Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4wd drift?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 4wd drift?

does any one ever drift 4wd cars? i want to try drifting and dont want to take the drive shaft out of my car to convert it to 2wd...
Old 06-21-2006, 05:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i thaught rc drifting was mostly 4wd, 2 wheel drive is so hard to do, ive only ever done 4wd
Old 06-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Default o ok

i just assumed it was rwd only cuz that is what it is with real cars
Old 06-22-2006, 01:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

jarrod is right, it s actually all 4WD !
Old 06-22-2006, 02:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

2wd rc drifting is VERY hard to do. it works well in real life, but in the world of RC, its 4wd. its actually kinda the same in real life. ya all the major competition drifters use rwd cars, but have you seen tarmac WRC? they have so much control and speed over their slides, even in comparison to D1 drivers wrc drivers are crazy with their slides. but back on topic, RC drifting is always done in 4wd trim. all you have to do is either buy some drift tires which can be bought at many LHS and everywhere online, or you can make yourself some. just get some 2" ABS tubing(you can use pvc also, but ABS is said to be much better) and cut some tires from it. a single set should last you afew months, and you could probably get 5 full sets out of 3 dollars of tubing. oh ya, electric is usually the way to go. nitro drifting is pretty hard on the motor and whatnots
Old 06-22-2006, 04:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

do the drift tires go on all 4 corners or only on the rear?
Old 06-22-2006, 04:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

all four wheels, if you put em only on the rear you will end up doing dohnuts
Old 06-22-2006, 01:26 PM
Tech Regular

Default SET UPS

GOT TO GROVEY DRIFT WEB SITE OR DRIFTRCENTRAL FOR SET UPS AND BEGINNER TIPS, SET UPS, BRAND OF RC CAR, LOCATIONS, EVENTS AND ALL THE GOOD STUFF.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:48 AM
Tech Adept

Lightbulb

well i only just got an TL01 and i love driffting so i thought id tape up the wheels(thats right selotape over the tires)!! cos thats what i did to make my little brothers nikko jumping car slide and the conclusion to my experiment was WOW!!!!!

because of the 4wd it still grips and goes and in a straight line, BUT push it hard and try to get it sideways and it drifts like a dream, very controllable (doesnt just doughnut) you can really throw it about and it will drift like you see in the videos!!

my road is very smoothe but is very narrow so ill have to take it to my old high school to use the playground later when no1s their 8) to get the real effect but for now its a deffinate DIY job that you will love!!!!
Old 06-30-2006, 04:09 AM
Tech Regular

The real D1 drift cars are 2wd and only break traction on the rear wheels.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:20 AM
Tech Adept

Talking

Yeah thats very true but it dosent work like that in rc i found. Rear wheel drive in real cars is ok because you have both clutch and throtle control but you have limited control over an rc car. Im sure it can be done i know that i can drift my litle brothers car but only a little and most times you end up the wrong way!!!!!

as for 4wd get some (no traction) tires and jus let it rip.

Cant wait for my new ESC and motor, i wonder what drifting will be like with added power
Old 06-30-2006, 05:00 AM
Tech Regular

I bought a second hand TT-01 Drift Spec car. It came with the Drift Spec tires. They are suppose to be hard on the houtside and softer on the inside. Have not found the softer part. They are slick too.