Community
Wiki Posts
Search

At what point are we too big bore?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default At what point are we too big bore?

I am curious, at what point do we hit the sweet spot on "big bore" shocks? Or, are we eventually going to be running LST shocks on our Buggies?

Curious, anyone try that?
Old 09-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

I stole some shocks off a Honda Civic. I think I'm gonna give em a shot this weekend. What oil you think!
Old 09-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You know, i wouldn't doubt that shocks from a Honda Civic would fit on a Truggy, hell, Civics are practically toy cars anyways!
Old 09-08-2008, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cain
I am curious, at what point do we hit the sweet spot on "big bore" shocks? Or, are we eventually going to be running LST shocks on our Buggies?

Curious, anyone try that?
Bigbores are a cunning way for manufacturer's to sell more shock oil, I am not convinced they are any better than standard shocks. Going any bigger than 16mm is definitely a waste of time and would just add weight.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

the only thing LST shocks are good for are Tank like MT's.....LST's Savage's Cen's.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Tech Addict

Xray XB808 with LST shocks coming soon.....

That would look freaky....

Hey do they have softer springs for the LST shocks.....?
Old 09-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CarCrazy
Xray XB808 with LST shocks coming soon.....

That would look freaky....

Hey do they have softer springs for the LST shocks.....?
You know someone is going to try it!!! I'd like to see picts..
Old 09-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think there is some merit to a big bore shock set....more oil volume means longer for the oil to heat up and thin out while the greater surface area of the body also helps with heat dissipation. Those I know who've run big bores say the only place they see any real gain is on ultra rough tracks late in long mains which tends to support the above.

Increased oil volume is also a very neat way to get a noticeable change in shock action by simply going up or down a few points on oil viscosity rather than the time consuming task of actually tuning your shocks by reducing stiction, playing with piston hole sizes and oil/spring combinations, etc.

If you subscribe to the KISS principle, it's a much more practical solution to more consistent shock action over long run time duration than the remote reservoir concept, but I also think shock size will (if it's not already) reach a point of diminishing returns due to the added weight, but this is America, where if bigger is better, MUCH bigger must be much better. Time will tell if the big bore concept moves from the practical to just another marketing tool designed more to hook racers on a car than hook cars to the track.

I guess until shock systems employing oils which change viscosities in reaction to electrical impulses like those being used in top end 1:1 off road racers become practical for toy car use, big bores (within reason) are the simplest, most cost effective solution to mass production of prebuilt shocks that actually work.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

It will come down too my dads shocks are bigger than your's dads shocks
Old 09-09-2008, 01:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pdmustgt
It will come down too my dads shocks are bigger than your's dads shocks
So very true!
Old 09-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fhm555
I think there is some merit to a big bore shock set....more oil volume means longer for the oil to heat up and thin out while the greater surface area of the body also helps with heat dissipation. Those I know who've run big bores say the only place they see any real gain is on ultra rough tracks late in long mains which tends to support the above.

Increased oil volume is also a very neat way to get a noticeable change in shock action by simply going up or down a few points on oil viscosity rather than the time consuming task of actually tuning your shocks by reducing stiction, playing with piston hole sizes and oil/spring combinations, etc.

If you subscribe to the KISS principle, it's a much more practical solution to more consistent shock action over long run time duration than the remote reservoir concept, but I also think shock size will (if it's not already) reach a point of diminishing returns due to the added weight, but this is America, where if bigger is better, MUCH bigger must be much better. Time will tell if the big bore concept moves from the practical to just another marketing tool designed more to hook racers on a car than hook cars to the track.

I guess until shock systems employing oils which change viscosities in reaction to electrical impulses like those being used in top end 1:1 off road racers become practical for toy car use, big bores (within reason) are the simplest, most cost effective solution to mass production of prebuilt shocks that actually work.
thinking on this idea, big bores thinner side walls more susceptible to outside temps, plus once the oil has thinned theres no extra material to transfer heat or maybe the thinner side walls will work faster, standard shocks possibly thicker walls maybe not if they do better heatsink and less prone to air temp plus a std shock if designed longer in the body can hold equal amounts of oil also but still have the advantage of more material, who knows as for the original question i think any bigger will be silly really
Old 09-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I saw a set of 17mm big bore shocks. They were being sold on ebay.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Big bores made me 1/2 second faster....................

In the 40 yard dash................

B/C my pocket was lighter!!!

lol
Actually I will get them for my rc8 soon. Gotta pay to play,
and I doubt anybody will just let me borrow them to try out.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slow coach
thinking on this idea, big bores thinner side walls more susceptible to outside temps, plus once the oil has thinned theres no extra material to transfer heat or maybe the thinner side walls will work faster, standard shocks possibly thicker walls maybe not if they do better heatsink and less prone to air temp plus a std shock if designed longer in the body can hold equal amounts of oil also but still have the advantage of more material, who knows as for the original question i think any bigger will be silly really
Thinner walls also mean weaker shocks more prone to being damaged in a crash.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I personally have never seen a shock body damaged from a crash. Its normally the tower and shock ends that give.

I went from 13mm shock on my mbx5r to jammin 16mm shocks. I noticed that my car felt more stable later into 20 minute mains. It didn't seem to bottom out as easy, and was more predicable. Here it is easily 100 at 9pm, so the heat is an issue. With the 13mm i was running the 1.4 pistons with 650 oil, but with the 16mm, i can run the 1.4 with 450 and keep a more consistent feel.

You should temp your shocks after a 20 minute main to see how hot they are. Compare it to a temp before you start running.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.