Yokomo MR-4TC SD >

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Like Tree12Likes

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Old 04-20-2003, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Kilruf,

Question for ya as you own and run the EVO3. Is the Yok drivetrain similar to that of the EV)3 or more like a TC3???? A few guys around here were running the EVO3 in stock and 19T on carpet with foams and the EVO3 did not accelerate well at all. These guys were tylically top contenders and were not even close when running the Tamiya. Seems that a lot of you on the site are having good or decent luck with the EVO3...

I am just concerned that the Yok has about the same drivetrain and will not accelerate well on the rug.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Okay, I broke the Yokomo today during practice before the race! Now that sucks. I was just trying to avoid the damn slow gas cars and hit a couple corner dots. Car started to pull hard to one side. So I pulled the car over and sure enough... the dog bone had a clean break! I am assuming, having read a couple pages back, that I can use the same bones off a SP. Bones are the same front and rear on the SD, but the axles are different. I just need the bone. Sucks. I ended up running the Evo3 instead for Mod. Didn't do too good. Oh well.

As for the Evo3 on carpet, I have raced the Evo3 on carpet and it seems to be pretty good handling wise for stock. Acceleration I'm not too sure of. That might be my problem with it when racing against the TC3s. They always seem to out accelerate me. But I tend to out drive them, except a select few. But I just thought this was my fault on gearing choice due to my inexperience on carpet. You know... roll out and all.

As for the SD drive train, it's more TC3 than Evo3. I would say the TC3 and SD are "3" piece units (input shafts at both ends and a main shaft) where the Evo is a "single" unit. But I find more slop in the Evo than the TC3/SD drive train. This could be the cause of the poor acceleration. I dunno. My SD accelerates like a bat out of hell. So no complaints there.

Anyways, with what practice I did have with the SD, I tried Silvers all around and didn't like it. Went back to Pink/F, Silver/R. I'll have to do this til my Yok springs come in. Went with 1° toe out up front. I need to change the oil in the shocks from 40F/30R to 60F/50R. Perhaps the pistons too.

MO.... I dunno if I have this right, but I was comparing some #2 AE pistons with the Yok pistons... are they the same size? Looks like the AE's diameter was slightly smaller than the Yoks. Hmmm I'll have to find out where these AE pistons came from. I might of picked up the wrong ones.

Anyways, on my quest for dog bones!!
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo MR-4TC SD-sdbone.jpg  
Old 04-20-2003, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Thank you very much Kilruf. That is what I "WANTED" to hear. Acclerates like a bat out hell and your EVO3 did not accelerate so great on carpet......... At least you are finding the same things we have found.

Thanks again for all of your input.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:04 PM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

KilRuf, the Associated pistons are actually larger than the yokomo pistons. You must have some really old ones. I had to grind the pistons down a little to make them fit in the Yok shock bodies.
I believe the dogbones all around are the same as the SP rear bones, so you can use those.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks MO. That's what I was thinking about the Bones. Looking thru my AE pistons, they might have come from my T3. I dunno. Gotta find my TC3 pistons. Well let me head out....

JMac
Old 04-21-2003, 08:03 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Okay guys...help me if my timing is screwed up here, but we Speedtech pre-order guys were supposed to get an email a week before they got the kits, right? Well if they are expecting to get the kits in later on this week....shouldn't we have gotten the email by now?

Its not like I'm stressing about getting the kit or anything.<twitching while typing> I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything yet.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Darkseid
Okay guys...help me if my timing is screwed up here, but we Speedtech pre-order guys were supposed to get an email a week before they got the kits, right? Well if they are expecting to get the kits in later on this week....shouldn't we have gotten the email by now?

Its not like I'm stressing about getting the kit or anything.<twitching while typing> I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything yet.

Good things come to those that wait..
Haven't heard anything yet from Steve except for what he wrote earlier...that the YOK USA will be recieving the kit on Wed/Thurs of this week. and shipped to the stores as soon as they arrive.

I've talk to Billy at Speedworld...he said the same thing..Billy will have the car along with spare and option parts on Friday. Hopefully Steve will have the kits the same time or sooner since YOK and Speedtech are within the same area.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:38 AM
Regional Moderator

zombies: Good things come to those that wait, got ya!...<still twitching>

Man, I hadn't planned on ordering spares at the same time as my kit, but I might have to think about it. Looks like those with the car already, are having some breakage problems.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:58 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Darkseid
zombies: Good things come to those that wait, got ya!...<still twitching>

Man, I hadn't planned on ordering spares at the same time as my kit, but I might have to think about it. Looks like those with the car already, are having some breakage problems.
I know what you mean...after the long winter and no new kits my hands are twitching to build something.

Just with any car...spare parts are a neccessity... arms, hubs, arm-mounts are probably on the top of my list. Since I'm #1 and #2 on Steve's list of Pre-orders...I'll leave some for you.. I'm sure soon or later YOK will release the graphite versions of all the plastics parts... hopefully sooner....
Old 04-21-2003, 12:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

We are still looking on schedule for delivery of cars this week. We should be able to start shipping them out this Friday.

Steve Wang
Old 04-21-2003, 12:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

For those of you with questions about how the SD is built, I recommend downloading the manual from the link provided on this thread a few pages back. Yes, the drive shaft is 3 pieces like the TC3.

Had a chance to watch a Evo 3 race in stock in the hands of a good driver and was surprised at how slow it was.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Don't know about other Evo3's but mine is ballistic in stock, mod, or brushless

All you gotta do with this and any other car's bearings is blow the grease out of them and relube them with a light bearing oil.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:41 PM
Tech Addict

i agree with rctypec.

cleaning out the stock bearings on the SD and Evo III made a big difference.

both drive trains spun freely with the Evo III marginally ahead of the SD. maybe due to the fact that the drive shaft on the SD is heavier. had to trim some of the SD's gearbox to get where i am right now. hopefully, not everyone will have to do this. both cars free wheels around 3 seconds. it doesn't sound like much but i'm sure it'll help out during stock racing.

not saying one is better than the other. the SD and Evo III are great cars and both have the potential to win races.

have not tested both cars as of yet. so can't really tell you anymore about the car.

Last edited by racer; 04-21-2003 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Wouldn't a heavier driveshaft give the drivetrain more momentum and therefore spin longer?

3 seconds? I have seen TC3's with drivetrains that spin for 6-7 seconds easy.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Has anyone run the SD on carpet yet?
Also, my Losi spins for about 3 seconds... I sure hope the Yok SD can spin longer than that!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.