Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
FX Royal Racing Engine Thread >

FX Royal Racing Engine Thread

Like Tree61Likes

FX Royal Racing Engine Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 02:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrokiller123
Do you really believe that? What businessman (and he is a quite good one, he's proven that) spends millions on machines and never ever expects a profit?
Howard Hughes (used his own money to complete aircraft projects after the orders were cancelled).

Bugatti, Lexus and others. Veyron and LFA cost more to make then they can sell them for.

Movie studios. Very few movies actually make back their budget. Most lose money. It's that one mega-hit every now and then that makes them the money.

People do things that may not make money all the time. They do it out of passion or to "enhance the brand" to boost sales of other products or speculation (throw money at ten different projects in the hopes that one will pan out), etc.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:11 PM
Tech Master

I'm just not taken in by this "low light CSI color theme promo video" stuff.
It's just not realistic for me.

And at that price point.. I can buy OS Speed or Nova btt full ceramic. Proven winner engines.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eivind E
And at that price point.. I can buy OS Speed or Nova btt full ceramic. Proven winner engines.
Engines look great. I'm sure there will be more reviews when they finally arrive in America, but you're point is correct. Hudy has said they have no intentions or budget to sponsor big name drivers, so unless their plans change, they won't have a lot of the following of people wanting to run what top drivers run - and marketability of being a National/Euros/World Champ, etc.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rsickles
Engines look great. I'm sure there will be more reviews when they finally arrive in America, but you're point is correct. Hudy has said they have no intentions or budget to sponsor big name drivers, so unless their plans change, they won't have a lot of the following of people wanting to run what top drivers run - and marketability of being a National/Euros/World Champ, etc.

Isnt it funny how an engine/Chassis/tires can win a world championship and people run out to buy them? Like the drivers mad skills had nothing to do with the win. I think the only chassis that did not benefit from a major showing at the worlds was the Hyper 9. Jeremy Kortz wheeled that thing to 4th place overall and it was dropped a year later. He did it with a $200 engine also
Old 07-31-2013, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Isnt it funny how an engine/Chassis/tires can win a world championship and people run out to buy them? Like the drivers mad skills had nothing to do with the win. I think the only chassis that did not benefit from a major showing at the worlds was the Hyper 9. Jeremy Kortz wheeled that thing to 4th place overall and it was dropped a year later. He did it with a $200 engine also
2010 Pattaya Worlds
Kortz finished 6th
Old 07-31-2013, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eivind E
I'm just not taken in by this "low light CSI color theme promo video" stuff.
It's just not realistic for me.

I was blown away by the specialized machinery that is used to make this engine. All looks to be top of the line and very expensive. I am a cnc machinist and wish I could work with some of that equipment.

Rex
Old 07-31-2013, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Isnt it funny how an engine/Chassis/tires can win a world championship and people run out to buy them?
Yeah, and I'm guilty of that too. I think all of us are to a degree.

But sometimes the psychological benefit of confidence can be huge. If you're running "proven" equipment, at least you know it's you [the driver] sucking, not the equipment. So you can focus on driving. The negative psychology of running something you don't feel confident in, or start questioning if it's your equipment and start messing with, can be huge for some people.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:50 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by nitroexpress
2010 Pattaya Worlds
Kortz finished 6th
Ok I stand corrected but dude!, Hyper 9 and an off the shelf Werks B6! To me that was the next best thing to Hara winning with a Hot Bodies even though his car was mostly custom.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Ok I stand corrected but dude!, Hyper 9 and an off the shelf Werks B6! To me that was the next best thing to Hara winning with a Hot Bodies even though his car was mostly custom.
Jeremy Kortz is a badass tho. If he only had an Rc car to worry about he would be the best but unfortunately he has a bigger life outside Rc that he takes care of. That result did surprise me but I'm sure a lot will agree that we all know he has it in him to put his car in a great spot when he feels on. No matter what the car is talent is talent.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:25 AM
Tech Adept

As lots of people have stated, If they prove to be fantastic engines and start winning races they will sell allot. 10,000 engines at $350 a pop is 3.5 million dollars. World wide 10,000 engines sold is not all that many for a years time. I think after 2-3 years his equipment is paid for and its all gravy after that. Of course the engines have to be dialed for this to happen.
Wouaw, love your calculations, when he sells 10 000 units he will be very far away from making 3,5 million$ , as there is all the costs of metals to make those engine, even if he is in Slovakia he still has to pay people to work, there is the margin of the importer and the margin of the retailers, I would say That out of 350$ a piece, if he gets 80$ back to the company once paid all the costs, That will be a lot. But I am pretty sure he won't even get That. It's going to take years to get his investment back will all the R and D That he had to do before production and buying all those top of the line production tools,if he ever get's it back.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxr17
Wouaw, love your calculations, when he sells 10 000 units he will be very far away from making 3,5 million$ , as there is all the costs of metals to make those engine, even if he is in Slovakia he still has to pay people to work, there is the margin of the importer and the margin of the retailers, I would say That out of 350$ a piece, if he gets 80$ back to the company once paid all the costs, That will be a lot. But I am pretty sure he won't even get That. It's going to take years to get his investment back will all the R and D That he had to do before production and buying all those top of the line production tools,if he ever get's it back.
+1 - purely simple business model economics. Don't forget the taxes, export duties etc that HUDY would incur as well. It will take him ALOT more than 3 years even if they do 'hypothetically' sell 10,000 units per annum for HUDY to start making reasonable net profit after the initial investment in what would have to be in the millions of $$$ worth of machinery and thousands of $$$ spent on R&D, especially given the relatively small profit margins made on RC products, particulalry those items that are not produced and soruced from R.O.C/taiwan.

From the release/MAP pricing I've seen...it's gonna take a long time to achieve this.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wombat
+1 - purely simple business model economics. Don't forget the taxes, export duties etc that HUDY would incur as well. It will take him ALOT more than 3 years even if they do 'hypothetically' sell 10,000 units per annum for HUDY to start making reasonable net profit after the initial investment in what would have to be in the millions of $$$ worth of machinery and thousands of $$$ spent on R&D, especially given the relatively small profit margins made on RC products, particulalry those items that are not produced and soruced from R.O.C/taiwan.

From the release/MAP pricing I've seen...it's gonna take a long time to achieve this.
In a perfect world, return on investments should be done in a range of 5 years, but considering the economical situation,the hobby business and the poor margin, I would say That if he breaks even in a 10 years range, he should be lucky. Without the hudy and xray brands behind making benefits to pay the losses in the FX engines part, I don't think he would have been able to produce That engine in those conditions ( made in eu, in house and all materials from Europe ) his only other choice would have been to get it made in Asia (loss of quality and quality control) or get a maker like os and rebadge their products.
For me Mr hudy is a courageous man and we should all thank him for That.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Does RCA have them on their site?

Last edited by Motorman007; 08-02-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by mxr17
I dont recall saying he would make $350 per engine. I said the total would be 3.5 million dollars. I understand his profit is just a slight percentage of that.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have to say that I am genuinely intrigued by this engine coming out from Hudy.

I see a lot of wisdom in the whole design and marketing. They were smart and went after the very core of the engine build - they didn't necessarily reinvent the Nitro engine as it is today. Instead, they built the foundation to build whatever they want.

They aren't necessarily building a dynamite engine right off the bat - the engine coming out I am guessing will be mediocre, and that is totally okay. Play it safe - tell a story about durability and dependability first, then performance.

But, they have unsurpassed technology (maybe not by Novarossi - unsure) to go right back to the drawing board with ideas and lessons learned. Just the beginning of a potential legacy of great engines....

Well played Hudy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.