Community
Wiki Posts
Search

mugen mbx5 aftermarket shock springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Tech Regular

Default mugen mbx5 aftermarket shock springs

i have a stock mugen mbx5, it has stock/old shock springs on it.

ive seen buggies on this site where the shock springs have like 6 r 7T (twists/turns). my shocks have 15T.

whas the main difference between those 2 kind of springs?

i find that mine dont react fast enough, it takes too long for them to bottom out, and it takes too long for them to rebound back up, but i think thats cuz of the springs.

i have mugen 250 oil in the shocks, i wanna buy new springs, any recommendations? i want a stiff spring thats either blue or grey on color (to match my buggy). carolinasrc doesnt have much variety for mugen springs...

thanks
Old 02-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Tech Rookie

look here :

http://www.vita-tuning.de/index.php?...d=27&Itemid=46

we made 3 springsets with different charakters........

grey ones....progressive....balloon...soft...then getting harder.....
light blue...soft.
dark blue...hard

available from www.rmv-deutschland.de
in usa over A-Main
Old 02-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Tech Regular

hmm, yeah, i seen those progressive springs on carolinas rc.

theyre 25$ for all 4 over at carolinas, how much are they where you recommended?

i was thinking of getting them, now sure what stiffness though.

whats the exact purpose of soft shocks? tiny bumps?

whats the exact purpose of very stiff shocks? huge air?

edit: i also bought a 18T clutch... was that a waste of money or what? i was just curious as to how it would change the speeds of my buggy, does that mean it wont have a very high top speed, but the top speed it does have itll reach it instantly, in like 10M?

and a 10T clutch (if they made em) would have a rediculous top speed, but would take 100M or so to reach or or am i totally wrong?
Old 02-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

O Manhold, Do you know if A Main has your parts in stock yet? I don't see them on the A Main web site.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1
O Manhold, Do you know if A Main has your parts in stock yet? I don't see them on the A Main web site.
as in parts, do you mean those springs?

carolinasrc doesnt have em either, they havnt in a while... seems odd that everywhere is out of stock for one of the best(?) shock spring out there
Old 02-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Nope! Not the springs, I'm talking about some of the other parts on their site that listed near the top of the thread.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Search manufacturer Reckward Tuning on AMAIN

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5373
Old 02-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have used the RMV or Reckward Tuning springs on the Kyosho and Mugen. Both hard springs (light blue) as per Amain. They work great, but you have to preload them enough so you get to the progressive harder section of the spring so it works for your suspension travel. They make the car ride smoothly when I used them.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ezveedub
I have used the RMV or Reckward Tuning springs on the Kyosho and Mugen. Both hard springs (light blue) as per Amain. They work great, but you have to preload them enough so you get to the progressive harder section of the spring so it works for your suspension travel. They make the car ride smoothly when I used them.
how do you preload em?

would you recommend the soft or hard ones? i dont race, dont jump, just cruise around in an empty field or parking lot once in a while.. maybe some small jumps.

oh yeah, another few random questions:

whats the max amount of spacers you should have on your suspension? right now i think i have 10mm in the front and 16mm in the back.... and what the hell is the point of 1mm spacers? do people actually just put one 1mm spacer in and notice the difference or what?

and does anyone know how the reward program works for amain hobbies? which sites give you the best back?

heres carolinasrc reward program, better or worse than amain?

Reward Points Gift Certificate Value
200 $5
400 $10
750 $20 Not Enough Points
1200 $50 Not Enough Points

so pretty much spend 200$.. get 5 back (2.5%)
spend 1200$.. get 50$ back (4.16%)
Old 02-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mugen MBX-5
how do you preload em?

would you recommend the soft or hard ones? i dont race, dont jump, just cruise around in an empty field or parking lot once in a while.. maybe some small jumps.
The shock spacer clips for the springs. Those are preloading the springs. The more you use, the stiffer they get. I would say get hard. They have soft, hard and extra hard, so I figure hard is medium.

These are ones I have, but I didn't transfer them to my R, since I was testing the option long springs.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5374
Old 02-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ezveedub
The shock spacer clips for the springs. Those are preloading the springs. The more you use, the stiffer they get. I would say get hard. They have soft, hard and extra hard, so I figure hard is medium.

