Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Returning to R/C, new to TC's, need advise. >

Returning to R/C, new to TC's, need advise.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Returning to R/C, new to TC's, need advise.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Returning to R/C, new to TC's, need advise.

I used to run 2wd off-road a Long time ago (1985-1990). I even worked at the LHS (for the discount) and built cars and battery packs for the customers. I decided I was coming back a month ago, but WOW! Things have really changed! LiPo. Brushless. Belt drive. My workbench is twitching in anticipation! But what to get? I have always been a speed freak. I actually got my gold pan RC10 up to 50 MPH! I have to be able to make it fast. Whatever I end up with will be used most often on the street in front of my house and various parking lots. I doubt I will be racing it much, if at all. I'll be rusty driving and will let my kids have a go at it (without the LiPo or brushless), so durability is a good thing, too. Anyone have recommendations for a car that is durable enough for street running and some big modified electrics?
Old 11-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

welcome back! I would recomend getting a shaft drive car. It has sealed housings around the diffs to keep debis out. Kyosho has one (parts might be difficult to find) or Tamiya has some offerings as well. Yokomo had some really good shaft cars, but I dont think they make them any more. If you dont mind used, a HPI Pro4 or a Associated TC4 are perfect for "playing around the house".

As for electronics, a metal geared servo is a must (JR racing 590 is a good budget servo, there are others to) I would at least get a FM radio system (there is 2.4 ghz too aka spektrum), although AM is ok ifyou are budget concious. If you want brushless, the Mamba Max setup would be perfect, it is competitivly priced and perfect for bashing (or "playing around the house")
Old 11-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

shaft drive cars are good they have snappy power delivery which some people like but majority choose belts as if u put a mod motor in or somepeople even say a 19t and the car will torque steer (pulls to one side when on power due to the motors torque twisting the chassis) a few years ago this wasnt an issue but with the power being delivered now.
so in general a belt car is more forgiving.
im actually saving for a new car and im probably going to go the mi3 as it is the easiest car to work on and the most advanced design imo
Old 11-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Seeing that the shaft drive cars are falling by the wayside, I'd prolly not go that route. I have no problems tweaking and tinkering with it, so open diffs aren't a real concern either. I will be going with a 2.4 radio, brushless motor/esc, LiPo batteries, and a belt driven car. But which car? What ones are looking durable at the tracks? Something that can handle a 6900-7700 Kv brushless with 3 LiPo's.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

If you go with a belt drive the Xray t2 is a great car and very durable the MI3 is also a good car but from all the people I know who have an MI3 they say it's kinda brittle and breaks easy. So if you'll be street racing or parking lot I'd say T2. Just my opinion.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

So if I was to go with a Xray T2, what version? EU or US? What's the biggest battery I can fit into one of those? I want speed and time.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

If you decide to go with an xray find a used FK05. Far more durable than the t2 line. As for number of cells all of the cars produced for racing were only designed to use 6cell NIMH packs, You can fit a single lipo pack in most but putting in more than one will make for a car that will not handle or turn for crap on the track or in the street.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Blind Skwerl
I used to run 2wd off-road a Long time ago (1985-1990). I even worked at the LHS (for the discount) and built cars and battery packs for the customers. I decided I was coming back a month ago, but WOW! Things have really changed! LiPo. Brushless. Belt drive. My workbench is twitching in anticipation! But what to get? I have always been a speed freak. I actually got my gold pan RC10 up to 50 MPH! I have to be able to make it fast. Whatever I end up with will be used most often on the street in front of my house and various parking lots. I doubt I will be racing it much, if at all. I'll be rusty driving and will let my kids have a go at it (without the LiPo or brushless), so durability is a good thing, too. Anyone have recommendations for a car that is durable enough for street running and some big modified electrics?
If you're gonna use the car mostly for bashing - finding either the Hot Bodies Cyclone S or a Tamiya TA-05R might be the most inteligent route for you. Whichever has the better parts support in your are would help you decide.

Rather then dumping big $$$ into a chassis that is made from fiber-plate, the Cycone S or the TA-05 offer a plastic tub-type chassis that would be a little more practical based on where you are going to be running the car... on the public streets. A top-dollar TC would be a little too fragile for this type of "bashing" IMO and you will spend a lot more $$$ in the event that decide to mate your car with the curb vs. the plastic tub cars.

Both are very practical and can handle some decent sized motors as well. If you really wanna go crazy, with the money that you saved vs. buying a top-shelf tourer, you can invest into things like Aluminum outdrives for the diff and other must-have hop-ups to manage the hottest mod-motors.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

I dont know about the fk05 it's probly a good car, I run the T2 the one before the T2007 and have had no problems.
Batteries- any of the 6 cell packs or with some modifacations a 2 sell lipo will fit I'm running the orion 2sell 4800 lipo pack and love it.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by LOSI BOY-MF2
I dont know about the fk05 it's probly a good car, I run the T2 the one before the T2007 and have had no problems.
Batteries- any of the 6 cell packs or with some modifacations a 2 sell lipo will fit I'm running the orion 2sell 4800 lipo pack and love it.

I have run the FK04, and T2 and currently have the FK05 and T2 007, by far the FK04 and 05 can take much more abuse than any of the T2 varients. Also the FK05 can run lipo without any mods.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

go corally phi its great and its a bat out of he**
Old 11-24-2007, 07:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chris moore
I have run the FK04, and T2 and currently have the FK05 and T2 007, by far the FK04 and 05 can take much more abuse than any of the T2 varients. Also the FK05 can run lipo without any mods.
Sounds like the way to go to me then.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

If it is just for "bashing", why not a TC4 RTR or XXX-S

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=ASC30111

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSA0287
Old 11-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Where can I get a FK05? Several years old = hard to find.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Blind Skwerl, I think to properly narrow down your choices, we all need to know what your plans are?

There are certain types and brands of cars that I would not consider at all if I was only going to run it on the streets or parking lots. Belt drive cars are not the most durable to outdoor bashing use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.