Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders! >

MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree99Likes

MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 11:16 AM
EF5
Tech Initiate

People spend hundreds and thousands of dollars every year to upgrade to the newest version of a car that may have a few revisions but after all this time complain about the transponders. This hobby is expensive. If you had a transponder for 5-10 years what is the actual cost over time. I understand not wanting to spend the money but if the new software does thing better but can't support the old transponders, well that is just progression. I'm more mad about my older cell phones that get upgraded and don't work well anymore. That is roughly $400 every 2 years.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EF5
People spend hundreds and thousands of dollars every year to upgrade to the newest version of a car that may have a few revisions but after all this time complain about the transponders. This hobby is expensive. If you had a transponder for 5-10 years what is the actual cost over time. I understand not wanting to spend the money but if the new software does thing better but can't support the old transponders, well that is just progression. I'm more mad about my older cell phones that get upgraded and don't work well anymore. That is roughly $400 every 2 years.
I'm still using my TC3 that I bought over 15 years ago. I bought my transponders last year. Do I get to complain?
billdelong and DRTMI like this.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EF5

But they don't do anything better....
billdelong and DRTMI like this.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EF5
The problem is choice. People get to choose to spend money on new equipment. Being told you must but something with no added value is annoying at best.
billdelong, DRTMI, Yorick and 1 others like this.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I heard the newer ones will be more aerodynamic to shave lap times.......j/k
DRTMI likes this.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I am waiting for the new model that subtracts a half a second off my lap times....
Old 11-01-2017, 06:06 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
I'm still using my TC3 that I bought over 15 years ago. I bought my transponders last year. Do I get to complain?
No, if you purchased one of the older used ones then you were taking the risk. Again why are people comparing a stand alone product to something that requires a device controlled by a 3rd party. If mylaps decided to kill off ALL transponders today, every single mylaps would quit working. If AE decided to kill off the TC7, it would keep working. This is because its a stand alone product. Its apple to oranges when this comparison is made.

If you purchased one of the newer 3 wires then why even make this comment? (I get your being factious, but so em I)
Old 11-01-2017, 06:15 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jkaetz
The problem is choice. People get to choose to spend money on new equipment. Being told you must but something with no added value is annoying at best.
But they are only killing off older transponders, ones that have been in use for YEARS. Its not like they are killing off newer 3 wire transponders, so the only people who haven't had these things for years is, people who bought them used, which is at a discount, or people who have had them for years. After several years of use, its fully depreciated.

The used market hurts manufactures. If enough of your older product is around and still works, why would people spend money on new ones. A company can only make money when selling product.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Darkgenerals
... If mylaps decided to kill off ALL transponders today, every single mylaps would quit working...
just to clarify... any track has the right to continue using older decoders so I don't think the older units will stop working, but I can see a problem if MyLaps stops selling hybrid PTX's then folks buying the newer stuff might not work at a track running older systems.

I've checked with 2 track owners in my area and they assured me they are not going to upgrade their firmware anytime soon (if ever).

Again, This whole problem is moot if tracks who buy new systems can downgrade to older firmware.

*** I think the weirdest part is that MyLaps has abandoned the concept of "House PTX's"... that is the gateway to bringing in new blood!

*** The real irony would be if MyLaps stops selling hybrids, then they can potentially kill off their own market share and force folks to buy only from MRT for tracks who refuse to upgrade, doh!
jasburrito likes this.

Last edited by billdelong; 11-01-2017 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gee-dub
^This.

I do not fault a company that invests to create/fill a market need by developing a suite of products, only to have to compete against some third party coming along and 'piggybacking' on a small (most profitable?) part of that business, from taking steps to protect their investment and viability.

For all the complaints otherwise, if there truly was a profitable business model to develop a comprehensive competing solution, doesn't it make sense someone (or many someones) would have been lining up to grab that opportunity? Maybe having to invest to build-out the entire thing just isn't that profitable - in which case is it really fair to bash MyLaps for taking this step?

As a consumer, this doesn't have to mean we have to like the change. Though perhaps some of the 'energy' being directed at MyLaps should be focused elsewhere - like those only providing a 'half a solution'? (Not encouraging this)
THIS GUY ACTUALLY GETS IT!

Old 11-01-2017, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by billdelong
just to clarify... any track has the right to continue using older decoders so I don't think the older units will stop working, but I can see a problem if MyLaps stops selling hybrid PTX's then folks buying the newer stuff might not work at a track running older systems.

I've checked with 2 track owners in my area and they assured me they are not going to upgrade their firmware anytime soon (if ever).

Again, This whole problem is moot if tracks who buy new systems can downgrade to older firmware.

*** I think the weirdest part is that MyLaps has abandoned the concept of "House PTX's"... that is the gateway to bringing in new blood!

*** The real irony would be if MyLaps stops selling hybrids, then they can potentially kill off their own market share and force folks to buy only from MRT for tracks who refuse to upgrade, doh!
1) Both the current 3 wire RC4 PT as well as the the Hybrid 2 wire PT will continue to work at any track, even if tracks upgrade to the new 4.5 firmware that kills the AMBrc PT's.

2) "House" PT's, which are becoming near non existent, will still work the same as the AMBrc PT's. Assuming your track doesn't do the firmware upgrade, which is NOT required!
Old 11-01-2017, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

If you want to point any blame. Point it at the cheap guy in the pits next to you who is running a KNOCK OFF MRT transponder. MRT piggybacks off the investment of MyLaps and their scoring system to produce and sell the cheapest part of any scoring system, the PT. Mylaps isn't stopping anyone from creating a competitive decoder or software, they're simply trying to protect their product and investment from rats like MRT.

IMO

Claim you would do any different if you were Mylaps and I would call you a LIAR.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

FYI. Based on these resent events I would bet that Mylaps and their dealers will offer their own trade in program shortly. I have a rough idea but I won't speculate on what that dollar amount is..
Old 11-01-2017, 12:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
If you want to point any blame. Point it at the cheap guy in the pits next to you who is running a KNOCK OFF MRT transponder. MRT piggybacks off the investment of MyLaps and their scoring system to produce and sell the cheapest part of any scoring system, the PT. Mylaps isn't stopping anyone from creating a competitive decoder or software, they're simply trying to protect their product and investment from rats like MRT.

IMO

Claim you would do any different if you were Mylaps and I would call you a LIAR.
I would encourage you to read the following articles:
https://www.theatlantic.com/business...siness/514358/

+

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_engineering

To quickly summarize both articles, what MRT is doing is perfectly legal, what MyLaps is doing is unethical and hurting the industry as a whole. Don't just take my word on it, please read the articles to gain a deeper understanding of what's happening.
DRTMI and oldernoob like this.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

And https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competition_law
billdelong likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.