Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many tires to bring for race?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I bring everything I have. 1 full box of tires.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rfleck
Bring everything you have, strap them to the roof of your car if you have to
^^^ Gold
Old 07-06-2012, 01:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks all for sharing your thoughts with me. I've decided to bring one sets of iBeam SS, S and M and 1 sets of Impact SS, S and M. As I will also be running truggy, need to bring those truggy tires also.

The track works well with iBeam and Impact. A lot of the drivers love Impact but I feel iBeam suit me better.

It gets very hot in the afternoon at around 39C (about 102F) so the medium impact might do the job well. I know Enduro work well on very hot and blue groove but so is impact thus I think I've got myself covered (hopefully)

Will be sharing a ride down to the track with my friend so got to leave some space for him too including the car roof
Old 07-06-2012, 01:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

-
Old 07-06-2012, 04:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

if its your local track.. you should know which tires work and walk those .... if its weekend race and its a long way.. walk with the house man.. you never know...
Old 07-06-2012, 05:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kgombe
if its your local track.. you should know which tires work and walk those .... if its weekend race and its a long way.. walk with the house man.. you never know...
Agreed, each and every time I have left without a part, I've ended up needing that part. Especially if I had the part in had and thought "nah, I'm not gonna need that".
Old 07-06-2012, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Boxes, Soft to Hard. Big pis to small pin....;
Old 07-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Bus
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by token
Boxes, Soft to Hard. Big pis to small pin....;
LOL sure if your pockets are DEEEEEEEEP!!!!

If your like me and race on a budget get to track find out what the Top Pro is running go buy a that set for the weekend. And make sure they last! For the main! lol
Old 07-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Bus

If your like me and race on a budget get to track find out what the Top Pro is running go buy a that set for the weekend. And make sure they last! For the main! lol
Ahhh, grasshopper.... But does having a ton of tires on hand increase the cost of racing???

I'm on a budget, took most of last year off so I could have a decent budget this year. I buy at least 8 pairs of tires for my 2 buggies, but that deosn't mean I blow through them any quicker than others. In fact because I have options I get more life out of my tires.

I'll runn slightly worn tires in Q1, Q2. And my best tires in Q3 and Main.
Eventually the Q1, Q2 tires end up as practice tires.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

At my local track, I bring two types, Impacts and Citiblocks, in soft. When I go to a new track, I'll ask what everyone else is using. However, I'll usually just bring Impacts and Citiblocks, in soft.

I'm a "go w/ what I know" sort of guy. I know those tires will work for me anywhere.

As far as how long I use tires, I'll run Q1 and Q2 using my tires from the previous race's "main event". Then I'll run Q3 and the "main event" w/ new tires or newer tires. It's a weird system.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

I'm on a budget as well. I have almost 2 full boxes of a 3 box hauler bag full. Most new. At one time there were only 1 to 2 choices. Which made it easier. I run them till they are no longer competitive.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hi Guys,

I know the track well. Even though it's not our local track I've practiced on that track often. The tires they run there are Impact and iBeam. Impact being the favorite but for myself, I get better results with iBeam. I know what tires needed, it just should I bring 2 sets or 1 sets of each in different compound. I'm also racing truggy so if I were to bring two sets for each plus the truggy tires it get way too many. That exclude the rest of the stuff that I have to bring.

One of the guy earlier highlighted something very important, the total run time for the race is not more than 45 mins thus running one set would be good enough. At least I have the ibeam and impact to play with.

I've tested Gridiron and cityblock on that track and it is definitely not working. No grip at all for gridiron and cityblock slightly better than gridiron. So I'm confident I won't come to the situation of "why didn't I bring gridiron or city block" kind of situation :ioi: But I will be bringing lots of spare parts though, lots of them :ioi:
Old 07-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

The temp of air, track and abrasiveness of the track will dictate what you will need.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I bring all of mine, but usually end up using Gridirons in soft or supersoft, or Impacts in soft or super soft.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bus

Nope, its all in how you shop... Im on a budget, but my stuff is hooked up cause I know how to shop for this stuff....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.