Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What scares you most about racing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 01:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Leester
My Greatest fear is losing, getting taken out by a bad driver who I'm trying to lap when I'm in the lead and, and afraid of not getting that trophy.
That is also another thing i'm scared of

Chazz
Old 12-09-2004, 01:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

letting the magic smoke out of the electronics
Old 12-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Tech Master

What scares me most . . . . . losing!

Actually, I hate to break other people's cars.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

There are only a couple things that scare me in racing. One is when you get slightly out of your rhythm and you just miss a corner that would've annihilated your car (figuratively speaking) and the other is "threading the needle" through two or more cars anywhere on the track.

And Gary, don't even get me started on your anti-foam sentiment. Lets see you drive a stock foam TC at a national race (or at all, for that matter). We'll see how well you do and what you say about them being slot cars. It's also true that foam tires are better for the carpet than rubber tires.

Enough about that...
Old 12-09-2004, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

-Breaking somone else car
-Having someone right on your tail in a race (literally right behind)
-Frying electronics (hasnt happened to me yet and hopefully never )
Old 12-09-2004, 02:20 PM
Tech Champion

It's also true that foam tires are better for the carpet than rubber tires.
With the amount of grip and corner speed that a foam car has versus a rubber car I strongly disagree with that statement. You will reach a slip point on a rubber tire well before a foam car whcih digs into the carpet and pulls stresses the nap much more that a rubber car ever can. Not to mention the amounts of traction compound used on Foam far exceeds that on rubber tires, which also degrades the carpet more. I have driven a foam car as well, and I stand by my statement...slot cars...
Old 12-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by RC Driver Gary
With the amount of grip and corner speed that a foam car has versus a rubber car I strongly disagree with that statement. You will reach a slip point on a rubber tire well before a foam car whcih digs into the carpet and pulls stresses the nap much more that a rubber car ever can.
The slipping is what wears the carpet, I have been told that by people who have raced many years more than I have, and BTW, a decently setup foam car shouldn't dig into the carpet

I have driven a foam car as well, and I stand by my statement...slot cars...
Ok...
Old 12-09-2004, 02:29 PM
Tech Champion

I don't mean literally dig, I mean so much as the tires get terrific bite into the carpet as it corners.

Trackside is a perfect example. When it was almost exclusively a rubber track the carpet seemed to last forever. Now that there are guys running more and more foam, you see more and more tape patches. This is most noticable at the seams as the carpet gets pushed away from the other sections.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Tech Adept

I had a run away while breaking in the engine on my 18th scale buggy. I stood in awe as it ripped across a parking lot at full throttle blasting a curb and then revving till the rod snapped. Very expensive and unsettling accident. Ever since then I have a weird feeling in my belly every time I fire up a nitro car.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Have you ever stopped to think that carpet does wear out after a few years whether you race rubber or foam? The carpet at trackside is old, and those problems are associated with it's age. I'd like to see foam tires that are grippy enough to break glue bonds

Anyway, back to the topic...
Old 12-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

What scares me the most is watching two guys argue the about something mundane on the internet. That and the fact that all forms of RC are seeing a slow down this year….its not just RC cars every type is taking a hit this year with less people doing it. How much longer will the hobby as a whole support itself?

Yeah and Foam Tires RULE….
Old 12-09-2004, 02:51 PM
Tech Addict

What scares me most and usually makes me crash is if im leading by around half a lap. I know who is in second and can see him out of the corner of my eye, everytime i go past a certain point. The next lap i notice he has taken some time out of me. Despite me knowing that it is doubtful he will catch me at his current rate. I usually go off the boil and put myself under pressure.

What is suprising is that i can usually cope with the 2nd place driver being right on my tail, i tend to just drive my line and keep my head.

Frying electronics is never good to think about.

Not meeting your own expectations is not something i enjoy.

Not knowing for sure if you are lapping the person in front or if the person who is behind is lapping you?! This happened at the last race meeting i was at when the race director had gone to sleep and didnt inform anybody about the race order. As it turned out i was in the lead, the guy behind me was racing for position however he was screaming at me to move over, the guy ahead was being lapped but i wasnt sure so i didnt want to upset him
Old 12-09-2004, 03:05 PM
Tech Adept

In heats for sure but in finals time is unimportant and only placings matter after all.
In New Zealand your two best race times/laps are added to find the winner! Time does indeed matter, and following a slower car for several corners until there is an opening to make a clean pass could cost you a championship.

Cheers
Peter
Old 12-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Default what ticks me off

When your driving a line and an agressive driver trys to drive through you by cutting the corner and t-boning you out of the way.
Also getting stuck in the lower quals. with the newbies that get so excited when they crash that as soon as they are marshled they just gun it no matter if some ones actually racing in front of them. They drive right into you. hate that crap.
The way it seems that people feel they are better and how alot of track cater to the "pro" drivers. It drive alot of the newbies away, because they get intimidated by it all. All the above mentioned things tick me off but people need to realize its still just a toy car. insted of yelling at the persons mistake help them understand why it was a mistake and help promote the sport. If its someone you know thats doing these things and they know better go ahead and tear um a new one;-) lol
Old 12-09-2004, 03:42 PM
Tech Addict

Default Scariest part of Racing:

1. Not improving!

and

2. Turn marshalling novice classes I've almost lost limbs!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.