Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree867Likes

Tamiya Euro Truck Class

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I got the new Euro truck today. Thanks to WindyCityRC in Arlington Heights. :-) I'm excited to get it built. Well, more importantly, painted.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Sweet look forward to seeing some pics. I will have mine next week just in time for the endurance race
Old 01-21-2019, 08:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 357 (100%+)

Anyone have pics of glued tires for black carpet.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah, I'll post pictures tonight.

I bought the new Euro Truck kit, the Fat Fox one. It really changes the handling of the truck. My particular truck, bounces more.. I don't know why.

I need to spend a day testing it.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmoneym
Anyone have pics of glued tires for black carpet.
Front tires... glue whole side bead and slightly over to the treads. Just a bit.

Has anyone noticed an advantage with the Fat Fox body. I absolutely love the look. And it seems like it would be faster. ie. More aerodynamic and lower.
but does the handling change at all? The current truck body handles incredible. But I feel the new body would be a bit faster down the straightaway.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by portyansky
Front tires... glue whole side bead and slightly over to the treads. Just a bit.
I recall there's rules against gluing the tread. I said I'd get pictures of how my tires are glued... I haven't yet.

Has anyone noticed an advantage with the Fat Fox body. I absolutely love the look. And it seems like it would be faster. ie. More aerodynamic and lower.
but does the handling change at all? The current truck body handles incredible. But I feel the new body would be a bit faster down the straightaway.
Originally Posted by Nerobro
I bought the new Euro Truck kit, the Fat Fox one. It really changes the handling of the truck. My particular truck, bounces more.. I don't know why.

I need to spend a day testing it.
It's supposed to be a couple to a few tenths faster. I haven't seen that yet. But there's a lot of complicating factors there. In my case, the truck picked up the bounces, and the car got real tail happy, and tippy. But that might have been traction coming up at the local track.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I recall there's rules against gluing the tread. I said I'd get pictures of how my tires are glued... I haven't yet.

It's supposed to be a couple to a few tenths faster. I haven't seen that yet. But there's a lot of complicating factors there. In my case, the truck picked up the bounces, and the car got real tail happy, and tippy. But that might have been traction coming up at the local track.
When attaching body clips, attach one hole higher. See if that helps. I know it did for the original body
Old 01-23-2019, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by portyansky
When attaching body clips, attach one hole higher. See if that helps. I know it did for the original body
Already done.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I would be pretty surprised if it was any faster. A couple tenths is huge for a body even for a sedan body. I think it’ll change the handling a little and it’ll just be personal preference. The original body handles as good as I could possibly want it to for me.
hobbyten likes this.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We're just getting started with this class at the local carpet track (Prolevel RC St Louis). We're using the TCS inspired rules that seem to be popular around the rest of the country.

I'm wondering how other tracks handle the following topics.

1) Comm Drops....yes or no? I do believe the rules would allow this (...any lubricant on moving parts) but wonder if it might violate the spirit of the class.

2) Tire Inserts yes or no? The TCS rules seem to leave a gray area here.

3) Do you require use of the plastic motor heat guard/cover? Seems motors might last longer if kept cooler......just a thought.

4) Do you require that mirrors, etc be installed on the body? Looks like they could catch/rip the carpet?

5) Fans allowed for ESC or Motor? Same sentiment as item 1

Our aim is to keep this a cheap, fun, not-so-competitive class. We also hope this will be another gateway for new folks to come try racing. It's important that it be EASY to make this car EASY TO DRIVE. With that in mind, we've specifically ignored a TCS rule by ALLOWING tires to be glued on the 'horizontal' surface.

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions, etc.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Core Creations

I would be pretty surprised if it was any faster. A couple tenths is huge for a body even for a sedan body. I think it’ll change the handling a little and it’ll just be personal preference. The original body handles as good as I could possibly want it to for me.

There is a FB group for TT01 Truck racing.. one guy went all out measuring and weighing the two bodies. The new Fox body is 50G lighter, roof line is lower and of course shoved back versus the man cab forward. Some food for thought

I sold my Hahn kit off a few months ago but got it working really well. If the new body is any improvement it will show in the lap times / over 6 mins for sure.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I really wish people would leave this class EXACTLY like it was intended!! The trucks are GREAT FUN in completely STOCK form. Once you start modifying--it's another endless stream of spending money to go faster!! A total SPEC truck is what Tamiya intended with the ONLY CHANGE being bearings--and it made a REALLY fun class. Chasing lap times and better handling is counter productive to the intention of this class. Sad really, It's already happened at my local track--so now I"ll probably sell my truck and stick with F-1. Bummer-- it was fun till the mods started!!
DaSilva3525 and Billy Kelly like this.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:04 PM
Tech Addict

I support Box stock 100%. It's a blast and pretty cool how well it handles for what it is. Charge the batt and go
hobbyten, Tim Neja and Billy Kelly like this.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DaSilva3525
There is a FB group for TT01 Truck racing.. one guy went all out measuring and weighing the two bodies. The new Fox body is 50G lighter, roof line is lower and of course shoved back versus the man cab forward. Some food for thought

I sold my Hahn kit off a few months ago but got it working really well. If the new body is any improvement it will show in the lap times / over 6 mins for sure.
Seeing your post here may well confirm why i was having issues with the rear end snapping on power corners with this body else its my truck chassis but then again it eas running good with thr hahn body just before this. Can you post your feedback as soon as you try it. Rellly curious whats going on here.
DaSilva3525 likes this.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

So after a 4+ year hiatus I went ahead and picked up a euro truck. All i can say is holy traction rolling batman. It's both on and off power as well. Perhaps you guys could give me some input. It's a high bite black carpet. The roll seems to be semi violent and quick like it's catching but I have no real idea what is going on.

What I've tried/setup

Chassis:
Brand new kit, nothing binds. No weight but I cannot see 10-30g fixing this.
Diffs:
1M in front, started w/ 500k in back. I eventually thought perhaps the rear diff was trying to drive through the front tires w/ the thick rear lube so I cleaned out nearly all the 500 so it's almost open just to see if it helped and it did maybe slightly but still rolled
Shocks:
Started stock (position and internals) then put in some foam that others were using to try see if it made any difference (It did not). Tried to stand front shocks up a bit more to stiffen the front suspension, no affect.
Tire compound
Started w/ full rear and nothing in front. Erroneously thought if I had a ton of traction in back that it'd push, no such luck. Was cleaning the front tires as well to get anything off them that was picked up on the track. Tried no compound front/rear and it still rolled.
Tires:
In front; glued sidewall from rim to top mold flash before tread inside.and out. Rear; I only have glue on the outside sidewall, same coverage. I also tried swapping front/rear and after that it'd oversteer horribly on power to the point it'd spin out but oddly I think I was still getting traction rolling somehow.. The problem does seem to follow the front tires some but looking at the tires and gluing I don't really see any issues or major differences in sidewall stiffness. I hope to find another euro truck at the track to use their tires for a few laps to see if i is in fact the front tires. No idea why this would be though.

Body:
I have the body about as low as I can get it and it's free to float a hair but did a lap w/o it and i still got it to traction roll once, although it was much more manageable.

Any input would be appreciated, it's certainly not fun to have to worry about tipping every other corner.

Thanks much,

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.