Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ok I give in. 1/8 brushless qustion's.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Ok I give in. 1/8 brushless qustion's.

Man I must say I was SUPER impressed today. We had a an ae backed driver (regional) at our track with a rc8b/e novak 6.5 (had all the rc8b parts on it). I have been looking to make the switch to brushless but was on the fence until.. (A).He was a second faster then our quickest 1/8 lap and (B).I lost a p5x (bad tank). The fuel/plugs/starter boxes ect. I think am done with nitro.
My question's are.
Honestly,are there better/cheaper systems than the 6.5? Or is it just as good as everything else out there right now?

What is the best (all in one if there is such thing) kit if I already own a rc8 (sans packs).

Packs? Last time I ran electric I was using 3300gp's

I need to do this cheap-er if I can. Where can I cut some corners (for lack of a better word) as far as equipment/pricing?
Is there anything I am forgetting about ( yes I have a good lipo charger)?
Sorry for the basic questions. I am not a newbie just new to brushless 1/8.
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

well i think the novak systems or the worst iv seen many blow up. i run the losi system with a 1700 kv motor and i also use a zippy flightmax 4s 25c lipo. they cost around 70 to 80 bucks . u can also try the mamba monster i v3 i have heard gret thinks about them.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

to what i have read...stay away from tekin motors for a wile yet till all the bad ones are found and fixed...lot of people that run cheeper motors run MedUsa. you could run a hobby wing esc (150 amp i do beleave is cooler running but little bulky) i have one and its great...motor from hobbywing is iffy but i just started too and have ben reading for a month now.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (99%+)

best thing to do now is get a mmm combo, you can find them for 250 or less, thats a MMM and a sweet motor, and then go to hobbycity.com for all your battery needs, i have about 5 different types and they are all sweet, hope that helps
Old 06-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

J.D.
I just did the switch myself. I bought the ESC and RC8 FT w/Tekno Conversion off ebay and bought the Medusa 3680 2200kv directly from Medusa (I love the Medusa after a 15 minute main temp only 138) I would probably go with the 3670 2200kv if I had to buy another one. I love it. Turns out the Tekno guys run at my local track so if I have questions I run and ask them. Right now a few of us are trying to come up with a "quick change" battery pack since we still run with the nitro guys. That way on the longer mains we can come and swap batteries out. Still in the works (beginning stages).
Old 06-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

i run a momba 2200 kv in my rc8t truggy with 2 smc 6000mah with a 28c rating and the nitro guys cant touch me on a long strightaway,i have run it in 6 races and a number of practice days and it has been flawless,there has been a lot of problems with the new tiken stuff so i would stayaway from them.what to watch is the c rating on the lipos,with the power of the brushless system and running in the dirt you dont need a ton of punch so buying high c rating isnt worth it if you cant get the power on the ground
Old 06-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I am running the Novak 7.5HV system in my RC8 and it runs great. It was the only car that I finished all of my qualifiers and main with at the 2009 Silver State race. That was over 60 min of running on one of the most brutal tracks around. Bob Novak and his staff also have excellent customer service.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

1/8th electric is a great class. But if you are doing it because you think it'll have less problems than nitro, you may be disappointed. Nitro engines have been pretty well worked out, this 1/8th electric stuff is still relatively new. I have seen race ending issues with all systems (novak, Mamba, Speed Passions, and Tekin). There is no perfect choice at this time. Luckily, they all seem to have excellent service.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:09 AM
Tech Elite

1/8th electric is a great class. But if you are doing it because you think it'll have less problems than nitro, you may be disappointed. Nitro engines have been pretty well worked out, this 1/8th electric stuff is still relatively new. I have seen race ending issues with all systems (novak, Mamba, Speed Passions, and Tekin). There is no perfect choice at this time. Luckily, they all seem to have excellent service.

