Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intellect Battery 4200 (IB4200) World Champion VR-1

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Yes you can discharge you the Spintec discharger it works fine.
Hai Danny,

Here, I have some (probably silly) questions :

With such technology that we have right now (for charger and discharger) and also new cells capabilities (high capacity / high voltage), do you think matched cell still worth. Tell me some reasons ?

I'm sorry I don't mean to be rude to you but have you ever thought that someday you should stop matching 'cause the manufacturer will (I hope not) do the matching process on their own before they release those cells to the market ?.... Your work will be useless 'cause racer only got small benefits (small voltage increase or any) .....

Remember those Chinese are really fast action creatures...
Just need a small fire (resource such as : technology and ideal order quantity), they will start to burn everything...
Remember the case of SANYO -> GP -> IB -> (now probably) East Power ...

If point no. 2 happened, have you ever thought of making your own battery manufacturing facility or making charger / discharger system for the racer ?
Based on your experience as a matcher, I'm pretty sure you know almost everything about battery technology .....

Please share your thought with us....

Thanks Danny for your great cells and comments / tips ..
Old 11-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Danny,

EA has told me to use a GFX for cycling, discharging, and motor break-in and a Pitbull for charging. On my pitbull what should I set the "long lockout" for when charging the 4200WE cells?

I have been charging at 6.0 amps with a .020 cut-off and my long lockout has been set to 3500mah. If I try and use a lower lockout my packs false peak during charging.

Last edited by Tornado_Racing; 11-26-2006 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:38 PM
Company Representative

Matched cells will always be better as the cells have been zapped and cycled to make sure that they have the same specs. In a case of cells the voltage , IR and especially the runtime is spread out. So a matched packs will yield better performance and should keep it for more cycles.

That being said some feel that unmatched cells are fine for what they do and that in the type of racing they work well enough. I think that the price that most matchers are asking for the level down from there top grade cells is a better deal than unmatched loose cells. The difference in price is probably 10 dollars more but you get cells that have been zapped , cycled and weeded out.

I don't think it would happen that a cell manufacturer would match cells.

No we couldn't build our own cells as we could never compete with Asia plus the cost would be way to high as R&D is very expensive. As far as chargers and dischargers go there are some great ones on the market already so there is no need for us to do one.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:49 PM
Company Representative

My 4200s take 4000+ mAh on my Pitbull so setting your lockout at 3500 is fine. I hope your using .02 not .20 for peak detect .20 would be overcharging your packs.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Danny... congrats on the big wins in Cleveland
Old 11-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Danny, Josh and Eli... serious rip with SMC, CAN'T WAIT FOR MY STUFF TO SHOW!!! What all is coming<< did you find any killer cells to throw in with the practice ones??
Roger T
Old 11-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Company Representative

Thanks we have had another great race in Cleveland. We have a great bunch of racers using our packs.

Roger: I will have to wait and see what comes back from Cleveland as we have sent extra packs so if they didn't get all used up I will send you a few of them.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

My 4200s take 4000+ mAh on my Pitbull so setting your lockout at 3500 is fine. I hope your using .02 not .20 for peak detect .20 would be overcharging your packs.
lol..........I like to get them REALLY hot. My bad, yes they are .020.

Thanks Danny.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks Danny!!!!!!
Old 11-26-2006, 02:19 PM
Tech Addict

(hope i aint askin the same Q twice) has there been any successful dead-shorting methods used on these cells? thanx...
Old 11-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Matched cells will always be better as the cells have been zapped and cycled to make sure that they have the same specs. In a case of cells the voltage , IR and especially the runtime is spread out. So a matched packs will yield better performance and should keep it for more cycles.

That being said some feel that unmatched cells are fine for what they do and that in the type of racing they work well enough. I think that the price that most matchers are asking for the level down from there top grade cells is a better deal than unmatched loose cells. The difference in price is probably 10 dollars more but you get cells that have been zapped , cycled and weeded out.
Yes, I agree with you ....

I don't think it would happen that a cell manufacturer would match cells.
Are you sure ? Let's just wait for someone to start it...

