• 2 Post By slodsm
  • 1 Post By CaribbeanPirate

Local Track

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 06:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Local Track

Hello fellow RC addicts,

Check out this little track I found today. Oh, by the way, it's in Ulaanbaatar! There were two locals messing around with 1/8 scale nitro buggies, Kyosho I think. The boy and I had a little run running the 2WD slash around it. I'm looking forward to getting back there with a faster truck, but most of the locals run nitro. I did notice that spent a lot more time tuning their buggies then running them, but the sound was cool! Are nitros too much work, or can they be fun? I never really considered one before, but it would be fun to race, maybe?

Peace,

MP

Old 09-09-2017, 11:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Looks like a 55 gal drum of weed killer is needed, after that it should be sweet. Nitro's are great when they are running good, Not the most fun when half the field dnf's.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

eh, just need some more cars out there to do some weeding and yes nitro is a blast, especially truggy
Old 09-10-2017, 02:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for having a look guys. This photo was taken before the track was cleaned up significantly. The weeds are mostly tamed now. I have never considered nitro before, but I think I'll try it out after the long winter passes. I hope I can run my electrics sometimes when it's above -15 or so.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:42 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I bet cleaned up that is a great looking track.

Nitro is a ton of fun, the learning curve is a bit steep but they’re getting better all the time. Much easier now than it was 20 years ago. Just don’t buy a cheap/used motor. Buy a decent motor from the get go (not high priced as you will kill it early learning) but a nice lower end OS or Reds or nova. They will be much easier than a cheap 100 dollar nitro motor with a finicky carb but not so expensive when you smoke it you’re heart broken. 200-250 bucks will get you in a usable motor than you can learn on without pulling your hair out.
Bealey and MongolPete like this.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Nitros are good if you know what youre doing. It would take 10 minutes tops to warm up and tune an engine if you know how. After that its just little tweaks or non at all each race day
Old 09-19-2017, 03:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ulaanbaatar, eh Pete? One of my favorite places in the world. Have visited there many times with Google Earth and Wikipedia. Welcome to the nitro forum.

Track in the photo looks o.k. to me. Good variety of surface and terrain. I'd run it with my MBX7/3-port Nova. But I'm pretty much an un-improved track enduro type anyway. Just have to pick a good line through the brush. No biggie.

Good luck. Hope you put together a good gang of runners.

Cheers. 'AC'

Last edited by AHR43; 09-19-2017 at 03:12 PM. Reason: add two words
Old 09-21-2017, 01:14 PM
Tech Adept

Nitro is The Glory! Its not that hard to keep up with a nitro engine after you have read about how they work. most people dont understand these are not conventional toys, but scale vehicles that go thru a tremendous amount of stress... 36K RPM is a heck of a lot so you need to lubricate and periodicaly check for wear, but they are the most fun IMO
AHR43 likes this.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:18 PM
Tech Adept

Awesome Track BTW! have you got newer Pics?
Old 09-25-2017, 04:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaribbeanPirate
Nitro is The Glory! Its not that hard to keep up with a nitro engine after you have read about how they work. most people dont understand these are not conventional toys, but scale vehicles that go thru a tremendous amount of stress... 36K RPM is a heck of a lot so you need to lubricate and periodicaly check for wear, but they are the most fun IMO
I haven't played with rc stuff in probably 10 years, recently pulled my savage 4.6 out when I bought my son a 4x2 slash and there is just no replacing nitro sound and smell I was so sad to see that over the past howeverany years it seems nitro went away in popularity, at least at the hobby stores anywhere near us.