Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RD/Richey Racing Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 12:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Exhaust port height

There are a couple ways to look at this and of course this will be another rule that is open to interpretation.

If you read the statement literally it says the exhaust port height has to be 4.50mm. The rule as we understand it is that it cannot me more than 4.50mm.

I am wondering if they are not removing this rule because the wording that was used is telling people that they have to run 4.50mm no matter what.

Dennis, you want to take a crack on this one? If this is the case, there are going to be allot of changes to the engines, and all the $300+ .12's that everyone bought were all built under the 4.5mm max height. This rule could really make things expensive.

Duane
Old 03-26-2004, 01:26 PM
Tech Regular

Default Motorman

He is in California this weekend doing some testing with Brad Toffelmire and others at the Revelation Raceway Airtronics Event.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by SlobbaTech
http://www.team-orion.ch/global/global_news.asp?id=2339

At the bottom is says they are to delete the words exhaust port to be 4.50mm. Does anyone know if that's something just for that race or that ROAR will not have an exhaust port rule for sedans anymore?
This is an IFMAR announcement.
Have a look HERE.
It looks like the IFMAR bloc's have and voted to eliminate the 4.5mm exhaust port rule altogether.
This will boost Dremel sales.

I believe IFMAR rules (probably ROAR, also) require X number of days notice before introducing a new rule, so if you have an event coming up quite soon, it'll probably be run to the older rule set. You might need to confirm this.

This change just reflects a resurgence in getting the 200mm rules in line with real life (and the member bloc's), I think. The original IFMAR 200mm rules were just "Interim Rules" for a long time and nothing was happening to bring them up to date. In the mean time, both EFRA and ROAR, as the major players, were forging ahead with their own different rules. Late last year, IFMAR dropped the "standard glow plug" rule and I believe, ROAR have adopted this for 2004.
With a bit of luck, engine manufacturers will be able to produce fewer different versions of "legal" engines for the various IFMAR regions.

But the interesting part is the dropping of 235mm from the IFMAR calendar.
I didn't think that would come so soon.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Whats up Dennis it was nice seeing you at REV the track conditions are tricky even for locals. you almost need two
set ups on the same day. That motor you were running
was fast. It had henry drooling to get one.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by jwf_frani
...the track conditions are tricky even for locals. you almost need two
set ups on the same day. ...
No doubt, what a rough weekend! The prototype's looking real nice Dennis. Very impressive.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
This is an IFMAR announcement.
Have a look HERE.
It looks like the IFMAR bloc's have and voted to eliminate the 4.5mm exhaust port rule altogether.
This will boost Dremel sales.

I believe IFMAR rules (probably ROAR, also) require X number of days notice before introducing a new rule, so if you have an event coming up quite soon, it'll probably be run to the older rule set. You might need to confirm this.

This change just reflects a resurgence in getting the 200mm rules in line with real life (and the member bloc's), I think. The original IFMAR 200mm rules were just "Interim Rules" for a long time and nothing was happening to bring them up to date. In the mean time, both EFRA and ROAR, as the major players, were forging ahead with their own different rules. Late last year, IFMAR dropped the "standard glow plug" rule and I believe, ROAR have adopted this for 2004.
With a bit of luck, engine manufacturers will be able to produce fewer different versions of "legal" engines for the various IFMAR regions.

But the interesting part is the dropping of 235mm from the IFMAR calendar.
I didn't think that would come so soon.
Yep I agree Taylor. You will find that the exhaust port height is self limiting. Raise it too high and your mileage goes way under 5 minutes. Hence limiting it is pointless.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by AMGRacer
Yep I agree Taylor. You will find that the exhaust port height is self limiting. Raise it too high and your mileage goes way under 5 minutes. Hence limiting it is pointless.
I disagree with this.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

Hello Dennice.
It was real plesure to meet you at Revelation and have little chat with you. I wish to have more time to talk!
I am sure your engine will have realy good future.
Thanks a lot for advice about the piston, will try it this upcomming weekend and let you know what I feel. Also want to try new RD turbo II, hope will be able to get one before weekend.
Have fun
Edward.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:57 AM
Tech Addict

Default power to the people

Old 03-30-2004, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

I was talking to Dennis and he said there will be some minor
changes to casing. What changes i don't know all i know is
brad and Dennis had pretty good power. So I'm sure everyone
will be satisfied with the engine when it becomes available.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by jwf_frani
I was talking to Dennis and he said there will be some minor
changes to casing. What changes i don't know all i know is
brad and Dennis had pretty good power. So I'm sure everyone
will be satisfied with the engine when it becomes available.
Was the engines Brad and Dennis using a standard or turbo plug and 3 ports?
thanks
Old 04-01-2004, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

i'm sure it was a 3 port but not sure if it was a turbo plug engine
Old 04-02-2004, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Which plug?

Originally posted by RoyU
Was the engines Brad and Dennis using a standard or turbo plug and 3 ports?
thanks
We both ran O'donnell standard plugs 0099. I will be running the turbo plug O'Donnell turbo 0077 probably from now on.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Top Gun 777
I disagree with this.
So you are saying running a lot of exhaust timing does not decrease mileage? Care to explain this?
Old 04-02-2004, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the remarks guys
I had a good time and we got alot accompolished. testing of the protype went well however we ran NS engines during the event. The turbo 2 pipe exceeded my expectations by a large margin. That thing really works good. The details of the engine are settled and the project is moving forward. A little impromptu meeting occured at the pit tables between Myself, Gary and the rest of the RD staff about the engine.(everything about the case is settled finally) I recieved a new 1/8th pipe even though we did not get the chance to test it yet. I also recieved another pipe we designed for the Truck guys running 28 sized engines. We tested some of the new Odonnel turbo plugs and really liked them. Hats off to Steve. A simple thing 0077 or 0099 turbo (hot/cold) done deal. we were running standard plug 3 port engines. we didn't do very well but it was not because of a lack of power.

Francis,Kevin good to see you again.

Edward,Henry nice meeting you.

Last edited by Motorman; 04-02-2004 at 04:28 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.