Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Locking center diff

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Tech Regular

Different Beast...

On Road and Off Road shouldn't be used to compare diffs, and how to set them up, or why do you need a center when 10th scale doesn't have one..

They are two totally different applications were you have 2 completely different setups.

1/8th (off road) and 1/10th scales (on road) cars are not the same.

One major reason (not related to the cars).. Track conditions. On road tracks don't bust a 180 on you after 2 quals or a long Main. On Road is the same track through and through the only chance you have to change the track is if your outdoor and the rain comes. Off Road on hand can change in just a matter of minutes. You need more control of the delivery of power to different wheels on different parts of any given track which in turn requires a center diff. It is the first point of controling the power from your motor to the front and rear. You don't always want a 50/50 power delivery in off-road applications. Nor would always having 50/50 help you come out of a turn faster. You need the car to pull out of the turn not lock up and push giving you 50/50 your going to just hit a striaght line and get no where really quick.

P.S. Every fast 1/8th scale (off road) racer I have ever watched never drifts on dirt with the traction you get on some of these cars trying to drift will just cause you to roll the corner and need a marshall, and breaking the tires on dirt coming out of the drift and locking it up just waste your power and time anyway.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RJNicholson
Different Beast...

On Road and Off Road shouldn't be used to compare diffs, and how to set them up, or why do you need a center when 10th scale doesn't have one..

They are two totally different applications were you have 2 completely different setups.

1/8th (off road) and 1/10th scales (on road) cars are not the same.

One major reason (not related to the cars).. Track conditions. On road tracks don't bust a 180 on you after 2 quals or a long Main. On Road is the same track through and through the only chance you have to change the track is if your outdoor and the rain comes. Off Road on hand can change in just a matter of minutes. You need more control of the delivery of power to different wheels on different parts of any given track which in turn requires a center diff. It is the first point of controling the power from your motor to the front and rear. You don't always want a 50/50 power delivery in off-road applications. Nor would always having 50/50 help you come out of a turn faster. You need the car to pull out of the turn not lock up and push giving you 50/50 your going to just hit a striaght line and get no where really quick.

P.S. Every fast 1/8th scale (off road) racer I have ever watched never drifts on dirt with the traction you get on some of these cars trying to drift will just cause you to roll the corner and need a marshall, and breaking the tires on dirt coming out of the drift and locking it up just waste your power and time anyway.
when i was talkin about drifting i was talking about on road, of course ur not gonna want to drift off road
Old 07-16-2009, 11:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Thanks RJ, that's one of the best explanations I've ever read on why we need a 3 diff set-up in our cars.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Who ever mentionned on-road at all?

I'm talking OFFROAD 10th scale. The last car that was using 3 diffs in this category was the Kyosho Lazer, the first one, and that was 15yrs ago. All modern designs run with 2 diffs...

Paul
Old 07-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Tech Regular

Sorry but I just don't see where 1/10th scale off-road is big over here (US), and most off-road 1/10th scale cars that I have seen were 2WD anyway. I know their are 4WD cars as well, but I just can't see the benifits of locking up a off-road cars center diff... O wait maybe if you are driving an off-road oval track.. But then again thats oval and drifting is involved in that.

They never have a presence on regular club night, and I haven't heard of 1 person talking about going to the NATS to drive 1/10th scale off-road. It's just not as popular as 1/8th scale has become.

And the OP started talking drifting and and about how on-road locks their center diff up. Which IMO is a horrible idea on dirt.

I think the people who pay buku money to the Engineers they hire to devlope and design these cars tested what your saying up and down the wall and ALL the major companies implement a Center Diff in each of their 1/8th scale buggys and truggys. There must be a reason for this or all of your top companies would have cars with no center diff. It just doesn't make sense to make an off-road racer with direct 4wd drive with no diff distributing the power!!

There is use for the application though.. Like straights, but thats why almost every company has released an Active/Smart Diff. So that you can have a diff that acts like its fully locked on power, but can still release and unload on off power. This is the medium you should look for in off-road. The Active/Smart Diffs are acting like real cars now and able to unload power to where it needs to keep the car attached to the ground and able to take turns and corners at higher rates off speed and stay on your line much easier, so you can punch it more coming out of the turn.

Just my .02
Old 07-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Lonestar

I'm talking OFFROAD 10th scale. The last car that was using 3 diffs in this category was the Kyosho Lazer, the first one, and that was 15yrs ago. All modern designs run with 2 diffs...

Paul
i did, if u go back and read the posts u would know why
Old 07-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lonestar

Paul
Most of the 4wd 2 diff designs utilize a slipper clutch to help lay power down to the ground, kind of like a diff.