Wiki Posts
Search

New Guy

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default New Guy

Hello, All
I've been lurking here for a while now and it seems like a great site,with alot of good people.Some background on me,I used to race electric back in the 80's when i was in my young teens.I started with the grasshopper,then went to the frogger,and my last ride was the RC-10.After thinking about it for a while and then finding a local dirt track.I couldn't resist the nitro dirt scene,though quite a learning curve going from electric to nitro.I'm back into it and don't know why i ever stopped beer and girlfriends i guess.So i purchased the losi 2.0 RTR buggy and love it.I also raced a few times after a good bit of practice and a few broken parts.Did okay 7th out of 24 in sportsman class.And of course i have a question or two,what would you guys get to make the RTR 2.0 losi Buggy a better racing machine.In other words what are the must haves,and when you get more money the nice to haves.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'd go with the 2.0 race chassis and shock towers to give it some durability.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Servo's, The first thing i would buy.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Tech Adept

I would recommend the metal servo saver(if not equipped) the metal servo horn, upgrade the servos, lightened outdrives(personel choice), extra clutch bearings, extra tie rod ends, the covered hex nuts(the stock ones allow dirt and moisture to get into the axle shafts, making the grub screw rust and get stuck), do the shock mod( it's on this sight, recommend using tire foam over the doubled up o rings), extra shock blatters, the turbo conversion if sticking with the 350, extra plugs, Dymanite Max Life clutch shoes, tires/ rims/ inserts of choice( recommend AKA), a good caliper for reading measurmeants, and then just pratice and have fun.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Very good pick on the RTR best out there IMO, I run Associated and started out with the grasshopper,falcon, super shot and the RC10 gold pan and never looked back. I would say run it the way it is untill parts need replacing, Tires are 90% of setup so maybe invest in some tires,extra air filters, Im sure there's more and Im sure the Losi guys will help you out and welcome back! soon you will have a hobby shop in your basement
Old 03-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BAUSTIN
Servo's, The first thing i would buy.
+1 on the servos forgot about them.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

put the rtr steer servo on throttle and buy a hitec 7955 for your steering. And then put a alum servo horn on there and an upper aluminum ateering arm on it. You will be good for a couple gallons. At some point i would look into upgrading the clutch(real good set-up is 2 alum and 2 composites with green&gold springs).

altogether i would not replace a thing on an rtr unless its broke(if aint broke dont fix). everybody has different tendencies to break different parts. i would focus on tuning the car for your track and style of driving. this will result in less broken parts and more fun racing
Old 03-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

+1 on servo's. If you have the money buy two Hitec 7955TG's but if you can only afford one get one for the steering and move the steering servo to the throttle.

My next thing I would is upgrade the plastic shock caps with the aluminum. the plastic break pretty easy and also oval out.

Some say to get the aluminum servo saver. I haven't had a problem with my stockone ever in both my truggy or buggy. As long as you have it set right you should be find. But if you have the extra money go for it.

Next would be a turbo head button for the motor and a Losi RE11 pipe. It will turn that stock motor into something else.

Next would be chassis upgrade it to the TF chassis or something similar through another brand. I am running the stock one still. My vehicle would be better with the TF chassis, but the stock chassis works until you wear it out or it bends.

I had a slight problem with the RTR wheel hexes. They seemed to get beat up pretty bad. I replaced them with race roller hexes and it's been perfect.

Those are what I believe to be the most important upgrades. Next would be things like shock towers, race roller diff cases, etc that I am replacing they break or wear out.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by shanty140
Next would be things like shock towers, race roller diff cases, etc that I am replacing they break or wear out.
Man i hope you never wear out those HD diff cases....lol......i ran one set of the updated 2.0 cases all of last season and they still look good.......if you want to lighten up the buggy it would be one of the first places i looked......
Old 03-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Tech Regular

I've not heard of this losi shock mod. with tire foam instead of doubling orings.....I went threw and looked but did not see anything can someone help...........thanx
Old 03-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sleek
I've not heard of this losi shock mod. with tire foam instead of doubling orings.....I went threw and looked but did not see anything can someone help...........thanx
This article has some good pics and step by step.......

http://www.rc-car.com/index.php/site/article/140/
Old 03-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Have fun and get the right tires for your track, thats 90% or the game!~
Old 03-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks you guys are great,I did do the tire thing AKA soft and medium bow ties i think.The track i race on is pretty hard and dusty.Will the turbo conversion kit make that big of a difference,I think the servo is a for sure as well as some others.Will the diff make it turn a little better in conjuction with new servo.zombie I to had the gold pan RC10,loved that car it was indestructible for the most part.Also guys is the chassie that important and how much do they cost.Where do you guys do your shopping.

Thanks Again
Old 03-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think amainhobbies.com is probably the top site people use.

I have a history much like yours (Tamiya Wild One, Gold Pan RC10, etc.) and I am still learning on the 8ight 2.0. I found that AKA City Blocks in Super Soft really helped my car a lot. My car was almost un-drivable with Proline Crimefighters (Soft). people keep saying that with more break in time the car will get easier to drive. My Ten-T is so easy to drive compared to this 8ight!

Also for the shock mod, you might want to wait and just buy the vented shock caps that were released with the 8ight EU. Since you will want aluminum caps anyway, you might as well buy them pre-drilled. You can then buy the foams from Losi, or make them yourself.

Part numbers for both are: LOSA5422 & LOSA5431

I am not sure if these have been released in the US yet. If not, they will hit the streets any day now. (Edit: They are being released "Mid-April" according to the Horizon website.)
Old 03-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Grim,
Thanks alot I figured Amain,The tires are on the list.Man is there alot of tires to choose from compared to back in the 80's the compounds seem much better.But sure don't last that long,learned the hard way by driving it around the street.Thanks for your help,i'll be sure to check it out.