These are ones I have, but I didn't transfer them to my R, since I was testing the option long springs.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5374
all right, cool, ill order up some hard ones.

you obviously use amain a lot evzedub, why is that? how are they better than carolinasrc? which reward program is better?

carolinasrc has been very very good for me, and as far as i know, theyre the only site that accepts paypal AND ships to canada. but if amain has a way better reward program i may switch over...

so far ive spent like 500$ on carolinas, and im eligible for like 10$ back

and about the spacers, whats the max you should ever have on your shocks? right now i have four 4mm on the back and 3 on the front. 12mm front, 16mm rear. that too much?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

all right, cool, ill order up some hard ones.

you obviously use amain a lot evzedub, why is that? how are they better than carolinasrc? which reward program is better?

carolinasrc has been very very good for me, and as far as i know, theyre the only site that accepts paypal AND ships to canada. but if amain has a way better reward program i may switch over...

so far ive spent like 500$ on carolinas, and im eligible for like 10$ back

and about the spacers, whats the max you should ever have on your shocks? right now i have four 4mm on the back and 3 on the front. 12mm front, 16mm rear. that too much?
Amain carries more parts that I need. Plus I get free shipping more often with Amain than Carolinas. The shock spacers really don't matter as to how many you run, but there is a limit were you'll have too much preload. The Mugen Option long springs were for this reason. They made the R with longer shocks, but kept the same springs shorter springs, so you had to pile up spacers when you run full droop.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Tech Addict

hmm, yeah, i seen those progressive springs on carolinas rc.

theyre 25$ for all 4 over at carolinas, how much are they where you recommended?

i was thinking of getting them, now sure what stiffness though.

whats the exact purpose of soft shocks? tiny bumps?

whats the exact purpose of very stiff shocks? huge air?

edit: i also bought a 18T clutch... was that a waste of money or what? i was just curious as to how it would change the speeds of my buggy, does that mean it wont have a very high top speed, but the top speed it does have itll reach it instantly, in like 10M?

and a 10T clutch (if they made em) would have a rediculous top speed, but would take 100M or so to reach or or am i totally wrong?

match springs to oil/piston combos if your damping is heavy you need a stiff spring to return the shaft if the damping is soft you can run a softer spring to do the same job its a balancing act, the idea of a progressive spring is the initial travel will be soft so for small ruts it will soak them up easy as the shock compresses further the spring starts to get stiffer this will help landing off jumps etc hth.

you have the clutch bells/effect the wrong way round the 10t will rocket off the line the 18t will be like a slug off the line but if it ever gets there a good top speed, stick with either a 13 or 14

also should mention if you are using mugen 250 oil you should not have problems with the shocks not reacting they should be way to soft and bottoming out and returning like crazy, you must have some other problem bent shafts or something binding maybe an arm check the arms with shocks and roll bars off make sure they drop nice and easy under their own weight
Old 02-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by slow coach
match springs to oil/piston combos if your damping is heavy you need a stiff spring to return the shaft if the damping is soft you can run a softer spring to do the same job its a balancing act, the idea of a progressive spring is the initial travel will be soft so for small ruts it will soak them up easy as the shock compresses further the spring starts to get stiffer this will help landing off jumps etc hth.

you have the clutch bells/effect the wrong way round the 10t will rocket off the line the 18t will be like a slug off the line but if it ever gets there a good top speed, stick with either a 13 or 14

also should mention if you are using mugen 250 oil you should not have problems with the shocks not reacting they should be way to soft and bottoming out and returning like crazy, you must have some other problem bent shafts or something binding maybe an arm check the arms with shocks and roll bars off make sure they drop nice and easy under their own weight

so my soft mugen 250 oil and a hard spring wouldnt be the best combo? i can put like 450 oil in it, would that help?

those progressive springs sound perfect, i want something where i can drop my car from 15 feet and not have it bottom out, but yet still be kinda soft.

about the clutch, i seen a 18 tooth clutch on carolinas and decided to try it out, the curiosity was killing me. i assumed it would work like the rear sprockets on my bike. the big one with 20 or so teeth ("granny gear") reaches top speed instantly... but isint very fast. and the top speed gear (like 10 or so teeth) takes forever to get to top speed, but when you do its like 60km/h. guess rcs are different.

the shocks are actually pretty decent right now, i have 250 oil in them, stock grey springs, nothings bent(as far as i know), and i have 12mm and 16mm spacers in the front and back respectively. it still seems that when i drop it from about 3 feet high, it bottoms out and the chassis bangs against the ground... i dont want that. or maybe im expecting too much out of it seeing as i ride a dh mtb with 10 inches or travel. and im assuming the car should feel like my bike... very soft yet damn near impossible to bottom out.

and why the hell isint anyone answering my "carolinas vs amain reward program" question.. im sure im not the only one wondering this...

thanks for all the help guys
Old 02-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

If your trying to dampen a large jump, you run smaller holes in the shock piston with the same oil. You need more "pack" for large jumps. The truggy 1.4 dampen more the the MBX5 1.5's with the same oil/spring. Give that a shot, as the heavier oil will affect overall suspension ride/absorbtion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.