Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 05:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Default NEWBIE questions

Hey guys..hope you guys can help me out on this..
i really know nuts bout r/c but i'm very interested in them...
could you guys guide me on how to start on this?...as in like what should i get...whether nitro or electric...and what's the difference between them...
and where should i go to...i really hope you guys can help me out on this...
is there any like starter kit around?...and where is the usual place you guys go to?...err...also i'm looking for BMW M3 bodyshell...do they have this?..thanx!...hope to hear from you guys soon.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Jason,

Welcome to RC world.. it's a fun hobby. Before deciding what to buy, I suggest that you go the local track where the RC guys usually play. Have a look at their car when its running on the track.... choose which one you like, nitro or electric..??? then, ask them, in terms of durability, driveability, stability, handling and also parts support. Also, most important, which one fits your budget... basically, take your time browsing around, you can ask those rc guys for advise..dont be shy... you can visit RC Pitstop at Subang Square, HPC at Glenmarie and Yokomo at SS14(am I right???).

I am in position to tell you what car to get.. it's entirely up to your choice and budget.

just my 1cent of oppinion
Old 08-28-2005, 10:26 PM
KoE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

T A M I Y A for all of those terms except...ehemm...parts support (at the moment) untill Leonard (viper1) finalizes on that! pm him or me if ya want to know mooooore about the great blue & red stars

nitro? what nitro? ya don't want to go that way....it's noisy, dirty and all the bad stuffs but savage is a different matter LOL!
Old 08-28-2005, 10:38 PM
Tech Adept

You first have to decide which type of vehicle you prefer:
1) On Road (1/8 or 1/10 scale)
2) Off road (Buggy or Truck)
3) Electric or Gas powered.

This is a good place to ask around. I'm sure lotsa people will be willing to help.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:04 AM
tornado

To play on road, you need to have a smooth track to play to start off with be it electric powered (EP) or nitro or we call them gas powered (GP). Currently, GP touring cars is rambling more than the EP touring but they do play at same places like Klang - Kota Raja, Glemarie - HPC Speedway (still under construction), Titiwangsa (much bigger track and suitable for GP) and now a not maintained Yokomo track @ Subang Jaya SS14 (more suitable for EP 'cos is smaller) and off course not forgetting the weekend make shift car park roof top track @ Atria Shopping Centre.....just to name a few.

To start EP or GP......well cost about the same but I reckon EP is much easier to start 'cos you just charge up and go zipping on the track. Need not worry much about a lot of things until you have decided to go serious.........better chargers, motors, equipments like a motor lathe, dyno, dischargers ....... aaaarrrrgh the list gets endless !!

GP on the other hand you still need to charge up the receiver packs b4 playing and you need to learn the art of tuning the engine.......if you go for the Italian powerhorse........sometimes it can bog you down. If you have decided on GP, get the Japanese engine ....ie OS.....once tuned and you don't have to worry much........just roll only ..........when you've gained experience, you may try the Italian babies.......more oooomph!!

The next on-road category.....EP actually would be the 1/18 scales and 1/24(mini Z) you could play indoor with these cars and there is only one indoor track in KV and it is in Puchong Jaya.

Another option is the 1/12 pan car. Yeah....EP too......a very rare race machine these days but hey there are some zipping around on the tracks and these thinggy are absolutely fast, able to give the 1/8 GP boys a run for their money!!

Well the next thing is off-road.......be it EP or GP, the issues are the same with only one thing extra......and ie. DIRT.......after a run your car could really look like "shit"......but if you run GP.......just remove the radio tray (where all your servos, receiver and batteries are mounted), cap the carb and hose it down baby . blow dry with high pressure air (normally track owners would have one air compressor drivers to use), re-oil the bearings and voila!!.

Next is running cost. GP onroad being the most expensive of the lot and GP offroad being the lowest....ok guys don't flame me......just my opinion K.

EP response is very quick and very sensitive to changes you've made to your car settings and could fine tune to suit your driving style and track. Throttle response is instantaneous. GP on the other hand is a bit slow 'cos there are more mechanical movements......some lag time, compensate by using faster servos..... but you'll get use to it.

So....... are you an onroad who prefer their things clean and spotless or an offroad guy who just love to play in the dirt. The next question is are you an electrician or one who prefers a nitro methanol burning machines ?

Having said all that........the main thing here is to have FUN. be it EP or GP. Be it onroad or offroad.

Cheers man.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:15 AM
Tech Regular

He sounds kinda serious about RC. So someone better enlighten him about the estimated sum of moola he needs to fork out for the various categories If not he will pengsan half way like so many others.

