Dead Shorting, a Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dead Shorting, a Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Leave them on the tray while your solder the wire from the + to the -.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by Evicerator
If it means anything to anyone... I DID NOT dead short my packs at the recent Nationals at The Gate... I don't think I was hurting on punch...

and Steve-what was the runtime and voltage on those packs....
Old 04-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

I think Fukuyamas main concern is safety. IM mainly looking to getting some more use out of my packs. After a season of running a couple of them are a little off the others. The others BTW being my Fukuyamas wich are still ripping after a hard season of being abused.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:09 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Since I run sermos connectors, I just rigged up a jumper that works between the wires. If I thought of it earlier I would have just made the wire on the packs longer, could just plug them in that way.

Since I am cheap , I am going to just dead short the two older GP packs and see how they run.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

For those of you, who have experience with dead shorting: How much have the voltage improved in pure numbers?

And if you can give numbers for GP3300 yellow/green, Sanyo 3000 HV and Sanyo 2400, it would be really nice....
Old 04-08-2004, 11:21 AM
The Evicerator

Ray, our matcher's numbers don't really match CE numbers so even if I told you what kind of #'s we ran you'd probably laugh
Old 04-08-2004, 11:23 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

From what I understand from some of the posts I have read about this, dead shorting the Sanyo 3000HV is not a good idea. Not sure if anyone has experience doing this however.

I guess right now I am considering dead shorting as a last stop gap with cells that feel off and not performing.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ray, our matcher's numbers don't really match CE numbers so even if I told you what kind of #'s we ran you'd probably laugh
Steve, I assume you're running Novak batts now and not Trinity. Are you guys shipping packs yet?
Old 04-08-2004, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's like Ray said....if your into serious competition stock racing dead short them.........In my experience the bennifits are noticable....more voltage,cells with lower internal resistance, more punch....battery packs that hold their match longer with only a slight reduction in runtime.....mine have only lost 15 to 30 seconds of runtime over the last 8 months and still have no problem dumping even with 10 and 12 turn kryptons........for maximum safety get every cell at dead zero (confirmed with a voltmeter) NEVER trust the lights on whatever trey you have)and its also a good idea to leave them on the trey while you solder the wire between pos and neg because the voltage rebounds pretty quick...not having the cells at zero when you do this is the (only) way they can generate heat and vent....for me ,the only downside to this procedure is the hour and a half to two hours it takes my trey to get the cells to go from .9 volts to zero
Old 04-08-2004, 04:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The simplst way to protect you and the battery is NOT to use wire. Use a piece of solder betwen the two terminals. It will pop if there is any significant charge in the battery.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So, Gary...do I get the honor of being The One Who Doesn't Agree With Everyone Else?
Old 04-08-2004, 05:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would assume at some point that Novak will have a charger that cycles packs as well as charges them? I think that would be great to keep an eye on Novak's new matched batteries!

I suppose you could cycle them on a T35GFX, but then again-you woldnt know how muvh they have changed from the label.
BTW-Good luck with the new venture!!
Ray
Old 04-08-2004, 05:15 PM
Tech Master

By all means disagree thats what the forum is for.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Tech Addict

When hitting the boards is not a problem, When I can make my motors as fast as everyone else, When I take all the right lines, THEN I will dead short my packs.

Still hitting boards and trying to take the right lines.

David Root
Old 04-08-2004, 06:09 PM
The Evicerator

Jon, yeah, I ran Novak packs...they should be shipping next week actually...

I'll cycle some of the packs we ran and post some of the info...

FYI, Chuck Lonergan, Travis Schrevin, Paul Ciccarello, and myself did not dead short...I can't say whether or not the rest of the top 10 guys did or not... I believe Alex was traying/shorting his stuff...but who knows about everyone else...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.