Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ur first racing experience....

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 11:52 PM
Suspended

Default ur first racing experience....

ok what everybodies first racing experience? i just wanna get some idea on what to do and what to avoid. share ur experience pls......
Old 11-14-2002, 05:27 PM
Tech Adept

well... my first race was with a second hand ob4 i bought the night b4 the race meet, i was so crap, i went too fast into the hairpin and shicanes and crashed alot, also my engine was very badly tuned and i was sooo nervous i was sweating like a pig
Old 11-14-2002, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

First race...hmmmm...

Well, I had a stock 15 fe and a single speed. Everyone else had at least a cv or better (mostly better from what I saw), and everone had a two speed.

Well I decided I should go and take a few practice laps... But I went on the track when there was the most racers on. On the back stretch, came a bunch of the guys that love to race when the race is not going on, and while they are focus on their cars, my car is losing tons of ground and just before the corner came...

The first guy nailed my car and the wheel rolled away out of site.

when I went down, someone gave me my wheel and said "ya got a problem." he was right, my axle sheared off at the drive pin hole...

Oh well the race director helped me get a new axle from someone and I had a fun time after that.
Old 11-14-2002, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

It's helpful to know whether you will be racing nitro or electric. Obviously, you have different concerns depending on which you are running. Some general stuff that I recommend for new racers are as follows:

1. Take it easy! It's supposed to be fun, so don't feel like you have to be the fastest guy on the track. Learn how to keep the car on the track, make it through the turns and avoid other cars. In the beginning, you wil have faster laptimes if you go slowly and try to stay in the middle of the track. If you go too fast and wind up stuck on the boards, you will lose a lot of time, so keep the speed down until you know the limits of the car on the track. I suggest you make as much use as possible of the practice time.

2. Don't race with other cars. You will likely be on the track with more experienced racers. If someone is behind you, take a turn wide and let them through. I would also try and avoid passing other cars as much as possible until you learn more. Many racers are very intense and get very upset when they get tangled up with someone. If you can stay out of that situation until you get more experience, you will have a more enjoyable time racing.

3. Make sure you don't forget anything! Bring an extra set of transmitter batteries, extension cord, power strip, soldering iron and any tool that you think might be useful. Bring all the spare parts you have for the car. You never know what you might need. Most racers will be happy to loan you things, but it's always better to be the guy doing the loaning.

4. Ask questions. Before your first heat, go and talk to the race director and ask him/her what you should do. Make sure the transponder will mount on correctly and that your car is within the rules for the class you are racing in. The race director should be happy to tech your car. If they see something that's not right, you can get some valuable advice that way. If your track does a driver meeting, stick around afterward and make sure you know what to do when your heat comes up. I also suggest that you pay attention to what the racers do in the heats before yours.

5. Turn marshall! After your race is finished, turn in your transponder, put your car back in your pit area and get to the side of the track to marshall. When you turn marshall, don't watch the race. Watch your section of the track. When you hear a crash, look over to see what's going on. Another marshall may not be paying attention and you might be able to help. When you marshall a car, pay attention to other cars on the track. You don't want to ruin anyone's race by stepping on their car and you can be seriously hurt if you get hit by a car. Keep in mind that racers require your assistance because of something they did, not something you did. Sometimes racers may have the tendancy to scream at turn marshalls that don't leap over a train of cars coming down the back straight. Let them scream until it is safe to marshall the stricken car. Often times another marshall can get there quickly if there are no cars in that section of the track.

6. If you don't have a frequency clip, don't turn on your radio! It is very likely that another racer will be on the channel(s) that you have. If you need to make some adjustment to your car that requires you turn on the radio, go get the clip. Just because you turn on your receiver and nothing happens to the car doesn't mean that no one is using the freq. At the tracks I race at, you will be asked to leave if you're caught turning on your radio without a clip or during a race. You will ruin someone's race or entire race day if you cause their car to runaway.

7. Have fun! Never forget that these are toy cars. It's supposed to be fun.

Hopefully that is some of the info you're looking for. Good luck and I hope you finish well in your race!
Old 11-14-2002, 06:14 PM
Tech Initiate

hehe my first race was my only race it was in my very very stck v-one-s with nothin stck gs-15r and a 1 speed. I won!! it was because i had been bashin with cars since i was 4 but they were mostly like radioshack cars and because i was up against very small people and almost a stock cars it was fun only went for the first race and then had to go... but it was fun cant wait until i race again!!
Old 11-14-2002, 09:16 PM
Tech Regular

My first race was an off road race actually. I had a Kyosho Ultima. This was yrs ago.... Oh, I'd say about 7 yrs ago or so. I was totally newb, still am for the most part anways, I was fine for about 3 laps but then started to get in people's way and started hitting other cars and I bounced off the boards alot and ended up losing control and flew off the track. Wasnt a pretty sight. I'm a much better driver now I think. Back then I had the turn marshals working over time and I pissed alot of people off. Good thing I was just a kid, cause I think I would have gotten more flack if I was older.

Last edited by calimassive; 11-14-2002 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Default Really good posts

psycho;
You really put up a good post. I don't think anyone could have done better, really.
Old 11-15-2002, 03:13 AM
Tech Master

I agree w/ pops assesment of Psycho's guide to racing as well, except that if I wrote it, my version would be a lot shorter (but not quite as good) .

If your track uses personal transponders than you can disregard the part about turning it in. The likelyhood that your going to be at a track w/ more traditional transponders is higher than the likelyhood you'll be at a track w/ personal transponders.

Also, if someone obviously thinks these are more than just toy cars, it would be best to stay away from them b/c they detract from all of the fun at the track.

Numbers 1 and 2 are the hardest for some guys new to racing to learn, understand and actually do. Make sure you are courteous to others and they will be courteous to you in return. And also watch how the fast guys get around the track. They set a goal for what your car should be able to do once you've gotten a lot of experience. In the beginning, just work on getting around the track.
Old 11-15-2002, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Gosh guys, you're making me blush!
Old 11-15-2002, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Default Toy Cars!!!!

R/C Cars are: Precision Miniature Racing Machines!!!!
And with all the headaches that go with that name. (Fun Too)
Old 11-16-2002, 05:33 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Toy Cars!!!!

Originally posted by popsracer
R/C Cars are: Precision Miniature Racing Machines!!!!
And with all the headaches that go with that name. (Fun Too)

They are toys though.
Old 11-16-2002, 10:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

my first time racing was with a grasshopper & the timer type charger the timer got stuck andvented 2 cells one going off like
a 12 gauge shotgun lost that pack and put a sub c sized dent in the hood of my toyota pickup
Old 11-16-2002, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

my first race was in manila racing my cousins tamiya rough rider
my cousin had the sand scorcher and both of us lost to some
kid with a tamiya wild willy. it was pretty embarassing.
Old 11-16-2002, 01:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

my first race was with a jrx2 i built myself the night before when i was about 14 and i wouldnt call it racing it broke nearly every round

my advice is to take it slow try not to hit anything a really slow car that doesnt crash will almost always beat a fast car that wrecks often

i am always telling people to slow down and they never listen and soon i am helping them fix their car
Old 11-18-2002, 03:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My first race meet was the start of one of the biggest vices ever. Carefull, don't get ADDICTED! Seriously just take it easy...... To finish first, first you must finish. (Thats rules No 1, learn that one first)

i just wanna get some idea on what to do and what to avoid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.