Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree15Likes

New Team Durango DEX410V5 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JRSlash
That gets me fired up too. Buying a parts tree that has parts for other cars I don't even own... They could separate parts, and save and recycle the excess plastic and save a few pennies. Some trees have more plastic into the molding channels than in the actual part anyways, some having i.e. 1oz of total plastic and 18gr of that is waste. I get that the molds are expensive and/or labor but come on. They could have improve in the last 5 or 6 years with the same complaints.... just saying.
Again, the cost is the same to put all the parts or just the one you need. There's no recycling in china/taiwan, I don't think they even know recycling exists

All the manufacturers have this issue, I've built so many kits that left me with a huge bag of unused parts. It's the downside of making plastic parts, you just have to accept it.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I completely agree with you. there's noting that they or me can do about it. In the mean time I refused to buy a whole parts tree for a .05 part and milled out my own of aluminum and looks darn good. Ill post a pic later on.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:02 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
I don't know what Intech has done, maybe they made a very small mold. But that's not cost effective. The point is, they can't make the part individually, so the cost is the same whether you're packaging only the part that you want or all of them.
Cost effective is relative to what you expect your rate of return to be from the parts tree itself.

Its not cost effective that you bundle up some much stuff that is not needed on a parts tree that the owners or potential owners of the vehicle decide to go somewhere else where they can get a vehicle that doesn't have said part on an elaborate parts tree.

In reality, you need to as a manufacturer be smart as to how you are packaging your items relative to if you are going to go the parts tree route to offer perceived value to your customers so you can get there repeat business. Buying $10 a pop part trees for a part that another manufacturer is selling for $4 with multiple of that part in question included gives you pause.

Intech and other companies I am sure have factored that in, like Team Associated for one, as can be seen here:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSYY1&P=7

or here:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFZL5&P=Z

and as can be seen here, its not sitting on a parts tree even for these little items:

The second example does show an additional item that I wouldn't have needed from my current line up, which would have been the inserts for the shock eyelets. However, there is more perceived value here versus a parts tree at $10 with on it 2 of the parts you need (in this case with the AE item for shock eyelets, you get 4), none of them like what I described or worse, parts that don't even go to the model of vehicle you have.

Last edited by Cain; 08-01-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
I don't know what Intech has done, maybe they made a very small mold. But that's not cost effective. The point is, they can't make the part individually, so the cost is the same whether you're packaging only the part that you want or all of them.
While that's the case. thew manufacturers are making enough money off these parts and actually lose money by selling parts trees as they do. It would be in everyone's best interest if they hired 2 people to separate and sort parts from the trees so they can sell each part type for a great deal more than their cost per unit to the point the parts trees literally fund the entire operation. THAT is how profitable these little parts can be. The sheer laziness of manufacturers is what leads to waste that costs the consumer more money than the entire parts tree cost to make. If you break down a parts tree and sold the eyelets for $2.99 per pair or $3.99 per set and everything else on the tree at a similar price per unit, can you imagine how much money one parts tree would yield?

This is what companies like Intech do because in order for them to undercut everyone else they need a lower cost per unit. And for arguments sake, lat's say they pay the same per tree as everyone else, this shows how much others overcharge for things just because they can.

Hudy anyone? At his prices they must make a single mould per item or perhaps they use some extremely exotic plastic composite for his stuff… Oh wait! They don't! His stuff just has some Hudy water sprinkled on them with a few uhmdelay chants and viola! Better quality! LOL

The ONE good thing about receiving extra parts on the trees is when you need to improvise and potentially MacGyver it to finish a race day and can't get parts! I made a damn Hex out of a piston once!
I've made washers/spacers, Body posts, and have fixed shock towers by bracing the snapped portion with those identifier pieces! It took 2 of them with some superglue and duct tape but I finished the day in 5th! LOL
Old 08-01-2016, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

On a more important note, what front and rear 12mm wheels can I run on a 410v3?

I'm finally converting our 14mm wheels to 12mm but I was wondering if I can run Jconcepts because they come 4 to a pack and I need a bunch. Would rather not pay seven dollars a pair when I can pay $8 for four.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by the incubus
On a more important note, what front and rear 12mm wheels can I run on a 410v3?

I'm finally converting our 14mm wheels to 12mm but I was wondering if I can run Jconcepts because they come 4 to a pack and I need a bunch. Would rather not pay seven dollars a pair when I can pay $8 for four.
In the drawings in the instructions they show AKA wheels!
Old 08-01-2016, 06:17 PM
Tech Legend

410v3 or did you mean 410v5?
Old 08-01-2016, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

No v3. I'm getting the 12mm plastic hexes for now.

AKA in the manual... Greeeeat! Lol

AKA Are my favorite wheels but a bit expensive when u need to stock up on 12 sets!
I wish more manufacturers would offer 4 count bags of wheels like JConcepts. The absolute best value in wheels.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:19 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by the incubus
No v3. I'm getting the 12mm plastic hexes for now.

AKA in the manual... Greeeeat! Lol

AKA Are my favorite wheels but a bit expensive when u need to stock up on 12 sets!
I wish more manufacturers would offer 4 count bags of wheels like JConcepts. The absolute best value in wheels.
don't walk, run from those plastic hexes. Pure garbage. Exotek's should fit I am thinking.

If its similar to the dex410v5, I use B5 offset rears and TL 22-4 offset front from what I recall.

These:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFEYT
Old 08-01-2016, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Perfect!
Thanks Cain... Just what I needs to know!

I have to go through my Durango parts box because I know I have 2 of the gold 12mm hexes, but not sure if I have all 4. Either way I've decked out the entire car with Exotek upgrades and it's my favorite aftermarket manufacturer so that's what I'm going with for him. I have the hexes for mine. Just need wheels. Gonna see if I can use the same front wheels. If not I'll have to run XB4 specific fronts.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:49 AM
Tech Legend

yeah on the v5 for the times I have gotten to run it is a blast. But alas it may be an indoor car as there just isn't the following I was hoping for outdoors. Guys mainly bring out the 1/8s to play with and maybe a 1/10 SCT 2wd or 1/10 2wd buggy. So at that point, too many classes for them.

Heck, I would love to just run all 4wd vehicles lol.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quick question I have a set of aka Evo fronts and I'm wanting to know what wheel I can run with a 14m hex ?
Old 08-02-2016, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

You have 3 options... Stock Durango wheels or DE Speedline or what I always ran, the Borego wheels. Amain sells all of them.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fuzzchop
Quick question I have a set of aka Evo fronts and I'm wanting to know what wheel I can run with a 14m hex ?
100% sure that "EVO" tires are NOT going to work with neither DE or Durango wheels. You have to get the "EVO" wheels from AKA but.... they don't make a 14mm hex (not sure if they make wheels for xray), therefore just change to a 12mm hex and you will be good to go.

Just get EVO wheels for the TLR 22-4 front and the 12mm hex conversion from exotek and problem solved.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I run the exotek hexes front and rear and with 22-4 offset wheels up front and 22 offset wheels for the front. On my 2wd buggies I run B5/RB6 Offset wheels in the front and 22 wheels in the rear. I haven't run AKA wheels but have been pretty happy with the DE or Jconcept wheels on my cars.

On another note, I put the Exotek wing mounts on my cars and it has been amazing to not have to worry about snapping them off during a race! My confidence is way higher around the track now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.