needles were cuz i think my LSN could be almost a turn leaner then factory specs right now
Old 04-12-2010, 05:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

ok, checked it to see where i had the needles, i was 4 turn out on the lsn and almost but a little under 2 1/2 out hsn, my air gap was never touched so it shoud be factory. try that,
Old 04-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

I decided to just go back to factory specs on the low and mid needles and with some tweaking got it running really good. I ended up 7 turns out on the LSN and 1 1/4 on the mid and 2 1/2 on HSN. I think mine are different from urs cuz mine is a three needle carb which changes things alot. Thanks for your help tho!