Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
The time of 4 minute engines has arived >

The time of 4 minute engines has arived

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree13Likes

The time of 4 minute engines has arived

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroVein
That's not how it works, not even close. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

The 2095 is a 2069 with extra silencing so they should behave pretty close, it's not like the old 3000-series of pipes that really choked up the engine.
You know how it works you start the car and you listen put 2 next to each other if you never did, you will see not much difference ..... In the usa there is maybe one or 2 tracks that
really require it again ROAR did it becuase of the laws not for our ears!!
Old 05-14-2019, 12:55 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
What would be funny, is if someone complains that the cars are too noisy to be able to communicate and hear with their fancy headsets

I will say this though, at least in Europe you can still run "hot" (3-9 port) motors in 2wd IC Pan / Classic as you would in 1:8 IC 4wd Open.
Those headsets is a huge market. Original they cost half the price but through a RC shop they are expensive. But yes, with the noice canceling they work awesome.

Regarding the choice of engines.... Our former 1/8 EFRA chairman Sander de Graaf sugested years ago at the EFRA AGM that we have to go back to max 5 ports and ban AAC engines because that will lower the noise. That at a moment I was experimenting a lot with 5 port engines even making more noise than other 9 port engines.....
In the EFRA meeting I have asked to show test results of all same configured engines, there were no test reports..... The sugestion was based on his own feeling but was supported by a guy from Novarossi. Yeah, banning AAC engines would take out the largest competitor at that moment.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Funny you mention that Roelof at our club we have always wondered where / and what the DMC / EFRA rules were based on. There never were any findings posted in the DMC Handbook or quarterly flyers. As you state I think a bunch of it may be based on manufacturers hype / influences. If it is based on chair persons feelings well thats a bit BS, if they are just trying to push an agenda then that is lame too. I am not sure how the voting blocks work, but the vote for rule changes should be based on all clubs that adhere to those rules, so I could see where a vote would dictate the rules and regulations. This too, I hope would avoid any rulings based on Board Members and Manufacturers input!

Oh well, its all Politics at the end of the day...

Lets get back to Racin'
Old 05-14-2019, 01:42 PM
Tech Lord

The voting is simple. Every country sitting at the meeting can vote. There are only 3 big problems.

- most countries do not check with their drivers of how to vote
- several countries are very poor with English so sometimes they understand the proposal in a wrong way.
- not everyone can think technical and let them guide by the explenation of the proposal not thinking of what bad can/may happen.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Yeah, I think that perhaps each club should have a vote, and that with the language barrier it should be fairly translated, given that these days many within the EU speak more than just one language. Even if for the smaller clubs, they would at least feel their input is valued, for example our club only has ~43 members vs. Montpellier in that has perhaps triple the amount of members.

I know perhaps we are getting off topic, yet I wonder if a few of our members may be able to convince our Club President to Inquire into these matters. Given that it is probably due for the rules to be brought up to current standings in line with what the members see as necessary and what is not. I know the DMC is one of the worst!
Old 05-14-2019, 02:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Roelof
Yes, double the noise is 3dB more. 10dB is the difference between 1 car and 10 cars.

The 3036 were crap exept one, the JP 3036 was an awesome pipe. With all the noise issues at the local MACH track I have seen many things that lowers the noise but also affect the tuning and performance. This Hipex exhaust is the first that runs perfect w/o any issues
It's more to it than that, here is a page that explains the differences (most info half-->down): Loudness volume doubling sound level change factor of perceived loudness decibel scale log compare intensities formula calculate power level noise levels volume logarithm dependence three four fold loudness sound - by what factor does level decrease

