Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Hobby shop tracks; Whats wrong with this picture? >

Hobby shop tracks; Whats wrong with this picture?

Hobby shop tracks; Whats wrong with this picture?

Old 10-19-2004, 11:04 PM
Tech Addict

if you are breaking stuff you are driving too fast.

if you are not breaking stuff you are driving too slow.

Old 10-19-2004, 11:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by icon
if you are breaking stuff you are driving too fast.

if you are not breaking stuff you are driving too slow.

Perfect!!
Old 10-21-2004, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Silver cup
Your response was rediculous. The track barriers job is two-fold. Define the race course and contain the cars within the course.
The Road Dome/rail system is a very attractive and convienient system but does not comply with the basic requirements. You seem to be implying something about my driving abillities without ever seeing me in action. Or perhaps you did not meen' you 'when you said that..
We are driving toy cars and most do not do that very well. People will hit whatever we put out there for a barrier. We should use whatever will fit within the budget of the track owner/club and do the job. It is better to have the out of control guy break his car on a barrier, than have him launched into the straight to break an innocent drivers car.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Re: "Lowe's Motor Speedway"

Originally posted by Silver Cup
Here is a picture of one of our "Lowe's Motor Speedway" tracks at the Mill Creek Lowes - Mill Creek, Washington. The track dimensions are 80'x140' and is around 575' to get around. The fast cars are turning low 14 sec. lap times.

(These are two pictures put together)

Our 3rd Annual Weekend Tournament Track

(Picture by Alex Boyer - HPI Racing)
hey silver cup... how did you manage to let Lowe's let you race at their parking lot?

a buddy of mine runs his own track..and we're always looking for new locations. Lowes are usually set up near food places... can you PM me and let me know how you approached them? thanks!
Old 10-21-2004, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Talking Road Rails work for most

I have no idea of what kind of driver you are and it was a general comment for all of us, including me. I have taken a tumble because of the Road Rails by my own doing and no one elses. I was responding to the fact that you say the rails suck and they just don't. They make putting up the track and maintaining it during the day very easy. The road rails are to mark the course for all of us to drive in between not to be used as a bumper or wall to keep us in our lane except for in some critical spots where there is a high speed lane adjacent like a straightaway. I have used the PVC pipe, 2x4's and 4x4's and the Road Rail Racing System has been the best overall. I have had many comments about how car friendly they are and yes, there have been a few instances where they have not. I took exception to the statement that they suck when that is not entirely true. Like any track system it has its goods and its bads, in the case at our track, definitely more goods. I agree, it is better to have someone who is out of control break on the barrier than another car. Do you all have a Sportsman (Beginner/Novice) Class where you race?? That is one way we try to help avoid those instances and the guys in the regular divisions help the Sportsman guys out with set-ups and any general needs they have. The goal for the Sportsman Division is to help those guys in rising to the level they want to compete. Some just prefer to stay in Sportsman because they just want to roll around the track and have fun, win -or- lose. No harm intended at all with you just trying to make some points and learn some at the same time.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:37 AM
Tech Adept

If you factor in the cost of Road rails, They do in fact, SUCK. They are very expensive compared to most every other solution, and are perfect for launching cars at other cars, turnmarshalls, drivers on the stand, and worst of all; spectators.

Right on the rails it even says "CAUTION! Not a barrier!" Lol.

One thing that really bites about them is that they are so easily crossed. You could be driving a perfect line and have your car destroyed because of somone else's mistake. That's no fun for either party involved.

Another thing is that they have to be repeatedly duct taped down, they move all over.

Lastly, they absolutely destroy 1/12 scale foams. Just graze them, and it gashes a huge chunk right off the rim.

If you have a nitro class and a 150' or longer straight, then those road ramps are quite hazordous. Do you think our hobby (or hobby shop owners) needs spectators getting injured?

I suppose they are decent in slow infield sections, but that is about it.

At the parking lot races I run, we use interlocked 2x4's (no edges to snag), but have foam discs at apexes. It works fairly well. Sometimes people break, of course. But, we don't have the innocent victim head-on collisions and we don't have cars flying off the track, either.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: "Lowe's Motor Speedway"

Originally posted by Hebiki
hey silver cup... how did you manage to let Lowe's let you race at their parking lot?

a buddy of mine runs his own track..and we're always looking for new locations. Lowes are usually set up near food places... can you PM me and let me know how you approached them? thanks!
Hebiki,
I had some connections that made it easier. You just have to be a salesman and let them know the benefits of having your racing in the parking lot. First off try to have copies of your drivers waiver forms, if you have them (extra liability protection) and give them copies to keep. Secondly show them pictures of how your track has been set-up prior to being there so they know what to expect and then see if they will go outside and try to locate a good spot for you to set-up. The other good selling point is to tkae some examples of cars so they can see and hold what your doing, it is very effective on selling the concept. We have had many people come to watch the races and then go in the store as an after thought of being there to see what was going on in the parking lot. The main thing is to just let them know that this is for fun and to bring in people to the store for them and a venue for you and your club. Good luck, let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

Actually, I have some ideas I'd like to implement that would be better in all regards.