No we couldn't build our own cells as we could never compete with Asia plus the cost would be way to high as R&D is very expensive. As far as chargers and dischargers go there are some great ones on the market already so there is no need for us to do one.
Of course if you manufacture in US the cost will be very high. How about in China ? I think there are many cell manufacturers in China .... I know one of them, was used to make cell for GP and Sanyo ... About R&D, I think it's not too expensive there... beside, you have lot of experience in racing scene.
QA should be your top priority and it only come from you, directly.

Combined with your matching concept, so the final product (matched cell) will be improved and the price can be lower .....

For reference, take a look this :
http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11473559/SC_Battery.html

Rgds,
Old 11-27-2006, 12:53 AM
Company Representative

GP use to sort there cases which was a big problem and part of why we decided to deal with Intellect. As soon as cell sorting or matching is involved then you lose confidence as your not sure the factory is giving you the same quality cells as others. This is one thing that Intellect does is that they send you untested cells which means you pay for a cell everyone gets the same cells which is fair.

Intellect is the leader in high performance cells. We do see other companies which have good cells but for racers who want the best Intellect is the cell of choice. If Intellect continues to have the desire to supply the RC car racing market I see no reason why they wouldn't stay on top as they have the lead and should be able to keep it with R&D. As you have seen they come out with improved versions of there cells when they see the competition gets closer . This means they want to stay the leader in the RC racing cell market.

Our relationship with Intellect is great and we will continue to use there cells as we truly believe they have what it takes to stay ahead as they have proven this. If some other company were to come out with a revolutionary cell then we would surely look into it as we try to offer our customers with the best possible race cells.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default [ IB4200 STABILITY? AN ISSUE? ]

Hi, just wanna check in. Have this question in my head. Since IB 4200s are not able to be discharged below 0.9v. We need to charge 6 Amps linear. Run them, Discharge/Equalized to 0.9v. then put some 200-500 mAH back on them, so that they don't self discharge below 0.9v during the week before the weekend bashing. Am I right so far? So here's the question, when we purchase the cells from the shops, of course the cells are charge lightly. I have 10 sets of IB4200 Matched and every pack of this cells sure to have 1 pcs dead! Due to the low IRs on these cells, the issue of reliability and Stability of IB4200. if you purchase the cells which are in a box and stored for 3-6 months, will the cells , or i believe the cells will self discharge more than 0.9v to 0.00v. IBs, that means the cells are pretty bad? they all have a life expectancy...like those alkalines on the shelves..nothing last...since the last charge.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:01 AM
Company Representative

As with any new cell we need to learn how to properly treat them and yes the low IR means there is a chance that a cell will self short or die.

Intellect has been working hard on this issue to try to keep the high performance while reducing the shorting/dying and we have seen an improvement in the latest lots.

If all your packs had a bad cell when there brand new this means your really unlucky our the company who matched them didn't do a real good job at monitoring the cells for shorting/dead cells.

For storage charge you should put 1000mAH which is equal to 600 seconds using a 6 amp charge.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by highflyer
Hi, just wanna check in. Have this question in my head. Since IB 4200s are not able to be discharged below 0.9v. We need to charge 6 Amps linear. Run them, Discharge/Equalized to 0.9v. then put some 200-500 mAH back on them, so that they don't self discharge below 0.9v during the week before the weekend bashing. Am I right so far? So here's the question, when we purchase the cells from the shops, of course the cells are charge lightly. I have 10 sets of IB4200 Matched and every pack of this cells sure to have 1 pcs dead! Due to the low IRs on these cells, the issue of reliability and Stability of IB4200. if you purchase the cells which are in a box and stored for 3-6 months, will the cells , or i believe the cells will self discharge more than 0.9v to 0.00v. IBs, that means the cells are pretty bad? they all have a life expectancy...like those alkalines on the shelves..nothing last...since the last charge.
Thats why I buy my cells from a somebody who has alot of inventory turns. A friend of mine bought some discount old stock packs from an online retailer. 2 of the 3 packs were almost complete dead, one of them he was able to cycle a few times and now it's good enough to be a practice pack.

The solution is probably a software update for the Turbo matchers that gives the option to partially charge the cell after a cycle (if they dont already).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.