Wiki Posts
Search

17.5t looking for new motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 17.5t looking for new motor

Hi im looking to get a 17.5t motor to run boosted but there so many to pick from like d3 sp v3 x12 ready sonic gm thunder power team powers so come on guy help me out here it will be run with hb xtreme stock
Old 07-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Craig W
Hi im looking to get a 17.5t motor to run boosted but there so many to pick from like d3 sp v3 x12 ready sonic gm thunder power team powers so come on guy help me out here it will be run with hb xtreme stock
Get whatever someone in your area is selling used in good condition at a good price. You should be able to find something for ~$40.

-Mike
Old 07-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Get whatever someone in your area is selling used in good condition at a good price. You should be able to find something for ~$40.

-Mike
thank you for that mike
Old 07-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Tech Addict

I very much like the Speed Passion V3 motors for boosted. They are not the fastest for non-boosted, but very smooth and cool-running in boosted.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would say LRP X-12 but that motor only really runs well on boost when paired with the LRP speed control and its special setting otherwise it gets hot, at least it did when I tried to run it with the same settings as a Novak motor on a Novak Havok SC speed control... Overall though, the speed control is more important than the motor for boosted 17.5. A good speed control will make a slow motor fast.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

I have 3 17.5 motors. A duo2, a duo3 and a tekin redline. I use the duo3 most of the time. All of them are very close to the same speed though with similar boost settings. I've seen a ton of different motors perform near identically in 17.5 boosted class. Novak Ballistic, ORCA, SPv3.0, LRP X12, all of the various Trinity/EPIC Duo line of motors, Tekin, Murfdogg, etc., etc., etc.

I think the choice of ESC and the way you set it up makes a bigger difference than the motor does. Lately it seems to matter less and less which ESC you choose though. Most of them have come out with firmware updates now that make them very competitive.

More important than either of these things though is having the ability to consistently drive the best lines through the infield. That mainly comes down to chassis setup and most of all, the nut behind the wheel.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

the thunder power 17.5 is by far the best 17.5 motor i have ever used!!!
Old 07-28-2011, 03:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

All the fast cars in 17.5 boosted locally run either the D3 or the Novak Ballistic. Most with The Hobbywing as well.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:37 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nilks
I very much like the Speed Passion V3 motors for boosted. They are not the fastest for non-boosted, but very smooth and cool-running in boosted.
+1 SP V3 for me too.