Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Value EP 4WD?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 01:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Best Value EP 4WD?

What's the best value electric 4WD offroader I could get for driving around in my backyard? How's the tamiya baja king?
Old 10-03-2005, 04:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Any thoughts?
Old 10-03-2005, 07:52 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I would say for the money and the ability to do backyard bashing and racing quite well, the Academy SB Sport is a great option. runs about $145 shipped from ultimatehobbies and the pro runs only $225 shipped. Very nice vehicle. They also make an RTR version.

There is a big thread discussion the vehicle at www.rc10b4.com in the general forum section. If you have any questions specific to the vehicle feel free to email me.

By they way, they truck that Academy makes uses the same hexes as the buggy, so you could put on truck wheels all around and have a truggy for the times you need that extra ground clearance.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ah cool, that looks nice Are there any online stores that stock their parts? I know that none of my LHS have MRC parts.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Tech Legend

www.ultimatehobbies.com you need to call however.

MRC is pretty good with shipping direct to you as well!
Old 10-03-2005, 05:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Go EP 4wd...

I own an Academy SB Sport, with so many mods that its essentially a Pro version.

Its a great backyard basher, and a great racer too.

I may consider selling mine, as I got lucky in a trade for an XXX-4 G+ and will have one in my posession in the next few days.

If you would be interested, e-mail me. Its a great buggy, good condition. RTR.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ah, just wondering, are there any sub-100 dollar good quality buggies?
Old 10-04-2005, 06:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by USATorque55
Go EP 4wd...

I own an Academy SB Sport, with so many mods that its essentially a Pro version.

Its a great backyard basher, and a great racer too.

I may consider selling mine, as I got lucky in a trade for an XXX-4 G+ and will have one in my posession in the next few days.

If you would be interested, e-mail me. Its a great buggy, good condition. RTR.
I don't know if you should consider yourself lucky for getting a XXX4G+ in a trade.... hang on to your SB you may find you'll like it better then the fragile XXX4. I personnaly have a Yokomo MR4BCS but I have frieds who have the SB pro and it is a very nice buggy with a few downfalls but are better then the down falls of the XXX4 IMO.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Seatbelt
Ah, just wondering, are there any sub-100 dollar good quality buggies?
Tamiya makes a few buggies for closs to that price range and would be perfect for Bashing and novice racing. I would reccomend this one http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHAS9&P=0 There are a lot of hop-ups out for this car if you wanted to tune it up later on. The SB Sport is probibly the best bang for the buck and is better all around too. Around $159 you just can't beat it!
Old 10-05-2005, 03:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Do the insides of buggies get extremely dirty since their chassis is not covered in any kinda of way?
Old 10-05-2005, 05:45 AM
Tech Legend

It really depends on how well the body (sometimes two, a lower tray and upper body) seals out the dirt in conjunction with the Chassis.

The SB does a great job of sealing out dirt and the XXX-4 from what I have seen is pretty good too. Just keep in mind when you really seal out the dirt, you seal IN the heat. So you will want to drill holes in the body for cooling. I ran a mesh behind the holes to filter out big dirt.

Honestly, with a toothbrush or other bristle item and some compressed air you can easily remove debris.

I bashed with my first SB Sport for awhile and can honestly say it was the most durable vehicle I have had. Same goes for the pro. The vehicles parts look more like 1/8 scale buggies by how built up they are.

For a starting motor bashing setup with the SB Sport, I probably would go with a good 19 turn motor like the Orion Element (standard or V2 setup). Even racing mod the motor is quite competent depending on the track conditions. The Reedy Quad Mag is a good motor too.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Been racing an SB Pro for about a month with a Reedy 19 Quad Mag and it rocks! This is my baptism into 4 wheel drive and am very pleased. Motor has more than enough power for a tight track and I'll be trying it on a larger track in the near future.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:32 PM
Tech Legend

the SB and 19turn see made for each other. The new SB V2 looks to be a winner, lots of improvements, better materials, etc. Can't wait till it gets to the states!

What 4wd needs is a real spec class, 19 turn motors!
Old 10-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Cain, where were you gearing your 19? I updated to the 72 tooth spur. I'm running at TCHR in Minneapolis if you are familiar with the track.