Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Would you?.......pay someone to build or setup you car? >

Would you?.......pay someone to build or setup you car?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you?.......pay someone to build or setup you car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 09:36 AM
Tech Initiate

i think you have to remember some folks have no skills what so ever and never will.but may be a great driver.
i have one son who could never build or maintain a car ever and another who could.
some of the best motorcycle riders and car drivers have no set up or mechanical skills yet are very fast.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
I think you would find that Pro's cars aren't as special as we think. The motivation making them fast is in that 4 turn motor and the guy holding the transmitter. Their cars are really quite stock.
Not sure if you are agreeing with Joey or not, but there are lots of little secrets out there that aren't covered in setup sheets or RedRC photos. Think of it as using a different instruction manual than the one included in the box. Sure, with some cars the parts might be the same, or at least look the same to you, but I guarantee the car wasn't built the same. I know I personally handled quite a few cars at birds that might have looked stock in a RedRC article, but you would soon be asking questions if you saw it in-person.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by T2 SLOW
i think you have to remember some folks have no skills what so ever and never will.but may be a great driver.
i have one son who could never build or maintain a car ever and another who could.
some of the best motorcycle riders and car drivers have no set up or mechanical skills yet are very fast.
Yes, I agree that some are more mechanical skilled than others, but my point is if building a kit is absolutely impossible for you, your worries have just started.

Of course many young drivers have a father or other adult person to help them. but I have not met an adult driver at a reasonable level that ONLY drives and leaves the car to someone else, hence, it is more or less a "one man job" driving rc.

I bet, if you repel the mechanical aspects of rc, it will be a shortlived adventure.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Salkin

I bet, if you repel the mechanical aspects of rc, it will be a shortlived adventure.
Or just an adventure with low expectations
Old 02-11-2015, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T2 SLOW
So long as they have a mechanic, they'd have a chance - left to rely on their own skillset, a new driver with great potential wouldn't stay around long enough to realize that potential.

Originally Posted by Salkin
Agreed... If you can't maintain your own equipment, you'll find yourself very frustrated after a very short time.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

I would build kits for free (and I'm pretty good at it). Like others have said, it's one of my favorite parts of the hobby. There are more than a few times when I've bought a kit just because, "I wanted to build something."

If anyone is ever interested, you can PM me.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I guess it depends on how techy you are. Some people do excel in driving and have no understanding why the car reacts the way it does. Now if that person gains the knowledge of car mechanics, it will further their development. That's what I meant by complete. I built my first car (Tamiya Sonic Fighter lol) with hand-me-down electronics from a friend's dad when I was in 4th grade. I still remember that day when I built the car all by myself, pretty happy, hooked ever since. Now if I had more driving skills..., but that's another topic
Old 02-11-2015, 11:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by J-milz
Let's talk....would you pay another racer to build or set up your car?

I was discussing this with a friend and he was totally against it. I told him that I had given a local fast guy/ younger kid who was short on money, some money to help get my car in shape. At the time I didn't own a setup board, nor did I fully understand the dynamics of the car.

I'm a 40 yo father of 3 with a busy schedule and not a lot of time to tinker. I gave him my car....he "fixed" it and I gained better control and a lap or two. He gave me a setup sheet and a better understanding. Am I alone? Let's hear it.
j-millz you ever need a hand with your cars man feel free to come over to my pit ill help out in any way i can i should be at carworld on sunday
Old 02-11-2015, 11:40 AM
Suspended

I build kits for people all the time. Pm me if anyone needs a kit built.

95% of people are not patient enough to follow the directions/ don't know the little things that make a kit work well.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Or just an adventure with low expectations
Or just VRC
Old 02-11-2015, 11:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Never! Building is the best part of the hobby, to me at least. I spend roughly 90% of my hobby time tinkering and 10% on actual driving. Plus you don't really learn the car when you have it built for you.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by danny250r
j-millz you ever need a hand with your cars man feel free to come over to my pit ill help out in any way i can i should be at carworld on sunday
Much appreciated.
I've gotten a lot better where I can diagnose the basic problems associated with setups. I even purchased a HUDY setup so at least the car goes straight. Lol. Now I gotta get that whole gear ratio and roll out thing down.

Last edited by J-milz; 02-11-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:44 PM
Tech Adept

I'm 31 and I bring my father to every RC races I do

I do enjoy working on my car but I prefer the electronics side and driving.

He dislike driving and prefer working on setup and maintenance (all night of the week).

So on race day, I focus on my driving and let him play with his 0.25 shim

The real win for me ... I got the chance to spent some 'good' time with my old man
Old 02-11-2015, 12:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

My lhs will build or setup or fix virtually anything. The guys they have working there are very competent, and a lot of the locals will bring in buggys before a race to get it setup better. Ive seen them building kits, restoring vehicles, etc.
Ive had them do soldering and build shocks for me, but I usually just do everything myself. But they do a much cleaner solder job than I can for super cheap.

/Good job Jakes Performance Hobbies!
Old 02-11-2015, 01:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MaxxGabriel
My lhs will build or setup or fix virtually anything. The guys they have working there are very competent, and a lot of the locals will bring in buggys before a race to get it setup better. Ive seen them building kits, restoring vehicles, etc.
Ive had them do soldering and build shocks for me, but I usually just do everything myself. But they do a much cleaner solder job than I can for super cheap.

/Good job Jakes Performance Hobbies!
You get your lhs to setup and repair your buggies before a race? What do you do if you crash or damage your buggy during a race or if track conditions change? Cry for "mommy"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.