Longer TC Races...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longer TC Races...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Tech Regular

Have you seen a 1/8 on-road gas cars on a true 1/8 track, the power and speed is unbelieveable, my 1/10 touring with a 8t motor is like a mabuchi 540 compares to them.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by caveman
Have you seen a 1/8 on-road gas cars on a true 1/8 track, the power and speed is unbelieveable, my 1/10 touring with a 8t motor is like a mabuchi 540 compares to them.

Wurd.

Wrecks at those speeds? Nothing short of impressive!
Old 12-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Show me a 1/8th scale onroad electric car.....

The problem with the bigger slaves and electric, is that the motor sizes don't increase, like they do for gas (.15 in 1/10th and .21 or bigger in the bigger scales).....

Not a doubt in my mind that if you had a motor of propertional size, that a 1/8th electric car could hang with a 1/8th gas verion....runtime is the issue though......

And the attempt to break the MPH record....was on a huge oval track.....the gas fell 15 MPH short.....dosn't get much bigger than that....

Later EddieO
Old 12-03-2005, 05:08 PM
Suspended

Nitro record- 101.7 mph-Steve Pond-SNRS4-Runway
Electric record-111 mph-Cliff Lett-TC3-Oval

I'm no genius, but that looks like a 9.3 mph difference. I'd guess that given more research and time, that the outcome would be different.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Tech Regular

Don't want to turn this into gas vs electric thread, this is my last post. A good .12 or .15 engine can produce more than 1hp(745W), I have yet to see a 540 type motor can make more than 350W on 6cells. If you use 24-30 cells, that's a different story. I could be wrong.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by EddieO
Show me a 1/8th scale onroad electric car.....

Schumacher Big 6 E.P.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Tech Adept

How many different threads to we need about this subject?

This is at least the 3rd or 4th that I have seen in the last couple of months.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ever see a 1/10 pan car with 6 2000 cells and a 10 turn motor? Take 1/8 easy. With todays 3800's, 1/10 pan car 6 cells and 5 turn motors, now your talking electric apples to nitro lemons.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Sorry....9.3 mph.....still pretty far difference...

You won't find it much different....111 is what cliff did and the Steve Pond is the highest official record gas....I remember was just around 100...

There are larger brushless motors that produce 1000 watts.....and they are not that much bigger...

If the world record speed event would of happened.....electric would of took the crown. Where gas has the advantage is duration....they can maintain the speeds for much longer....

Later EddieO
Old 12-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Suspended

I'm sure we could do this all day long, but, that would be silly. I didn't mean for this to get so far away. Soooooooo........

I'm for longer races, on or off the road. The equipment is there, the will is there, the desire is there. Now, I haven't forgotten the less fortunate(such as myself at times), there can still be a class or two for them, rules stay the same, or at least close. We don't need to replace a class, maybe just split. How do you think mod came to be? At one time, everyone had the same motors, but some modified theirs. "Stock" wasn't replaced, just split. Like any motorsport, you need to evolve, or your favorite racing class becomes antiquated, slow, overweight wastes-of-time; like NASCAR.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:45 PM
Tech Regular

OK here goes.

People are saying they want longer run times, and this should force top factory guys to run less motor. I am sorry to hurt your feelings, but that is a fallacy that is in your own world. All this will do at major races is force the non factory guys to spend more on motors and batteries because the factory pro will still run the same 6 turn without altering their gearing, their battery sponser will now reserve the best cells for them, and their motor tuner will have to work twice as hard. All you will be doing is extending the gap between those who get equipment for free and those who don't. Even say if they do run less motors, run a 12 turn instead of a 8 turn, they will do just like they did at the Japanese nationals and run 40+ degrees of timing. Hmm, from my experience this will create just as much wear as running a 7 turn with 10 degrees of timing. The wear issue of the motors is not a factor because it will not change for the factory guys, it will only affect the nonfactory guys who have to buy multiple motors for every LARGE EVENT just to keep up.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Didn't Chris Collins post a 117+ mph run with a 20 cell dragster over a 300 foot strait-away?

Even electric boat strait-away speeds surpass nitro boats.

Back to the origonal point. I race Stock Spec sedan (P2K motor & CS-27 tires) at my "local" race track, our races are 5 minutes long. Today I practiced during lunch to get used to a new transmitter. I ran close to 15 minutes on my GP3300s. I use IB 3800s to race. I think my equiptment could last 6 minute races no problem. I think the problems with suggesting that we extend the races to 6 minutes are two things: most everyone else wants to get out of the track as early as possible, and some people just don't like change.

I have been consistantly qualifying in the top 3 (in my heats). However, I always seem to get forced into the pile-up on the first turn. This usually puts me in last place. I then spend the rest of the race moving up the field. I think the extra minute might help me gain a position or two.

I also race 12th scale, so I'm used to longer races.

-Frank
Old 12-03-2005, 10:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I run a race track and i race myself,I'm on the fence on this one,As a racer I would not mind running 6 minute's,I just see it as being very hard on equipment running longer than 6 minute's.Most of the racers in my area dont want to race longer than 5 minutes.. So 5 minutes it is..
Old 12-03-2005, 11:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by T. Thomas
OK here goes.

People are saying they want longer run times, and this should force top factory guys to run less motor. I am sorry to hurt your feelings, but that is a fallacy that is in your own world. All this will do at major races is force the non factory guys to spend more on motors and batteries because the factory pro will still run the same 6 turn without altering their gearing, their battery sponser will now reserve the best cells for them, and their motor tuner will have to work twice as hard. All you will be doing is extending the gap between those who get equipment for free and those who don't. Even say if they do run less motors, run a 12 turn instead of a 8 turn, they will do just like they did at the Japanese nationals and run 40+ degrees of timing. Hmm, from my experience this will create just as much wear as running a 7 turn with 10 degrees of timing. The wear issue of the motors is not a factor because it will not change for the factory guys, it will only affect the nonfactory guys who have to buy multiple motors for every LARGE EVENT just to keep up.
I covered this on page 3. If you don't come prepared - you didn't come to compete.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Phatkat
Typical bible-thumper; his way or no way. Give me a break.
Typical Trash talker..
Takes someone elses opinions and becasue they believe that there is a GOD has to make a derogatory comment about there opinion..
I mearly stated Speed is the the reason why I got into this hobby. Granted there are alot more people who got into this hobby becasue of the speed as well, my statement was MINE and not to reflect anyone else opinion.

Oh and I did do nitro, it was slower because of the size tracks we race on in SOuthern California. Lots more parking lots than giant 8th scale gas tracks here...
Oh for off road nitro is cool also...Just got tired of the minimal time driving to the major time maintancing.
I can cut a comm, solder new brushes, check alignment of brushhoods, lube and break in my electric motor in all of 10 minutes. That leaves me plenty of time for setup tweeks and checking everything else...
Nitro maintance was a pain for ME because you have to put in another hour of maintance when you got home...
Make sure all the electronic gear is out before cleaning off all the nitro goop that is all over your car. putting in after run oil and what not...
Took too much time and wasn't an enjoyable part of the hobby for ME so I like electric.
Oh and for the record this statement is MY opinion and does not reflect the entire opinion of all (as you would call) Bible thumpers. There is two classes because there is enough intrest for both.
Take Care & May the GOD of Heaven & Earth Bless YOU.
-Shookie <><

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.