Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What is TOO TECHNICAL for an off road track?? >

What is TOO TECHNICAL for an off road track??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is TOO TECHNICAL for an off road track??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 04:54 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default What is TOO TECHNICAL for an off road track??

Just a question for all you racers out there.When does a track become Too technical? Sohelp me out guys. Lets here some opinions and Ideas.

Last edited by 2wdMod; 11-16-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:01 AM
Tech Elite

I'm a track owner, and your correct.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

2wdmod,you can't win maybe just try to talk to the guy show him some pic's of other tracks maybe that would help.Good luck.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

What tracks are you refering too. Your sig says Mi. I race a bit in Michigan.
I will try to better understand to help you out.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Any photos of the track? How big is it ?

As a paying racer you should give the owner input....if he shrugs it off, might be time to go elsewhere.....he will figure it out eventually.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

This situation is actually pretty common and at the bottom of it is the issue that the track owner is desiging tracks for himself, not his customers. Even experienced racers that drive well tend to not have as much fun on these types of layouts. Help the guy understand that first and foremost, people want to race.

If his layouts are too hard for the good drivers to have good racing then odds are, there are no beginners coming into the hobby at his track and certainly none staying. Once he sees that this is hitting him in the pocket book he should come around.

A track should be difficult to drive fast but not difficult to simply drive around.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Davidka
This situation is actually pretty common and at the bottom of it is the issue that the track owner is desiging tracks for himself, not his customers. Even experienced racers that drive well tend to not have as much fun on these types of layouts. Help the guy understand that first and foremost, people want to race.

If his layouts are too hard for the good drivers to have good racing then odds are, there are no beginners coming into the hobby at his track and certainly none staying. Once he sees that this is hitting him in the pocket book he should come around.

A track should be difficult to drive fast but not difficult to simply drive around.

Last edited by 2wdMod; 11-16-2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
He says he refuses to put in any more wussy tracks, and that if you cant drive his tracks then you need to work on your skills.
If thats what he said, then stop going to that track if your not having fun. Go elsewhere and enjoy your hobby. And I say this as a track owner myself.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

2wdmod ygpm.

I can try and help you... I don't know your truck but maybe some of my T4 setup ideas will work for the track you are having trouble with.

The 2 tracks you are comparing i believe require some setup changes between them.

This is my T4 setup.....

Front Blue springs 30-35wt #2 piston .120 shock limiters
camber link (1a) inside on the tower and hub
shocks middle on the tower and inside on the arm
Rear Green springs 25-30wt #1 piston .090 shock limiters
camber link (1c) inside on the tower outside on the hub
shocks middle on tower and inside on the arm
plastic truck(chassis, arms, shock towers) –1 deg camber front & rear
30caster block, battery middle.
31/30 ride height.

good luck
Old 11-14-2008, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
Just a question for all you racers out there.When does a track become so technical that it is just a glorified obstacle course? The reason I ask is we have a semi-local track owner here that I think is truly a little over the top on his track layouts.His track is layed out so technical that there is no straight away without an obstacle on it at all. Not just jumps, but true obstacles like a tripple timing whammy like a large double into a lane cross over to a 4 pack with no rythym to it at all.So if you dont time it perfect that 1 straight will add like 6 sec. to your lap times. When you go there to race you dont spend the day racing against other drivers, you spend the day doing nothing but racing against the track.In 20 years of racing this is the only time I have ever encountered a situation like this. His attendance is really pretty low, and i think it's due to the difficulty of the tracks he puts in.His facility is super nice, and I would love to see him around for a long time.He is a good guy, but I would like to try and convince him that his turn outs will increase if he tames his track down a little bit for the average racer. The reason I say this is because just 35 miles from his track is another indoor track that sees outrageous #'s during the winter.Were talking like 250-300 entries on a regular race day when the track in question doesnt even see that for a trophy race or event race. And I dont feel I am whining,I honestly feel that racers vote with their dollars, and from what I have seen most dollars around here are going elsewhere. Sohelp me out guys. Lets here some opinions and Ideas on how to confront this. And sorry , but I dont want to use names because I sure am not trying to get him any neg. publicity out of this.

I know what 2 tracks your are talking about I race at both. and to be honest one of the reasons why track "B" has such a great turn out has to do with its location, the people who race there, and the fact they have been running the same program for almost 10 years.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I would go by the results.

If the racing is tight and the results are close, the track is probably not too technical. But, if the top 2 cars are lapping the rest of the field, its probably is.

In general I would always rather race the guy next to me than the track itself, if that makes any sense.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the input nick. I am just trying to figure out a way so track "A" can pull some of the beginner/intermediate people from the area.It really isnt that I have a problem with the layouts, but they are VERY intimmidating to newbs or intermediate level people.

Last edited by 2wdMod; 11-16-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ed237
I would go by the results.

If the racing is tight and the results are close, the track is probably not too technical. But, if the top 2 cars are lapping the rest of the field, its probably is.

In general I would always rather race the guy next to me than the track itself, if that makes any sense.

Last edited by 2wdMod; 11-16-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

If there is a local track to compete with then perhaps he should schedule his races to be run at a separate time. There is no point in trying to pull from the Jone's crowd on race day when you can pull from them on their off day. Odds are he has an on site hobby shop and the rough track causes parts to break. Indoor clay tracks don't go through tires if slicks are the hot ticket either. This means that he has to sale a lot of parts to make money. Just think about it, lipos, bl motors, escs, and tires are all flawless after a day of racing and the guy is trying to get stuff sold.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

It sounds like he is wanting to cater to a certain group. If that's what he wants, it's his option, but attendance will probably always be low.

As for the general question, I usually like fast tracks that let you race others. I think many track designers start going after something that looks awesome rather than something that drives well. Some of the most fun tracks I've tried appear to be really simple until you get in a race and find that there are several areas that you have to ace in order to run up front.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.