HE MUST KNOW THE TRUTH!!!!!
Old 08-29-2005, 04:31 AM
Tech Rookie

hey guys..thanx alot for the info..
i'm more interested in GP or nitro stuffs...looks more cool hah...
anyways...wher edo you guys recommend to get this stuffs around kl?...
and what are usually the good brands or i would say what brand should i start with?...kyosho?...cen racing?...serpent?...and what sort of engines should i get for starters?...budget around RM2000...maybe max RM2300...
thanx!...and what are the advantages and disadvantages of nitro cars?..thanx!..oh ya...sorry guys and another thing...where should i go around kl or pj to get reasonable and great stuffs?...
been looking around...timesquare: toycity, kyosho(havent been in), 1utama : toycity(tamiya)....seriously need some great info from you guys here...thanx so much!!...r/c rocks!...hah..oppss...sorry ya..i forgot...
where to get M3 bodyshell?...love it...thanx!..
Old 08-29-2005, 05:20 AM
Tech Regular

Is that all you are planning to spend?

Somebody who is into nitro better give him a clearer picture
Old 08-29-2005, 07:12 AM
Tech Adept

If that is your budget, I think you better go for Ready to Run like Kyosho V1s or NTC3 ect.
Just check your local habby store if the stock or able to order parts for you.
One thing for sure is you don't need all those top of the line equitment to get start, it won't do any good to you. But if that is what you want, try increase your budget to RM5000.00 or more.......my friend, you may run far away from this hobby.........
Old 08-29-2005, 08:40 AM
KoE
Tech Master

God forbids ToyCity ....2.3K there would get you not much anywhere; their pricing is simply outrageous! read up in malaysian threads .... they are again in no particular order ... RCPitStop at 1Utama as well as Subang Jaya, HPC at Glenmarie, HobbyHaven also at Subang Jaya, NamLee? at Atria, Madam Lee? at Ampang Park and a couples others.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:42 AM
Tech Regular

Ok, let's get serious. Ignore the laughing smiley on your left. It all depends on what you want.

Do you want to just buy to play on some weekends at the park/track then go home and chuck it in a corner until you feel the urge to go bash it a few rounds again, then get a RTR (Ready to Run) kit.

If you are not the type who likes to get grubby hands then nitro is not even suitable for you. If you are the competitive type and like to tinker with things, willing to get your hands dirty then your budget's not enough.

B'cos your RTR will not be performing anywhere near the kind of speed/power of the cars you have seen. Best thing to do is to visit the track more get to know the guys there better. Talk to them. Ask questions. We RC guys are really a friendly lot.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:37 AM
Tech Adept

Since you already know that you want a nitro car, you now need to choose if you want to go offroad or onroad.
Best advice I can give would be for you to visit the local offroad and onroad tracks and see which type gets you the most excited
I think most of the tracks should be busy on Merdeka Day, so it should be a good time to go have a look.

Oh yeah..... you also need to decide if you want to take part in races in the future, this will have a big influence in what you choose.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by need4speed
Ask questions. We RC guys are really a friendly lot.
yeah... that's rite... but when on track on race day... sendiri mau jaga buntut wooo

anyway.. thats only a joke...
Old 08-29-2005, 07:17 PM
Tech Rookie

hey guys...thanx so much for the info..
actually i just started to get interested...welll i like nitro on road...mainly cars...
hmm...does RTR comes in nitro on road?...think RTR would be a better start before i get my hands on it?...can i like get RTR(cheaper) and mod the parts using the same base(kit) later?...would it be faster then?...actually i'm not really serious yet...just trying to get started and slowly pick up the REAL interest in it...definitely not competition and all for now...thanx..i'm not willing to spend RM5k or more for now...its just a waste for a beginner like me right?...anyway thanx so much for enlighting me...hehe...i noe the good ones can go up to RM6-7k anytime...but that's too hardcore and professional for me...i could upgrade the parts(engines..etc) later right?...or do i have to change the whole kit when i get used to it?..thanx!..really appreciate all the info guys....just wanan have some fun now!..heh..another ques...how far can it travel?...about 200metres?...and ya...lastly..hehe...is the CEN Racing RTR CT4S good?...thanx...that's from tamiya right?

Last edited by jasonctx; 08-29-2005 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Since you have more or less decided on road GP is the category for you, the best thing is to talk to the guys on the track. My suggestion is, get a used car if you have budget limitations or just planning for have a little fun but nothing more serious at the moment. There is a ""good" package (G4 is a pretty fast car and quite sturdy too) for sale at the classified thread. Not point getting a RTR when you already have thoughts of upgrading in the near future. A RTR unit may not be able to withstand a more powerful engine, and if you do a little more research, by the time you put in the bits and pieces to make it faster, lighter and durable, chances are you would be better off getting a pro-kit.

Current kits that are popular with local racers are the Kyosho V1RRR, Serpent 710, Mugen MTX3 (newer version is arriving soon).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.