Wiki Posts
Search

Wings and Spoilers on SC trucks (Roar Rules)? Cheating or Not

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default Wings and Spoilers on SC trucks (Roar Rules)? Cheating or Not

First off I want to say that I race a converted Mugen Eco buggy that meets all SC Roar specifications and attended the 2012 ROAR offroad nationals last year with this truck. Here in Socal most of the race events abide by roar rules.
Do other race series conform to those rules or do they make them up for their events? A lot of people say that 8th scale converted to 1/10 SC is cheating and an unfair advantage, or 4x4SC must be a production vehicle and not converted, but there is no rule stating that anywhere.IMO its a disadvantage because the truck is so heavy.
Any thoughts on this would be great.

8.10.12.5.8 No add on or integrated spoilers/wings allowed.
That said, wings and spoilers on SC trucks are not allowed so IMO I think that is "cheating" or an advantage.The last few races I attended most of the trucks were running a buggy wing or a spoiler on their vehicles.
What do u guys think about the SC rules, should they change the rules for bodies and make an official rule for converted 8th scale that meets the dimensions for SC. or Leave them to the old rules they based off the traxxas slash.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2013, 10:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

I hope they ban them and or enforce it, they look stupid to! it takes away from why short course trucks are so popular because they look real and like truck and not a truggy thing.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Tech Prophet

Yea i agree they should have a ban on them wings and spoilers although i cant say i saw anybody using them though when i raced outdoors.

I dont think the full size (real) trucks have wings or spoilers on theres.

As far as races like ROAR or bigger races banning 1/8 scales converted to a short course i think its dumb because the 1/10 scale 4wd Short Courses are based off them and the bodies are just as big.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

NO WINGS ! Not needed and ruins the look of the truck ....

As for 1/8 scale conversions , as long as they meet ROAR specs and are running 2s they are OK imo . If you just slap some bumpers and body on a buggy without narrowing it then you ARE cheating imo .....

Last edited by BashemSmashem; 01-24-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

We were planning on racing Motorama but we just found out that they don't allow conversions, has to be a production vehicle. But then I asked what about the MIP kit. They didn't give an answer on that !
Old 01-24-2013, 06:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

i agree.. 1/8 buggy conversions.. are heavier.. and some sort of disadvantage.. but.. they are alot more durable..

my SCTE has more money in it.. than my XB9.. due to upgrades.. and such.

only thing i heard is that the E-buggy conversions are not able to make the full mains yet.. but now with the bigger batteries out.. i see that as a thing of the past..

and BTW.. i have seen some of the Lucas Oil series trucks running a small spoiler on the back.. not a wing..
Old 01-24-2013, 07:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Its a slippery slope. Just look at all the "Flow Tech" style bodies, they look like swiss cheese. Then there are bodies where the roof line and wind shield are getting lower and smoother. Pretty soon, they'll look like the Stratus bodies on touring cars in the early 2000's...

I'm no purist, I was a member of the "let's use better thread patterns than the terrible RTR tires" crowd. We're racing them, so things like this are practically inevitable; short of a specific class with thoroughly enforced rules. Something akin to VTA.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:30 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 1212 (100%+)

ROAR does not allow. However the majority of races are club races not using ROAR rules. With that said its up to the track on any given weekend. Its not cheating if there is no rule against it. If you are a purist then it is. Don't stoop. Go race and have fun!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Wings and spoilers are a no no. The number plate on the sides are ok.

I am completely for allowing 1/8 buggy conversions as long as they fit the size requirements and the rest of the motor/2s lipo rules.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

As long as the truck fits in the box I say run it. If you never let anyone experiment or run a scratch built car the sport will never progress.

As far as spoilers go... These trucks are so fast they almost need them. No wings though.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:19 AM
Tech Adept

Spoilers and wings on short course trucks are lame.
If you want to run a wing then run buggy.
If you want to run a spoiler then run a t4.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

if im not mistaken i believe most guys running the tekno sct run the spoiler?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The new Team Durango sct bodys come with spoilers they look like ST spoilers. I don't like the look of bodys like flowtech and the new durango body.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Rear wings and flames make everything go faster.

Rear Wings are no different than the new Flo-tech bodies, they all provide an aero advantage, whether it be in the air or on the ground. I believe you can run one or the other, but not both. Do you have enough speed in a 2wd SC to justify putting a rear wing on?? I don't think the truck would do well at the first big jump.....
Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Our track doesn't allow the spoilers on the truck. So my stock durango body I couldn't run the spoiler. no big deal, just take all the screws out.

the little side wings, well whatever, I think they look kind of cool. the small ones, not the huge flotek body one that makes the truck look like the batmobile

question though, what do you feel about the jconcepts f-250 body with the integrated "spoiler"?

I've tested it and it helps in our sweeper at the end of straight tremendously. Have alot more carry speed through that without getting loose. Its not a bolt on spoiler, it doesn't look like a spoiler/wing, but it surely was designed to be one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.