Community
Wiki Posts
Search

serpent closing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Tech Adept

He guys!
Don't worry, changing a factory structure due to production is something that has happened many times to RC manufacturers. (example Associated)
Its sad for the employees in Holland, but there is sadly no way out.

Serpent will continue in a different matter and concerning the S120, its on their way to their distributors.
Take care guys!
Markus
Old 08-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Xray seems to be struggling with this same thing if you read their column's that they post online.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

maybe Hotbodies should move next to improve their parts availibility....
Old 08-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kraig
Xray seems to be struggling with this same thing if you read their column's that they post online.
They seem to have been able to deal with it by upgrading their machining facilities. MIP had a similar situation, and was able to deal with it by upgrading their machines as well.

"MIP then decided that it was time to give Swiss a try, placing an order for two machines to be proven directly on MIP's floor. Initial results were such that MIP increased their order to three machines. Within the next year they purchased a total of seven machines.

Part cycle time was reduced 53% from 60 sec to 28 sec. Tool life improved as well. MIP operators had traditionally changed drills and taps every two hours. With the Tsugami BS20, they found that they could easily cut 10,000 parts without changing those tools. Tooling costs for these tools fell from $40.00 per day ( $ 10, 400 per year) to less than $1.0 0. Machining tolerances were consistently held at ± 0.0002 in.

Soon thereafter Moore began purchasing more Tsugami Swiss-type machines and complementing them with LNS auto loading bar-feeders. This has given MIP the ability to run 'lights out' resulting in dramatically increased throughput, reduced part cost and more responsive service to their customers.

In the final analysis, Swiss turning had an effect on every aspect of MIP's manufacturing processes. A stationary operator for each machine was no longer necessary, as one operator could now supervise multiple machines. Tooling costs, operator costs, and QA/QC time all were reduced. Finally, resident tooling on their Swiss machines allowed MIP to economically tackle small-lot rush orders that couldn't have been handled previously. Specialty items that MIP couldn't or wouldn't have manufactured before became standard catalog items. Said Moore about the switch from standard to Swiss-turning, 'I truly believe that had it not been for this switch, MIP would not exist.' He then added, 'Manufacturers must continually invest in their productivity or they will find themselves out of business.'"

from April 2006
How Swiss Turning Helped Make R/C Cars Big Business
By Jeff Boulden
Old 08-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
Randy Caster will soon follow, if the rumors are true...
i think Randy is going with Tamiya
Old 08-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
i think Randy is going with Tamiya
OMG...I think he has Tamiya TRF in his signature already, as Hebiki hinted

We'll have to wait and see just to make sure...maybe Randy will clear this up soon.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Tech Lord

OMG...I think he has Tamiya TRF in his signature already, as Hebiki hinted

We'll have to wait and see just to make sure...maybe Randy will clear this up soon.
like i said.. just wait for him to "pop up" in the appropriate thread. or check his signature. that'll confirm it.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TeamButter
Hopefully now everyone understands that what Serpent is doing is closing PRODUCTION in Holland and moving all operations to Asia. As has been written by Michael Salven / Ronald Baar.

This can only be a positive as now with larger production capabilities there will be better parts availability. Not to mention since our US Dollar is pretty much worthless, particularly against the Euro, there is a good possibility that we will not see an increase in pricing but a REDUCTION in cost to the consumer.

So lets see....larger production runs = more parts availability worldwide and lower manufacturing costs = lower cost to the consumer.

it's a win win situation.

Butter

P.S. Marcos, I'd like to see you try!!
What a shame...the S400 was the best TC I had. It worked great for me...I just couldnt get parts, and now we know why...but if these moves seem to put Serpent in a much better position, and parts availability and prices should be much better especially here in the USA.

I wish them the best, there products are very good.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hebiki
like i said.. just wait for him to "pop up" in the appropriate thread. or check his signature. that'll confirm it.
Wow

Will you guys attend the IIC?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Tech Lord

Wow

Will you guys attend the IIC?
no IIC for me. im just a club racer. no big races for me. not sure if randy is going. you should give the 416 a whirl. you might be pleasantly surprised (like i was)
Old 08-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Tech Champion

no IIC for me. im just a club racer. no big races for me. not sure if randy is going. you should give the 416 a whirl. you might be pleasantly surprised (like i was)
didn't they discontinue the 416 already??????
Old 08-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

I hope Randy does well with it. It sure looks like a nice car...I hope he can get parts for it though
Old 08-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by STLNLST
didn't they discontinue the 416 already??????
Every Tamiya car that has a part # starting in 49xxx is limited. so yes at some point it's "labeled" discontinued. but suspension, suspension blocks, and springs hasnt changed much. arent you going back to the TC5?

so many sluts on RCTech.

I hope Randy does well with it. It sure looks like a nice car...I hope he can get parts for it though
i think Mr. Steering will be fine.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Tech Champion

Every Tamiya car that has a part # starting in 49xxx is limited. so yes at some point it's "labeled" discontinued. but suspension, suspension blocks, and springs hasnt changed much. arent you going back to the TC5?

so many sluts on RCTech.

i think Mr. Steering will be fine.
I'm thinking of it. I can go to McDonalds and get parts for it.....
Old 08-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
I'm thinking of it. I can go to McDonalds and get parts for it.....
well even 7-11 has parts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.