Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pit stops?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 02:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Pit stops?

I used to run 1/8 Nitro buggy back in the day and am thinking I might get back into it. With all the new buggies coming out I'm just itching to try one. One problem we used to have was finding enough people to pit for the racers. How do you guys handle pit stops?
Old 10-23-2013, 03:19 AM
psr
Tech Regular

Just ask some one at the race

Big events I con my misses into it
Old 10-23-2013, 03:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RapidRC
I used to run 1/8 Nitro buggy back in the day and am thinking I might get back into it. With all the new buggies coming out I'm just itching to try one. One problem we used to have was finding enough people to pit for the racers. How do you guys handle pit stops?
Find a guy in a different class that does not race right BEFORE you (he would have to be on the track to marshal right after his heat/race)
Old 10-23-2013, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Find someone or bring a friend
Old 10-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I don't have a dedicated pit guy either. I have found out some people just flat out will not do it. Last weekend I asked about 5 guys to pit for me. All said no. So I couldn't even run nitro. Had to run electric only.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nickdawg18
I don't have a dedicated pit guy either. I have found out some people just flat out will not do it. Last weekend I asked about 5 guys to pit for me. All said no. So I couldn't even run nitro. Had to run electric only.
Thats lame Whats so hard about putting some fuel in a tank.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Oh, that sucks Nick. Unfortunately that's what keeps me out of nitro. I don't want to invest all that $ and not be able to run when I want. Or, lose a race because some random guy doesn't know how to handle a pit stop.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Same thing happens here. No pit men, they are all out marshaling, can't afford to race, live too far away(IMO), other things to do, work, real life, wife, baby, kids, Metal detecting, etc.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RapidRC
Oh, that sucks Nick. Unfortunately that's what keeps me out of nitro. I don't want to invest all that $ and not be able to run when I want. Or, lose a race because some random guy doesn't know how to handle a pit stop.
Yea. I would like to have a dedicated pitman like i see all these other guys have, but my friends are always busy. My wife does it for me during practice but not the races. I mean damn, all you have to do is pick up the car, dump in some fuel and throw it back down. Maybe have to start it back up. And u only have to do it maybe 3 times in a 20 minute main. I do it for anyone else that asks me, but i guess karma hasnt came back around yet.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:19 PM
psr
Tech Regular

Ok I can't believe you guys find it hard to find some one to put for you
Must be the caliber of people I make a deal with guys at track I put them and they pit me

I can't believe you can't get some one to help we do it even if we are repairing our cars trucks
Like I can always find two to help out
I run truck and Buggy
Old 10-24-2013, 09:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I have actually pitted myself before because no one is available to pit. I pull off the track and pulled up near the drivers stand, ran down filled up, ran back up and drove back onto the track. Talk about being out of shape. So I won't let not having someone to pit me stop me from racing. Yeah it's a pain and takes longer but it's all about having some fun. Plus I get an intense workout. lol
Old 10-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thankfully my wife LOVES to pit me, and has been to every nitro race I've run.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sucks Big time. I can relate. I'm going to get an electric buggy primarily because I hate begging people to pit for me. I do have an idea though maybe someone can establish this... What if the race coordinators set up available pit personnel for an additional fee to the nitro racers that needed a dedicated Pit person. I think if someone packaged it right it would fly. Perhaps set it up to where the hired Pit Service would include not only Pit service but also marshalling. That would be schweet!
Old 10-24-2013, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

This x 10.

The bottom line is you should have a plan BEFORE you even show up to the race or there's a good chance you will be bitten in the ass. Either bring someone with you, or have someone who has committed themselves to pitting for you that will be there.

Even if you do find a random person at the track, you have to ask yourself: Do really want to trust some random person with your pitting? Handling a nitro main start properly, doing smooth and fast pit stops, etc. I've had terrible luck with finding random people (Just because of their inexperience with nitros. After all, the experienced nitro guys are probably going to be racing against you.)

Originally Posted by artis1
I do have an idea though maybe someone can establish this... What if the race coordinators set up available pit personnel for an additional fee to the nitro racers that needed a dedicated Pit person. I think if someone packaged it right it would fly. Perhaps set it up to where the hired Pit Service would include not only Pit service but also marshalling. That would be schweet!
That would just open the doors for people to complain about unfair pitting. That's why the old system works... it's your pit guy, your responsibility, it's who you trust. Blame yourself if it's a bad pit.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I'm fortunate enough to have my Dad 90% of the time when club racing. If he's marshaling, he can carry my fuel bottle. If there is an issue with pitting where he is marshalling (unfair due time advantage), drive thru pit lane to be fair.

If I have to grab a random dude, I let him know not to worry about it if I flame out. Fill it and don't worry about being the fastest pit guy on the planet.

At bigger races, its not an issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.