Wiki Posts
Search

RB S7---Turbo Head vs. Standard Head

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default RB S7---Turbo Head vs. Standard Head

I have a RB S7 with about 2 gallons of 30% Byron's on it now and runs like a champ!! So the question has been going thru my mind that should I put in a Turbo Head in this motor but im not sure if its worth it can get a brand new one on ebay for around 30$ thats 15$ cheaper than new.

What are the advantages of running a Turbo head motor Vs. Standard head?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:08 AM
Tech Adept

Alittle bit more power and fuel economy.You also will get to buy more expensive plugs and it will be more sensitive to tuning and weather changes.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

I thought I have read that the Turbo plugs are easier to tune and hold tunes better than a standard plug, but im not sure..
Old 03-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

nah standard plugs are easier to tune...

Another cost you may not have considered yet; Do you have a bunch of standard plugs still? If you switch to turbo you're going to have to buy plugs too and those little guys get pricey.

Turbo heads do make some more power, and burn fuel my efficiently but if you're very used to your standard button AND have a bunch of standard plugs still, I wouldnt make the switch personally.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

I just bought 4 new standard RB plugs from Amainhobbies a couple of weeks ago @ 7$ a piece.

I could always use a little more time on a tank of fuel im getting around 7 min right now and im sure i could lean it a little and get 8 but i like my temps in the 225 range.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'd stick with the standard plugs for this motor for now. Maybe you can pick up the turbo button, but continue to use the your stock button until you use up the plugs you have. One more thing to consider is that with turbo plugs, you have a fitment issue with some plugs and need to stick with a certain brand of plug. Also, once the button starts to wear, you may experience more difficulties with sealing the plug when installing a new plug versus the use of a standard plug which uses a copper spacer to seal up the plug with the button. It wont make that much of a difference to a normal racer. I'd save the money for other things and just keep turbo plugs in mind for your next motor.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

So why does it seem like the top dollar motor's come with turbo heads if the standard head plugs are a better plug? Is there much diffrence in power and fuel mileage..
Old 03-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have a S7 with a standard plug and I recall this is all one piece button and cooling head/fins, so I think you would need more than just the button to covert to turbo.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TXRC8racer
So why does it seem like the top dollar motor's come with turbo heads if the standard head plugs are a better plug? Is there much diffrence in power and fuel mileage..
The turbo plug usually gives a little more power due to the design of the plug and how it fits the button. Other features such as coil size and and material also contribute to the turbo plug's longevity and slight power increase.

The standard plug however uses a copper coil which helps seal the plug a little better, and this adds to the longevity of the plug and button. Also, the copper shim also helps shield the button from dirt when taking out the plug. The draw back to the copper shim is that it can also compress and change the final height of the coil within the plug.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikenix
I have a S7 with a standard plug and I recall this is all one piece button and cooling head/fins, so I think you would need more than just the button to covert to turbo.

On amainhobbies.com the head buttons are sold separate from the cooling head for the S7.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TXRC8racer
On amainhobbies.com the head buttons are sold separate from the cooling head for the S7.
Here is the one I have and the pic even shows all one piece.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/8951

The turbo button you need this to complete it.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/24829
Old 03-24-2009, 06:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Im not 100% sure i have never had the head off the motor but they also sell this

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4830

And it says for the:

RB Concept .21 Standard Plug Square Stroke (E/S5/S7/WS7III) Button Head (1) [RBC01090]
This is a replacement Standard Button head for RB Concept Square Strong .21 engines, such as the Econo 3-port, S5, S7II and WS7II family engines. This is the same as the head button that comes in the box with these engines.

Then the Turbo plug says:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/4828

RB Concept .21 Turbo Plug Square Stroke (E/S5/S7/WS7III) Button Head (1)
[RBC01080]
This is a Turbo Button head for RB Concept Square Strong .21 engines, such as the Econo 3-port, S5, S7II and WS7II family engines. These engines usually come with a standard plug button head, so you can use this button head to convert your engine to use Turbo glow plugs for better performance!

So I will need to buy the WS7 Cooling head to run the Turbo Plug?
Old 03-24-2009, 06:51 AM
Tech Regular

Sounds like perhaps it's changed over time. I think if you have the very round one like mine it's all one piece. Maybe the newer style is two piece. Either way you're four screws away from knowing in your case.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikenix
Sounds like perhaps it's changed over time. I think if you have the very round one like mine it's all one piece. Maybe the newer style is two piece. Either way you're four screws away from knowing in your case.

Yea i will take a look this afternoon when i get home. And i just bought this motor new from my LHS about 2 months ago.

So the only real advantage for the turbo plug is performance. But really how much more performance do these motors need? They over power the track as it is now with my stock S7, if you have the most powerfull motor out there and makes like 4hp it don't mean a thing if you cain't get it hooked up and put to the ground.

Now i can see doing the head swap if it gives me a couple more minutes of run time that means less pit stops in a main which equals more laps.

But is it really worth it for just the extra run time?
Old 03-24-2009, 07:32 AM
Tech Master

You will need both the head button & the heat sink to convert it (& the turbo plugs). It's not worth it. If you need better fuel economy put a smaller restrictor in the carb. I normally ran a 7.0 or 7.5 in the standard S7 but you can go even lower.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.