Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 12-24-2014, 10:25 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hog grease! Howdy grandma! Hirsute Germans! Hubcap goofballs!

No clue, really.

Merry Xmas everyone!
Old 12-25-2014, 06:59 AM
Tech Regular

Merry Christmas guys,

This year one of our guys made a small appetizer for our local championship,
where we for the first time raced a special M-class in 2014.
In some small takes, you can see my M05Pro V2 Renault 5 Turbo, which made me very happy this year and was so fun to drive.
Canīt wait to see the full movie,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD93Ej7smSE

Br,
Matthias
Old 12-25-2014, 08:08 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by johntrickle2
Hello,
On some Tamiya M05 setup sheets there are three Damper choices 1)CVA 2)TRF 3)HG.

What is an HG shock?

Thanks.
I think it's referring to the 84118 High Grade Black Damper.

You may also see reference to a "HL" damper which I take is the Fluorine coated TRF damper cylinder 42134.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

I never quite managed to figure out what was the functional difference between these dampers (apart from instances where obvious size differences are present).
Old 12-25-2014, 11:26 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by ruebiracer
Merry Christmas guys,
Merry Christmas, Matthias. Love the video. The full version should be awesome!

Originally Posted by niznai
I never quite managed to figure out what was the functional difference between these dampers (apart from instances where obvious size differences are present).
Not much. It's a mini. Some good alloy dampers, or at least the Super Mini CVAs and life is good.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dadic 78
I put the M06 gear diff in with 500,000k fluid (guys are now running 2.5 million fluid at my track) and it made a WORLD of difference!
Okay, 2.5 million fluid - isn't that like packing it with Vasoline petroleum jelly? Has anyone done that - if so, did it work, would petroleum jelly ruin anything? (sorry for the stupid questions - I have no idea what 2.5 million fluid viscosity is like)

Originally Posted by Dadic 78
The aluminum upgrades are almost essential to add durability and decrease Tamiya ABS plastic slop. You'll want to upgrade to aluminum steering, spindles, c-hubs, and rear carriers.
I'm working on a "home brew" steering solution - will post photos and information later if it works out. I was very unhappy and surprised when I discovered how much slop exists in the OEM steering setup - seems like an engineering/design error?
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-my-m-05-build-087.jpg  
Old 12-26-2014, 06:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fresnojay
Red sand, I would contact Tamiya and let them know you have pictures you can send to explain your problem. They should handle it pretty quick for you. They have been good to me thus far.

YESSS!! They did send the parts quickly after I let them know about the problem.

THANK YOU TAMIYA!!!

Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-my-m-05-build-071.jpg  
Old 12-26-2014, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ruebiracer
Merry Christmas guys,

This year one of our guys made a small appetizer for our local championship,
where we for the first time raced a special M-class in 2014.
In some small takes, you can see my M05Pro V2 Renault 5 Turbo, which made me very happy this year and was so fun to drive.
Canīt wait to see the full movie,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD93Ej7smSE

Br,
Matthias
That actually looked really cool.
Ask him if he could maybe include one with english subtitles?
Old 12-26-2014, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Red Sand

YESSS!! They did send the parts quickly after I let them know about the problem.

THANK YOU TAMIYA!!!

Great news,
Now get to work!
Old 12-26-2014, 06:42 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Red Sand
Okay, 2.5 million fluid - would petroleum jelly ruin anything?
STOP!!! 2.5M is way thicker than petroleum jelly, but that's not the whole story. The way the fluid reacts under pressure, how "sticky" it is, etc, all matter as much as viscosity. Use a silicone fluid designed for the purpose, or you'll be cleaning a heck of a mess from the gearbox, motor, axles, off the track surface...

I'm working on a "home brew" steering solution...
I look forward to seeing this. I improvised something recently, as I misplaced the tiny washer Tamiya sent out as a revision for the steering. I made a tiny ring of 0.5mm solder and squashed it into place. Perfect!

Last edited by monkeyracing; 12-27-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:25 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Went to my first M-05 race today - there were six of us and for me, it was incredibly fun - totally fun!

I had some problems due to a lousy build: I used the wrong servo saver which would spin on large hits (splines would jump) but someone there gave me a Tamiya servo horn for a Hitec servo - problem solved!

Someone else let me borrow and then sold me a set of tires mounted on five spoke wheels: 33's for rear and 40's for front - this made a positive, significant difference. The OEM tires would slide somewhat predictably and I was getting used to the way they handled but the new tires made it almost a "point-&-shoot" game (ha).

Also, someone helped reprogram my ESC so I could get more power - also made a very nice improvement on the fast areas of the track

Overall summary: met some incredibly nice folks, had a wonderful time, look forward to the next run

Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-27-dec-2014-01.jpg  
Old 12-27-2014, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Congrats Red
Welcome to the true world of mini racing!
Remember have fun with it
Old 12-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ok guys second full race day after major tweaks to the setup from what it was during its debut. Well its handling was not improved at all. If anything its worst. I did try switching to M grips. The switch to M grips made the car go to the total polar opposite of tail whipping to out right not turning. I would have to slam on the brakes to shift weight forward to and slow down before it would turn in. The speed when turning had to be kept way low to avoid the hideous push. So I am wondering what I have done wrong. I feel I am missing something but am just at a loss. The chassis is set as a MWB. Here is a picture of the setup sheet how it currently sits. Its a V2 Pro.

Jason

P.S. Calvin I tried to get as close as I could to your setup minus the weight and the rear hexes. I need the aluminum uprights to run them
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-m05-12-27-14.jpg  
Old 12-27-2014, 07:39 PM
Tech Regular

Almost forgot. Good the hear red. Glad you got your replacement parts and had a good time. Most mini drivers in my experience are awesome people and very helpful.

Jason
Old 12-28-2014, 05:34 PM
Tech Regular

After talking with Calvin again over PM and studying what I apparently missed from a previous PM went to the track with some things to try. Needless to say the car is driveable and with some speed to boot. I have only to deal with the usual suspect of traction roll. Which I will gladly tackle as I have dealt with that before. Although my end result to me anyway looks a bit out of the norm from what others have done, the car does now work. Here is now my current setup that is working.

Jason

P.S. If you see something in the setup please feel free to give your ideas or input. Its always welcome.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-m05-12-28-14.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.