Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will onroad return in the north?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Evoracer
if anything, the costs are going down a bit on some of the previously more expensive items.
THAT is what you should be telling newbies.
HPI Sport $186 (with Towers discount)
VTA electronics $112
4 4000 MAH 2S Lipos and a new charger $150
# decals and VTA sponsor decals $16
I still need a driver figure $30
MISC, deans plugs, new body clips, other misc ... $25
Total +- $519 Not too bad...

Kick in another $25 if want to get another 2.4 GHZ RX for my 2.4 GHZ Towers radio.

Lynn
Old 04-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think it would really help to have RTR on-road cars available remember the TC4 rtr those cars would show up everywhere to race. Why can we not get back to something like this. Most of the people getting into this hobby does not care about all the extra adjustments they could make on a car to fine tune they just want to drive it. Something like the Sakura S is a great example of a chassis platform to have come in a RTR format. Just a thought.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CobraRman
VTA electronics $112

Kick in another $25 if want to get another 2.4 GHZ RX for my 2.4 GHZ Towers radio.

Lynn
Driver figures are not $30. Tamiya sells the Z parts (driver figure) from the Grasshopper re release for like $5..
RC Z Parts: 58124 - X8428
Item #0225001
MSRP: $5.00.

Also, the Hpi vta bodies often come with numbers, like the 68 Camaro.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hpisims
I think it would really help to have RTR on-road cars available remember the TC4 rtr those cars would show up everywhere to race. Why can we not get back to something like this. Most of the people getting into this hobby does not care about all the extra adjustments they could make on a car to fine tune they just want to drive it. Something like the Sakura S is a great example of a chassis platform to have come in a RTR format. Just a thought.
Good point. Many drivers in my area started with that car.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

robk, I went to the Tamiya USA site and typed in the item number for that Z Parts driver figure and they had no current info. Is it still available? Would you please post pics of it.

Thank you
Old 04-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
robk, I went to the Tamiya USA site and typed in the item number for that Z Parts driver figure and they had no current info. Is it still available? Would you please post pics of it.

Thank you
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...uct-id=0225001
Old 04-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If clubs wanna save onroad racing they need to have an entry level class. In my area (Calgary, AB), Tamiya mini is our biggest class. At our last big regional race we had 5 heats of mini. The lower 3 heats were a lot of people only racing mini, but those people hung around all weekend observing and chatting with people who were running VTA/GT, touring stock (17.5), and touring mod (boosted 13.5). Guaranteed some of those mini racers had their interest in touring sparked just by being around and feeling accepted by the more serious racers. Without newbies, any class of racing will eventually die, so they need to be encouraged to race anyway possible. In Offroad that class is SC, in onroad the best class to start is mini. An XB M05 rtr can be bought for $250, there's no easier way to start.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CobraRMan
VTA electronics $112

Lynn
Also, why would you need 4 batteries? 2 lipos would be plenty for race day.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

I found the Z parts driver figure on Tower Hobbies website. Not bad for under $5

Stick it to a sheet of lexan painted flat black to form an interior and then shoe goo it to the body. Makes for a simple cheap interior. Maybe use straws painted silver for a roll bar/cage. You could probably improvise a steering wheel if you wanted too as well.

The point is, you don't have to spend very much to create a driver interior for the VTA cars.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cheROK1212
Yeah, but in Europe they realize F1 and DTM are real racing! I think I saw an article on line that asked if Jimmie Johnson was the greatest driver ever. If he is, I don't think the greatest driver ever could take the Red Bull RB7 and qualify mid pack @ Malaysia next week(IHMO).
Off topic: Do you remember when Jeff Gorden to Montoya's Williams for a spin at indy? After six laps he was within .3 of second on pole. There are some gifted, natural drivers. It doesnt matter what they are driving, they will always be fast.

RC Topic: RC is not dead, its just resting. We have changed are format here alittle to help reduce the costs of running a TC, and have kept to a 3 class format. 17.5 NonBoost TC, 1/10 Nitro, and WGT, by having less classes, we hope to have more drivers in each class, making for better racing.

Shawn.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

On-Road is having a resurgence in Ontario, Canada which is fantastic. I am starting a new on-road club that will open in May so I've been focusing on a few key areas to make the club a success.

*Having a forum that promotes discussion within the RC community and that will be UPDATED with race results, club information, general RC chat, pictures etc.

*Actively helping people make informed choices on RC products and suggest ways to save $$$. Developing a good relationship with your LHS so they can help their customers make good choices if they plan on racing. No good having your LHS stock all basher nitro vehicles when you have an indoor carpet on-road club down the street.

*BUDGET Classes. A few guys that will be racing at my club have the Traxxas VXL Rally and I have been promoting this car for the MINI class. The price is fantastic. For those with a bigger budget, World GT & Stock 1/12. Having Short Course with mandatory foams will bring in a bunch of off-roaders. The interest in SC fantastic for my club, I think it's going to be a great class. I am also looking into having some drifting as it's very popular with the parking lot bashers around my area.

*ADVERTISING. Ads in the local paper, Kijiji, multiple RC forums, & FLYERS everywhere you can think of. I am trying to get some coverage by the local TV station to get us on the news. I don't think clubs utilize the advertising resources available to them enough. Relying on people to find the club themselves is going to seriously limit the amount of new people coming to races and getting involved in RC cars in general. I can think of a few clubs that have websites that haven't been updated in 3+ years and forums that not even the organizers even attempt to keep active.

*Year-Round Racing. To keep RC racing thriving in the northern part of North America, there needs to be year-round racing available. Motor City Raceway opened up an indoor carpet off-road and an indoor carpet on-road club this winter and entries were over 60 people within a month!! My club will have two race nights a month, year round, indoors & on carpet. This should allow for the 1/12 & World GT classes to become very popular and keep people interested in the hobby for longer.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:22 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by robk
Driver figures are not $30.
If you go with the Proline SC driver body they are. Most places want $20+ for the body alone and close to $7-10 to ship.

I may look into the one you posted.

Thanks,
Lynn
Old 04-04-2011, 04:25 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Serzoni
Also, why would you need 4 batteries? 2 lipos would be plenty for race day.
I got a couple extra if I put one in my boys.

But I figure I'd have one for practice and bashing and two for racing. Kind of like we did back when raced in the late '80's. We always had one or two packs strictly for practicing and saved two good ones for the racing.

May be you don't need to do that with lipos?

Lynn
Old 04-04-2011, 04:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CobraRman
Kind of like we did back when raced in the late '80's. :
Well there's your problem.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:32 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Nothing dead about onroad in minnesota.

Our biggest intro class is the vta MMR spec... Single cell 17.5 blinky mode.. Which is a much better speed and a lot closer to the original brushed 4 cell speed they started with. Touring rubber is having a hard time getting going but touring foam has remained a stellar class... Maybe too fats for some but vta can take care of that.
1/12 stock and mod both holding great turnouts and compared to the last 4 years up in numbers through the whole season.

And we run a limited motor off road class.. Consists of mainly slashes from our spec slash off road classes that just want to try onroad.. Usually 10-15 per race....

Alot of what works is how hard a track or club works to keep the public interessted and promotes good racing and sportsmanship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.