Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 720

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Neptune
Im new to onroad racing and new to these forums. I have decide to buy the serpent 720 '07 version when it comes out and I want to know what option parts are most of you using and what I should get?

On road racing seems to be very confusing.

The car is really good stock. My car is pretty much bone stock. However, we all get to be excited sometimes and of course we all love our cars and buy things for it whenever we can . The 720 07 look like it's gonna be a very nice package with some hop ups already included in the box.

Like anything out there, new stuff can be confusing (onroad is not as bad as it seems though). But don't be discouraged as there is always someone on this thread who is more than willing to try and answer your questions about the car .
Old 03-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Neptune
Im new to onroad racing and new to these forums. I have decide to buy the serpent 720 '07 version when it comes out and I want to know what option parts are most of you using and what I should get?

On road racing seems to be very confusing.
Nothing... it's all added in the '07 car.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for replying guys. I will be looking into the 3rd one way, it seems interesting.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Tech Regular

Hi,

I'm new to the thread, I got the very last 720 kit from Ace HH when they were going out of business. I'm getting ready to build it now. Is there anything I need to know or look out for when building this Kit?

My LHS is having a very hard time getting me a reciever pack from Serpent? (Hobby Town USA, East Park Store, Lincoln, Nebraska) They are an authorized dealer I believe.

Are other parts going to be difficult to get, too? Store employee says Serpent doesn't respond/ship quickly? (I've been waiting more than a month) I got a call last week saying "Your Battery is here!!" Only to get there and find out it's not the proper pack for the 720?!! Does anyone else have this problem?

What parts break on this car? I'm new to nitro onroad, please tell me what spares to get. I don't want to wait weeks to get my parts. I'm the only guy around here with a serpent car, everyone else runs mugens.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2007, 11:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by celeritas
Hi,

I'm new to the thread, I got the very last 720 kit from Ace HH when they were going out of business. I'm getting ready to build it now. Is there anything I need to know or look out for when building this Kit?

My LHS is having a very hard time getting me a reciever pack from Serpent? (Hobby Town USA, East Park Store, Lincoln, Nebraska) They are an authorized dealer I believe.

Are other parts going to be difficult to get, too? Store employee says Serpent doesn't respond/ship quickly? (I've been waiting more than a month) I got a call last week saying "Your Battery is here!!" Only to get there and find out it's not the proper pack for the 720?!! Does anyone else have this problem?

What parts break on this car? I'm new to nitro onroad, please tell me what spares to get. I don't want to wait weeks to get my parts. I'm the only guy around here with a serpent car, everyone else runs mugens.

Thanks

I'll put in my 2 cents on the parts issue. I've had my 720 since it first came out and I've never had an issue with parts. If I don't get my parts from my LHS (listed in my sig), I will normally purchase from one of the online stores below and have it within 2-3 days top.

As for the battery, you have options. Once again, you can order from Serpent, online hobby store, eBay, or do like I do and make my own.

Winner's Circle
Ashford Hobby
Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies

As far as parts breaking, the car is pretty durable especially with what I put it through evry week . One of the few parts I may occasionaly break is PN: 801212/801213 (Steering block). However, I always like to keep an extra this and that for those just in case situatuions. I'm sure others can go more in detail of the parts they have in the their tool boxes.

Have fun with your new 720!

Nel
Old 03-06-2007, 06:15 AM
Tech Regular

I like winners circle for parts supply.
Lee muse is the owner and he answered the phone when I had questions.
I heard nitrohouse is now stocking serpent cars and parts.
Solder together you own receiver pack.
cheapbatterys.com has 1000mah AAA cells.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wizby
The way I understand it a front oneway cannot be used. The car would have no brakes at all with a front one way.
I suggest you read back a few pages and reconsider your understanding.
Please bear in mind that the brake disk is directly connected to the rear pulley. And thus you will always have brakes on the rear.....
Old 03-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the replies.

Keep 'em coming.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

Here is a photo of our track from last summer, during a Heart of America Series race.

Here is some video I shot last year during the R/C Pro series event held here.

R/C Pro Series 1/8 Scale 'A' Main video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1yAgqqu29o
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 720-desk1001.jpg  

Last edited by celeritas; 03-06-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Julius
I suggest you read back a few pages and reconsider your understanding.
Please bear in mind that the brake disk is directly connected to the rear pulley. And thus you will always have brakes on the rear.....
Ok I went back and studied the picture. The rear pulley is attached to the brake adaptor. Its a solid connection. So I dont get the reason for the 3rd oneway. Just run the front oneway that came with the car. I dont get it. (just stupid)
Old 03-07-2007, 06:47 AM
Tech Adept

You do not lose steering at corner entry. Only because the one way helps to remove the drag in the drivetrain, the car will slow down less when you let off the throttle. That means you may find yourself using the brake more.

Or you can change the setup to be more agressive at corner entry.

Because in the beginning you need to get used to the free roll in the car you might interpret it as losing steering.
Hi Julius, I just mounted the 3rd One Way in my car I also have the new chassis, I will used it on Sunday, just to be on the safe side (I am been lazy), can you give a tip what will be the minor set up I will have to look for to adjust the car with the 3rd One Way

Thanks for the time you spend helping us Serpent owner around the world, that is one of the reasons I do not change from serpent even thought they do not have a representative in Panama.

RCPANAMA
Old 03-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

@ RCpanama,

Thanks for the kind words.
Initially I'd not change the setup at all. A thing you can try when you feel the car can do with more mid corner steering is a little more caster.

Also you might try running the short rear upper arm if you're not already using it.

When using the new chassis, do experiment with the carbon plate. Depending on the track it can make quite a difference. I suggest installing it, going for a run and have a pitman remove it after about 10 laps so you really get a back to back feel for the result. The end result can vary a bit from track to track so this is one you really need to test on the spot.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Tech Adept

@ RCpanama,

Thanks for the kind words.
Initially I'd not change the setup at all. A thing you can try when you feel the car can do with more mid corner steering is a little more caster.

Also you might try running the short rear upper arm if you're not already using it.

When using the new chassis, do experiment with the carbon plate. Depending on the track it can make quite a difference. I suggest installing it, going for a run and have a pitman remove it after about 10 laps so you really get a back to back feel for the result. The end result can vary a bit from track to track so this is one you really need to test on the spot.

Thanks Julius, I do have already the short rear upper, I will do your advice with the chassis, our track is from mid to low traction, so I’ll post on Monday how it was with the 3rd one way.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi All,

Anyone running an O.S engine on a Serpent 720 ? I own a OS .12 TR-T R Spec and i tried to fit the Centax III on it, but the flywheel does not fit on the engine collet, it stays far way from the front bearing. Anyone had this problem before ? Should i change the collet ? is there a special centax for OS Engines from Serpent ? Thanks in advance.

Alex Kyoshosan
www.copainferno.com.br
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 720-sketch.jpg  
Old 03-07-2007, 10:25 PM

hi, in my 710, it says to use collet that comes with the kit. but can not remember the case for 720??

Asil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.