JAMMIN x2 diff-gear problem....HELP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAMMIN x2 diff-gear problem....HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Tech Adept

Default JAMMIN x2 diff-gear problem....HELP?

Thanx for any help.

I've ran (2) x1 crt's, (1) x1x crt, and the new x2 crt. last year. I had absolutley NO ISSUES with the first 3 truck's diff-gears, even after going through 3 Force .28's on the first one, (2) .28's + (2) .21's one the second, etc. etc.-(many engines on 1 set of gears)

BUT, my x2 truck showed wear on the diffs within 4-5 gallons, and were "sharpened" and chipped within the second engine!

The only difference in the x2 and the other trucks is, the instructions say to use 2 shims on the planetary gears, and the first 2 trucks instr. said to use 1 shim.

I went by the instr. because I thought there might be a reason?

If anyone has had this problem (on the x2 crt) please tell me how you solved it.

BTW, I called OFNA, and they said, "there should'nt be a problem"
Old 01-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Tech Regular

you talking about internal gears? i've had no problems with my x2(same diffs) and never seen a problem with the gears wearing in the diffs.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Tech Adept

Yes-internal, & like I said, I've had 4 ofna trucks now (same gears) with NO problems whatsoever, exept the x2?
Did you use 2 shims per the instr., or just 1, like the old models?

Thanx
Old 01-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I presume you mean the ring and pinion gears. (the little one in the bulkhead and the big one around the diff case.) Shimming is by feel... it should roll smooth without binding, but otherwise be a good fit with minimal lash. Too loose = lest contact patch and more wear. Too tight = binding and more wear. Also you should grease the gears every time you do your diffs... we use lithium grease (white stuff in a tube.) Just enough to get a good coating all the way around the ring gear.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Tech Adept

Default DOMIT

DOMIT, thanx man, no it's the INTERNAL gears-(cross-pin gears) that have worn too fast. I'm gettin' a new kit for this season and am tempted to use just 1 shim this time, but trying not to totally blow out a set experimenting!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i had the same problem with my rear diff of my buggy. i have been running jammin x1 for a year or so then converted it to an x2 and now my rear diff went, it is the internal diff not ring and pinion. so i just ordered a whole new diff, all internal and ring gear off ebay for 12.50 so you might just want to do that for now to have a back up.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Tech Regular

i used both shims (2 each side) with no problems in mine. i've got a few spares of almost everything. I've never had a problem with them. I also race with some factory guys and they say use both...idk you can try 1 but it's up to you. I'd use 2 on each side and just see if it was a fluke thing...idk it's up to you. I'm by NO MEANS an exptert at this just telling you what i know from experience.

BTW I ran my Jammin' X2 buggy for almost 3months with NO MAINTENANCE to the rear diff with 2shims and have absolutely NO wear on it....(I ran that long to test the durability and so i cold LEARN the car. I know how it handles at it's BEST and it's WORST lol)
Old 01-26-2010, 09:14 PM
Tech Adept

I know, I hear it all the time from guys at my local tracks-"duh, I have'nt had ANY problems with MY x2 diffs!"
And that's precisely what bugs the he11 outa me, NEITHER DID I----on the first THREEEEEE trucks! Like you said, maybe it's a fluke?

Keep'm comin', maybe SOMEONE knows exactly what's up here.

Oh' yeah, I WAS filling my diffs 100%, not 80%, per instr., anyone know for shure if that's a bad thing?

thanx again
Old 01-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

yeah i go a couple of months without changing mine and i was surprised i had a problem that was the first DNF i have gotten. but i bought the X1 used and ran the snot out of it last year and the internals were still the same from the x1 so they have tons of time on them so i guess it was time but other than that and me stripping out the plastic i havent had one problem in over a year.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

x1 x2 same diff case same internal gears, ring and pinion gears (outside) are different. shim the x2 internal gears the same as the x1.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just put in the Hot Bodies steel gears out of the d8t and be done with that problem, and the oil will stay cleaner longer also .
Old 01-27-2010, 07:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nothin special
Just put in the Hot Bodies steel gears out of the d8t and be done with that problem, and the oil will stay cleaner longer also .
REALLY? VERY ITERESTING !! That's something to look at for shure. I can also see why the oil would stay cleaner. thanx, I might just try that.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by n.c.trigerhappy
REALLY? VERY ITERESTING !! That's something to look at for shure. I can also see why the oil would stay cleaner. thanx, I might just try that.
these are the ones you want: http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...8101-1&click=3

im sure you can find them on ebay cheaper. make sure you get the hardened steel set.

ive got close to 20 gallons on a set of gears and they still look brand new
Old 01-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I run the HPI part #87521 . no problems at all, my friends are running the same with great luck .
Old 01-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nothin special
+1 they last forever

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.