I can understand that statment for sure. I have been running nitro for a few years and up until the past few weeks have had little problems finishing a race. My local track is small and perfect for a brushless system. After the smack down I got Sunday and losing a motor it got my gears turning.I guess I like the idea of the car having too much power

Brian..Are you running novaks conversion kit as well as the system?

I would assume with the right pack(s) the cars can do a 15 min main and need a pack switch for a 30?
We run them (gas/nitro) all together (right now). Longest main we have had was 10 min. so far and we just made the one electric car we had there do a stop and go.
Guys thanks again for any help.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi,

I think 20 minutes main is possible with the right combination. Some possible setups :

1) ESC - Castle Creations Mamba Monster Max (personal experience with it). Hobbwing 150A (heard good things about it but limited to 4S for now) (est. USd150+)

2) Motor - Medusa 36mm 60mm 2000kv (personal experience but watch out for the endbell). Medusa 36mm 60mm 1600kv (just had one delivered - will try it on 5S) (est. USD 110+)

3) battery - Zippy (or equivalent) 4S or 5S depending on motor kv. Can go for 4S 6000mah or 5S 5000mah. I also like polyquest (est. less than USD100)

4) Motor mount - i think www.rc-monster.com sells a mount for the rc8 (est. USD50+)

5) Battery tray - 2mm Al C section + a couple of hole & velcro will do

6) Pinion - hardened mod 1 5mm bore pinion with same teeth count as stock nitro gearing as a start (est. USd10+)

Hope I didn't miss out anything.

Regards,
Joe Ling
Old 06-29-2009, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

check out impakt rc they have an awesome help guide and they carry all the tekno conversion kits
http://www.impaktrc.com/index.php?cPath=22_356
as for esc, motor, and battery i would go with
MMM V3 W/2200kv motor and a polyrc 6000mah 25c battery. i have run this setup and have never had a problem.
personally i would stay away from the novak conversions and esc the reason:
1. the kit only fits their motor no other motor will fit.
2. i have seen way to many problems with the stuff over heating and shutting down.
here is the FAQ's page that can help you decide
hope this helps.
http://www.impaktrc.com/product_info...oducts_id=3275
Old 06-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

The best setup I have found as far as bang for your buck would have to be a MMM combo with a 2200KV. It is still a little bit too much motor for buggy, but you can turn down the timing all the way and just go a couple teeth up on the pinion and it will smooth out. Castle also has great customer service, so if anything ever does go wrong, your dealing with good people.

For batteries, I would go with Zippys or the new SMC packs. Atleast a 25C rating for sure, and try for 30c+ if you can. I have the new Zippy 25c 5000 4s packs and love them. Much better than the Poly RC 6000 4s I had when I first started, and 1/4 the price!

As far as cars go, I just switched back to AE from Losi and I am loving it. I actually picked up the AE RC8E kit (not the LE) for $279 from my LHS, built it, and threw it down at the track 2 weeks ago. I was a full lap ahead of my best time with my Losi on the first night, and ended up finishing two laps up on the field last week in expert buggy. Thats with the BOX STOCK setup! It may be worth it to check out that car rather than converting your current car, its nice!
Old 06-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Will the ae conversion kit work with the mmm combo?
Old 06-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Tech Adept

I have the MMM 2200kv in my rc8e buggy on twin SMC 5200mah 40C packs and love it, as for novak the ones i have seen have not been good
Old 06-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Racerx336
As far as cars go, I just switched back to AE from Losi and I am loving it. I actually picked up the AE RC8E kit (not the LE) for $279 from my LHS, built it, and threw it down at the track 2 weeks ago. I was a full lap ahead of my best time with my Losi on the first night, and ended up finishing two laps up on the field last week in expert buggy. Thats with the BOX STOCK setup! It may be worth it to check out that car rather than converting your current car, its nice!
Rc8e for $279?! thats a smoking price, I thought they were like 350-400?
After learning with my converted hyper 7, I want a car that was designed for e-1/8th

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.