Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jowers

Brand new Force RC truck problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 03:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Exclamation Brand new Force RC truck problems

Hey all. I just got a brand new Force RC monster truck Friday, as an early bday present for myself. Now I ran it on the battery that came with it, a 2000mah NIMH battery. It was respectable for speed and ower. I have a 2s 5000mah 45c lipo, and I slapped it in and wow, what a difference for speed and power. I have just been doing speed runs, up and down the street, no hard bumps or jumps. I did run it in hard packed gravel but I wasn't hard on it. The screw for the steering servo came loose, so I fixed that. Not sure how it did come loose, no idea. And now today its making this really loud clicking noise from the front wheels when I give full throttle from a stand still. This Force RC truck is 4x4, and I'm new to 4x4 rc trucks. What are your thoughts on whats cause the front to click loudly? I did try to google my issue for this specific truck, but I found nothing. Any help you all could give would be great. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2018, 04:01 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I did a quick search, wasn’t familiar with the brand. Screw probably wasn’t fully tightened during assembly. Unfortunately with some of the lower brands, it’s not uncommon.

Based on the other vehicles I’ve owned. Typically a clicking under acceleration is a damaged tooth on front or rear diff.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:19 PM
Tech Initiate

From my experience with my 4x4 mini revo a clicking noise is often a badly shimmed diff. Otherwise a damaged tooth is another likely problem. Try to find some way to stop the input shaft from moving and then try to turn the front wheels. If you can turn them with some reasonable force then it is not diff shims. Next disassemble the front end and open up the diff case. Inspect the ring and pinion gears and look for broken teeth or other damage. If it is one of these problems you will likely need new diff gears. If shims are available you could try that too. If there is already damage your okay to run it until they completely get destroyed if you are okay with listening to it and possibly loosing some power, just be sure to clean out the case and re-grease the gears when you put new ones in.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Likely some driveline damage somewhere. The off-the-shelf RC's don't always take to adding more power/speed (whether battery or engine) without upgrading some of the driveline components.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey guys. Here’s an update. I tore apart the rear end like was suggested to check the gears for damage, it all looks good. No excessive wear or damage on any teeth or the gears. I did notice one thing though and I have no idea if it’s bad or not. I can grab the right rear tire and rotate it freely, but if I do the same to the left rear, it’ll turn all 4 tires plus the motor. Is that normal or does that indicate something needs replacing. This is brand new, today makes the second day of ownership. I know it’s not super high quality but I did expect more. I appreciate all your tips and help.

Also I noticed that the steering servo does to return to center after I let go of turning left or right. Could that be from binding in the steering? Thanks!
Steve

Last edited by Rocketzx1; 09-02-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Second update. I took the front and rear Diffs apart again. The rear was locking up as if it were jammed up. I took it apart again and reassembled it. It rotates freely now. I don’t know what happened but it was not turning freely. So hopefully that is what my problem is, because all of the gears are good. No missing teeth, excessive wear, anything.

One thing I did not know about this truck is that it has a slipper clutch, but I don’t know much about what it does or anything.

I checked up on all the steering links, made sure nothing was overly tightened for the servo to not return to neutral. I’m about to go have another go and see if the problem has been fixed.

Steve
Old 09-02-2018, 10:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rocketzx1
The screw for the steering servo came loose, so I fixed that. Not sure how it did come loose, no idea.
It probably wont be the only screw that comes loose. Unfortunately, like another poster said, many RTR kits are poorly assembled. They often dont use loctite, or fail to properly torque certain screws. Any screw that goes into metal on your car will need loctite to be reliable.

RTR servos are pretty cheap and weak. Most likely underpowered out of the box.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Jowers
It probably wont be the only screw that comes loose. Unfortunately, like another poster said, many RTR kits are poorly assembled. They often dont use loctite, or fail to properly torque certain screws. Any screw that goes into metal on your car will need loctite to be reliable.

RTR servos are pretty cheap and weak. Most likely underpowered out of the box.
I plan on replacing the servo that came with it here pretty soon, once I see if everything else is good. Thanks for all your help guys
Old 09-03-2018, 01:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rocketzx1

I plan on replacing the servo that came with it here pretty soon, once I see if everything else is good. Thanks for all your help guys
Also, the slipper clutch is meant to reduce stress on your drivetrain. Tighten it down and you will get full power to the wheels. Loosen it up a bunch and it will slip and the truck wont move at all. Ideally you want it inbetween, but on the tight side. We usually check this by holding the rear wheels down and quickly stabbing the throttle. The front wheels should just barely lift off the surface, with a noticeable slipping sound coming from the slipper. Start this process on the loose side. A proper setting on your slipper should reduce the chances of you developing a clicking sound in your drivetrain.
CBren32 likes this.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

So far you're doing a good job of researching your problems. When something seems to not move freely the best thing to do is test it by hand and try to feel where the resistance is coming from. In the case of your steering you can take off the servo horn and see if the steering moves freely. If so then the servo itself may be the issue.
As somebody already mentioned whenever you have steel screws going into steel threads you'll need a drop of loctite to keep them from vibrating loose. Do not put loctite on screws that go into plastic.
A good way to set your slipper is to put a wrench on the tightening nut and then roll the vehicle until the tires stop rolling and start to skid.

Hang in there! Taking apart your truck and putting it back together again is all part of the game.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:07 AM
Tech Champion

Check that your dogbones/CVDs/UJs/axles are not binding.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey all. I really appreciate all the help and tips you guys have given me for the problems my rc truck is having. I’m starting to think I just got a lemon, it happens not a big deal. I tore apart the steering and the servo seems fine? It returns to neutral disconnected from the steering linkage but as soon as I put it back on it won’t return to neutral. The rear diff is still good after I tore it apart and put it back together.

The truck is advertised as 2s lipo capable, and I have a 2s 5000mah 45c lipo. I slapped that bad boy in it and I ran it. Man it was so much fun watching it spit dirt, rocks, sticks everywhere! I ran it for about 15ish mins, with it being a brushed motor I didn’t want it to get too hot. So I let it cool down and I went for a second run. Nothing. Servo works, but no power from the motor. Turns out that 15 min run burned up the motor. : / I am just not having a very good week with this rc truck lol

I called product support, I think they are going to send a new servo and motor. I really do appreciate all the help guys. Thanks!