A combination of astroturf and 2x4's will be my solution.

I plan to lay out the track using strips of astroturf 18" wide or so. In the middle of the astroturf i will set-up my existing 2x4's.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Talking Agree to disagree

Originally posted by Bodido
If you have a nitro class and a 150' or longer straight, then those road ramps are quite hazordous. Do you think our hobby (or hobby shop owners) needs spectators getting injured?

I suppose they are decent in slow infield sections, but that is about it.

At the parking lot races I run, we use interlocked 2x4's (no edges to snag), but have foam discs at apexes. It works fairly well. Sometimes people break, of course. But, we don't have the innocent victim head-on collisions and we don't have cars flying off the track, either.
We have never had any spectators injured or anything. I agree we have had to duct tape spots down where they move around a bit and we have virtually eliminated the head ons like I said by putting PVC pipe on top of the rails at the critical spots like straightaways and adjacent lines that are at speed. Your right, they are a bit expensive at around $12.50 per rail but once you have them you don't need to replace much if ever. 2x4 track pieces are bulky to store and the rails stack in our 6x12 trailer very nicely.

In most cases of what you have stated as being bad, we have countered to make the rails better. I guess I will just agree to disagree on the fact that they completely suck. I believe they don't and you believe they do. I am not rying to sell them to you I am just giving examlpes of how they have benefitted us at our track where most people do not have any issues with them.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Actually, I have some ideas I'd like to implement that would be better in all regards.

A combination of astroturf and 2x4's will be my solution.

I plan to lay out the track using strips of astroturf 18" wide or so. In the middle of the astroturf i will set-up my existing 2x4's.
What is the purpose for the astro turf? Won't the cars catch under it and/or skid on it and move it around? Do you guys have a pretty big track area and how many feet of Astro Turf do you figure you will need??

Let me know how that works for you, interesting idea........
Old 10-21-2004, 11:27 AM
Tech Regular

I agree with jonah. There should be more crash preventive measures. Sometimes it is not your fault you hit the wall....elec problems, bumped, and etc.
Telling jonah to drive better is not the answer...I'm sure he drives just fine. He is expressing disgust at the track owners for driving away the newer crowds with their harsh boards. I have been to many tracks that were noob friendly. It doesn't look that hard to maintain compared to some of these hasher layouts.
Crashing is the very discouraging. Crashing and breaking parts on the track is even more discouraging. Track directors should do their very best to make tracks fun not scary!
Old 10-21-2004, 11:29 AM
Tech Adept

The astroturf is really just there to trick drivers into keeping a safer distance from the boards. It should just unsettle the cars a bit, without breaking them.

I am a bit concerned about whether or not the turf will continue to lay flat at the edges after it ages some. So we'll have to just wait and see on that. The 2x4's will be on top of it to hold it in place.

I plan to start small with the stuff, and only use it where guys tend to push their luck and are an inch or two away from the boards every lap. If it works well, we'll keep adding more and more.

We do have a fairly large area to work with, so giving up the extra width won't hurt us a bit. In tight parking lots or indoors, this probably wouldn't be a good solution.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:53 AM
TNB
Tech Adept

On one of my RCP Mini-Tile tracks I have some off-road tiles, which are basically "fake dirt", prior to the barriers rails. This provides some leeway for the driver prior to hitting the rails. Of course, some may try to push the limit even farther; however, the off-road tiles won't provide the better traction of the two surfaces. To me, it's sort of like real 1:1 F1 racing because those drivers don't always bounce off the walls but end up in the kitty litter.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

My home track is deffinetly bigger than TNBs track but deffinelty small, we don't really have a shop there, there's one bloke which turns up with stuff you've ordered in the week and that's about it then he goes home but it's better than nothing

Chazz
Old 10-21-2004, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

The astroturf is really just there to trick drivers into keeping a safer distance from the boards. It should just unsettle the cars a bit, without breaking them.
I am a bit concerned about whether or not the turf will continue to lay flat at the edges after it ages some. So we'll have to just wait and see on that. The 2x4's will be on top of it to hold it in place.
I plan to start small with the stuff, and only use it where guys tend to push their luck and are an inch or two away from the boards every lap. If it works well, we'll keep adding more and more.
We do have a fairly large area to work with, so giving up the extra width won't hurt us a bit. In tight parking lots or indoors, this probably wouldn't be a good solution.
Good deal, the turf may tend to frey over time and/or curl up you huh? Well, the main thing is to make sure everyone is having fun......Good luck with your track.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.