I believe most brands came out with those pipes, Novarossi had 3006/3007 for Onroad (plus a couple for Offroad).
Originally Posted by ralphierace13
You know how it works you start the car and you listen put 2 next to each other if you never did, you will see not much difference ..... In the usa there is maybe one or 2 tracks that
really require it again ROAR did it becuase of the laws not for our ears!!
I know I've tested and listened to different pipes, like regular and 3000-series. Up close the 3000-series with a really strong engine was horrible, ringing in my ears, but on track it was noticeably quieter.
How we perceive sound is not always true to what it is, just look at MX bikes where people on the track say 2-strokes is so damn loud, but measuring dB tells you it's the opposite. There was on one occasion something like 6 2-stroke bikes running on the track and they were inside regulations, then one 4-stroke started up in the pit and they were above instantly.
If your track doesn't have any regulations then run what you like, but at the same time it's not exactly viable to have rules and parts (pipes etc) that can only be used in some locations.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Bert you didn't race when it was open i think once in 5 years lol!! and u don't race electric, i love ya but you really have no knowledge of what goes on when u have a 15 year old car and don't race!! lol
I pitted for lots of drivers at FBF every weekend, eventhough I only raced a few times. The noise never bothered me...Electric got turned upside down with the Can Am folly, which caused me to only race once this year, but I never saw you there Ralph, and you were not on the 360v2 videos either....Who knows what's going on at Wagner this year with all the rain, and no schedule, etc... Don't blame me for not showing when the Wagner crew only meets in secret....lol....I guess they're scared of Bert's new Ntc3.2.....lol.... Tell them to post something on Facebook or on Rctech.....
Rule changes will on make things worse for racers.....
Old 05-15-2019, 05:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
I pitted for lots of drivers at FBF every weekend, eventhough I only raced a few times. The noise never bothered me...Electric got turned upside down with the Can Am folly, which caused me to only race once this year, but I never saw you there Ralph, and you were not on the 360v2 videos either....Who knows what's going on at Wagner this year with all the rain, and no schedule, etc... Don't blame me for not showing when the Wagner crew only meets in secret....lol....I guess they're scared of Bert's new Ntc3.2.....lol.... Tell them to post something on Facebook or on Rctech.....
Rule changes will on make things worse for racers.....
Bert i don't race electric and there is a chat forum for wagner everyone is informed of the racing. Why u would want to know i don't know you would never show up to a race anyway, wagner is all ready to go its the beginning of may rain is normal...
Old 05-15-2019, 05:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NitroVein
It's more to it than that, here is a page that explains the differences (most info half-->down): Loudness volume doubling sound level change factor of perceived loudness decibel scale log compare intensities formula calculate power level noise levels volume logarithm dependence three four fold loudness sound - by what factor does level decrease

I believe most brands came out with those pipes, Novarossi had 3006/3007 for Onroad (plus a couple for Offroad).

I know I've tested and listened to different pipes, like regular and 3000-series. Up close the 3000-series with a really strong engine was horrible, ringing in my ears, but on track it was noticeably quieter.
How we perceive sound is not always true to what it is, just look at MX bikes where people on the track say 2-strokes is so damn loud, but measuring dB tells you it's the opposite. There was on one occasion something like 6 2-stroke bikes running on the track and they were inside regulations, then one 4-stroke started up in the pit and they were above instantly.
If your track doesn't have any regulations then run what you like, but at the same time it's not exactly viable to have rules and parts (pipes etc) that can only be used in some locations.
man do i miss 2 strokes here in the usa!!! nothing like that sound!!
Old 05-15-2019, 07:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

man do i miss 2 strokes here in the usa!!! nothing like that sound!!
Yeah they sound sooo sweet!! Same with MotoGP, just not the same since they switched to 4-strokes, and it took a real man to ride those 2-strokes!
Old 05-15-2019, 08:16 AM
Tech Champion

Bert i don't race electric and there is a chat forum for wagner everyone is informed of the racing. Why u would want to know i don't know you would never show up to a race anyway, wagner is all ready to go its the beginning of may rain is normal...
What secret chat room ????
Come on guys don't hide in the chat forums, then complain of low attendance...I guess some racers are getting their practice on in secret... I will check it out soon, but too many of the nitro guys are scared to compete and moving to Florida with their tails between their legs...lol....
In any case my six minute plus Ab mods engine is ready to take on all of these 4minute gas guzzlers anytime....

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 05-15-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
What secret chat room ????
Come on guys don't hide in the chat forums, then complain of low attendance...I guess some racers are getting their practice on in secret... I will check it out soon, but too many of the nitro guys are scared to compete and moving to Florida with their tails between their legs...lol....
In any case my six minute plus Ab mods engine is ready to take on all of these 4minute gas guzzlers anytime....
Jealous people never prosper. I still can never figure out who you are.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pooh2
Jealous people never prosper. I still can never figure out who you are.
Pooh he is no one!!! bert dude whats wrong with you??? serious I know you a long time and like u a lot but I am not joking what's wrong with you please stop u don't even know what your talking about and you don't race!!! and you are talking all jiberish!!! no secret forum just come out and race once in 5 years!! or stop talking about it!!
Old 05-15-2019, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

I don't mind engine not making 4 mins. As long as they are going faster. 8 scale in the F1 of the hobby. It should always be the fastest and most advanced!
Old 05-16-2019, 11:38 AM
Tech Champion

My knowledge is too advanced...Just go racing guys with your 4minute engines!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.