k&n air filter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

k&n air filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 04:49 PM
Tech Addict

so one does anyone know one of my original question then. is the Paris spec'd K&N the same as the "shiny" breather filter and is the Paris K&N as effective as say the Motorsaver filters.
Old 12-20-2003, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally posted by icon
so one does anyone know one of my original question then. is the Paris spec'd K&N the same as the "shiny" breather filter and is the Paris K&N as effective as say the Motorsaver filters.
They are not the same filter. The Paris one is made to fit the carby, the shiny one will not fit the carby as nicely. They may have the same actual filter eliment.

I cant tell you if it is as effective as the motorsaver, as I stopped using both filters quite some time ago.
The K&N allowed fine particles like foam dust and silt through and was way to expensive to purchace, and the Motorsavers were ok, but the foam GRP filters were much cheeper and do just as good a job for onroad use.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:08 PM
Tech Adept

I can tell you to 100% that all K&N filter products use the same element, from the largest off road filter down to the small crankcase breathers. They are all the same. They all filter among if not better than any other filtering element. The Ron Paris filter differs only in the mounting base, that is all.

The problem with all the misunderstanding on K&N is that most people think that the only way to filter is to be "in the way"-- a barier filter. This is how foam, paper, etc filter. They get in the way of the dirt. The provide a maze and hope the dirt gets caught along the way. K&N uses an attraction method that actually grabs the dirt. That is why the supposed "pinhole leaks" you see when you hold the fitler up are meaning less. The oil and guaze become like a dirt magnet. The clean air can then pass more freely into the carb.

Funny fact--the most efficient vaccum on the market currently has no barrier filter. It removes th dirt without ever getting in the way of the air. It actually uses a totally different method, but it is interesting that the most efficient cleaner uses no barrier method.

BTW--There can be problems with mouting and sealing with the non-paris K&n which is a very serious concern. Don't use any filter you can't mount and seal perfectly.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thank You 24601

I do have the RIGHT K&N breather filter and it fits EXCELLENT if not PERFECT. AND I USE A HOSE CLAMP made for it. BETTER than your simple zip tie that can come off during a crash.

chris

Not so fast sunshine and none the less nothing.

That is not what you implied in your previous post !

You used the paris K&N filter as an arguement against manticore even though manticore was talking about the "shiny" filter which is not the same as the rubber top paris filter.
As you were saying Evolution. My friend and I just talked to previous HEAD R&D at K&N. Said its EXACTLY the same filter element just changed the botom piece. He rememebers doing R&D work at K&N with PARIS with using his own personal R/C Car.

Chris

Last edited by 993power; 12-20-2003 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by 993power
As you were saying Evolution. My friend and I just talked to previous HEAD R&D at K&N. Said its EXACTLY the same filter element just changed the botom piece. He rememebers doing R&D work at K&N with PARIS with using his own personal R/C Car.

Chris
Where in my post did I say that they were not the same element?

I said they were not the same filters as a whole! If the breather ones were bullet proof for R/C use then why would paris want to design there own?

Dirt and dust does not only have to pass through the element to get into the engine !!!
Old 12-20-2003, 10:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by EVOLUTION
Where in my post did I say that they were not the same element?

I said they were not the same filters as a whole! If the breather ones were bullet proof for R/C use then why would paris want to design there own?

Dirt and dust does not only have to pass through the element to get into the engine !!!
forget it EVO, these people are talking about. and theory not always work right as in real life. as consumer like us, we always can say a product sucks as we are using the end product. i wonder if that guy knows what R&D means. we, as end user, we need test report, not R&D. and i did the test myself.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally posted by Manticore
forget it EVO, these people are talking about. and theory not always work right as in real life. as consumer like us, we always can say a product sucks as we are using the end product. i wonder if that guy knows what R&D means. we, as end user, we need test report, not R&D. and i did the test myself.
Maybe its top secret? I have never seen a K+N filter used by the top drivers - these guys live RC and do alot of testing to gain an extra edge over the competition. Maybe someone should email these guys about this break through!
Old 12-20-2003, 11:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Manticore
Very true but I think you past up the job of being a test pilot for them now !
Old 12-20-2003, 11:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by EVOLUTION
Very true but I think you past up the job of being a test pilot for them now !
I love my engine !! can you see the love?
Old 12-20-2003, 11:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally posted by Novarossi
Maybe its top secret? I have never seen a K+N filter used by the top drivers - these guys live RC and do alot of testing to gain an extra edge over the competition. Maybe someone should email these guys about this break through!
Come on Manti... you know its about who has the shiniest parts on their car... not what actually works the best. Its the bench race that matters... not the real race.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:36 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by sparksy
Come on Manti... you know its about who has the shiniest parts on their car... not what actually works the best. Its the bench race that matters... not the real race.
oh well, i agree to that if their so called "R&D" said it looks perfect on da bench !
Old 12-21-2003, 03:11 AM
Tech Elite

Some time ago we used a K&N filter and didn't find any problem with the actual filtering ability - I didn't know till now it was meant for a car breather and not for R/C.

But I sure did have issues keeping it on the carb satisfactorily. It just doesn't fit snugly enough to be able to use a zip tie. It really needs a hose clamp and that's just plain ugly, heavy, and inconvenient.

I'd like to see some convincing science before I went along with the dirt magnet theory, too. As far as I can see both the K&N and the foam filters work on the same principal - they force the air to take a torturous path through the element and the dust particles are thus flung outwards and caught/trapped by the oil. At least that's what they say about UniFilter car foam air filters.

Anyway, as sparksy says, the K&N sure wins bench races.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

You know what, everyone is right. Wether we disagree or agree, hey that will happen in any heated argument. Like I said everyone is intitled to ther own opinion. It can go around she said, he said kind deal, and get no where. Everyone shares their opinions.

My discussion ends here, until, I have proof to myself that it either sucks or can be successful. But that will be another time when all is done. I'll try doing a Filter Shoot out hahaha.

Take care guys and have a happy holidays

chris
Old 12-21-2003, 10:12 AM
Tech Champion

Thumbs up

finally you do understand that is the cool hard fact not everyone agree to what you said. consumers are smart and theory is just as suck as the shinny little filter