Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Associated 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

the GT is only competitive on loamy tracks associated even admits this. for club racing on blue groove tracks it gets killed. as for happy that cars don't get updated so your never out of date, that is great unless your competition is always updating and getting faster. associated waited years to finally produce the b4/t4 and losi immediately trumped them with the bk3 mf2's.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

But Losi doesn't really update their cars, of coarse they alter a few things, but most of the time they just include a whole bunch of hop-ups. Like with the BK & BK2. The B3 was running against the XXX back in the '90's and Associated's B4 is a completely new designed while the XXX BK2 is pretty much the same just has alot of hop-ups.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I wish Associated would take more chances instead of always following the dollar. Certain classes, such as 1/8 off-road, may not be as popular as others, but if Associated makes a buggy that could change. Look how Losi took a chance with the Mini-T and was rewarded for it. Associated doesn't seem to want to take any chances and just keep pumping out the same types of cars.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by tallyrc
associated waited years to finally produce the b4/t4 and losi immediately trumped them with the bk3 mf2's.

HAHAHAHA thats some real funny shit!!!

Can i ask you, which car won the last worlds?? oh i forgot wasn't it billy easton with a B4!

I am not gonna bag on the losi, but i really don't believe its any better than the AE product! The xxx has been around since 1999, the BK and BK2 are only hopped up versions, with small updates!!! The same way the AE Factory team stuff works, same cars with all the factory hop ups!

Glenn
Old 12-11-2004, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Check out this link of the rc10 back in 91: Is it like the B4??
Old 12-13-2004, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

mrs413bt - At the same time, who is the current national champion? It's not the B4.

To each his or her own, but let's cut it out with the senseless posts.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:28 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Jbrow, the 91' Stealth car was a one off prototype with suspension geometry that has not been used since (front a-arms joined the spindle carriers at the axle level, not below them). It was a really neat car and excellent on rough tracks. You'd have to ask someone from Associated but I'll bet that it was never produced for lack of versatility. I'm sure they learned alot from the prototype though.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:43 AM
Tech Regular

Well For Associated to think there is a small group that will buy the 4WD they are missing things. I for one, started with a Tamiya Super Shot 4WD. Simply because it was easier to drive and I could do more with it. Now I love being able to race my 4WD Yokomo YZ10 and still beat XXX4's with it. I've made so many mods to the car it's rediculous, all for racing.
When I bought that car, Yokomo was the IMFAR Off Road 4WD World Champ. Hmmm I remember AE's own Cliff Lett winning one. But, because those cars were imported, the parts were hard to get. So that is where it started suffering. AE made a big mistake by NOT doing their own car, and borrowing someone elses. Seems like they have a history of that. Yokomo, Durango, BJ 4x4.
I agree with many on here that if AE had done their own car a long time ago, The 4wd off road class would still be big today. In order for something like this to succeed you need more than just one manufacturer (Losi) that is capable to carry this class in the US.
Tony Phalen, you really have no excuse since you have the platform (TC4) and don't have to totally start from scratch, like you would have back then.
I also know that many people don't race in this class because of only one manufacturer that is usually racing/winning. Face it, competition will Gain people not lose them! So I say to Associated, fix your blunder you guys did 12 years ago that actually caused the class to be what it is or isn't today and you will see the racers, and profits from it. Hey if people are willing to pay $500 for the BJ4x4 they should be even more people willing and able to pay $329 for a true Associated designed 4WD. I know I would. I just used the XXX4 G+ price as an example.

Last edited by wcoyote; 12-13-2004 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:58 AM
Tech Regular

By the way, since Losi came out with the xxx4, interest in the 4WD class has increased enough here to enable me to race 4WD again. LACK of interest you say?? I say lack of good affordable cars, with decent parts support. I see a niche just asking to be filled. Obviously so did Yokomo, Durango, and the guys behind the BJ4x4. I bet it would even bring back new Schumacher Cats, and some new Kyosho Lazers. Remember those times? You can bet they are all waiting to see if someone big comes back in or if it fizzles out.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Yesterday's Jimmy Babcock Racing League race saw over 15 entries in 4wd modified - more than either modified truck or 2wd.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

see, no interest...ha i check half a dozen message boards and each one has several "why no AE 4wd" threads. it must be the lack of interest. the only lack of interest is on behalf of associated electronics. there is a new kyosho 4wd but its japan only....
Old 12-13-2004, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Default 4WD Is Diversified Now

At the Illinois State race in November there were 60 total entries in the 3 mod classes, including 18 in 4WD That's 30%.

But more importantly, there were 5 different types of cars entered. There were a number of xxx-4s and BJs, but also four X - 5s, two xx-4s and a Yoke. The other classes, buggy and truck, are pretty boring with only two manufacturers. By the way, the top five finishers: BJ, BJ, X - 5, X - 5, xxx-4. Losi dominates?

At the WinterFest this last weekend at Planet R/C in Indianapolis there were 11 4WD entries out of about 80 total mod entries. A BJ was TQ with an X - 5 second on the grid, and that's the way they finished. The field included four BJs, two xx-4s, the X - 5, and four xxx-4s.

Again, no more Losi dominance and about 15% of the entry in 4WD. The class is indeed coming back and with all the available cars (No Academies entered either race, but one made the show at the stock nats.) it's certainly become the most interesting class in 1/10th off-road racing.

We have signed Greg Hodapp to run the X - 5 in '05 at all the big races including the Worlds. We expect sales to take off with racing success.

The first big test for the class will be the CRCRC Mid-Winter in January. AE and Losi are sending significant teams of their top drivers, including Maifield, Skidmore, Montgomery, Handwork, Horne, Amezcua, Truhe, and Robbers, and possibly Kinwald. Will they run 4WD? Will J Concepts send cars for their guys? Will Losi ask their guys to run 4WD?

Greg and Paul and Iwill be there.

Will the magazines cover the biggest off-road race in the USA? And will the magazines cover the resurgance in 4WD?

Now, perhaps, we have the major questions...
Old 12-14-2004, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Look. Everyone here appears to WANT to support us having a 4wd car. Great. I see a total of MAYBE 20 different people posting. Not a real 'everyone' number.

So, here is what I propose. Now, I can't and WON'T promise what the outcome of this will be, but why not call or e-mail AE and start requesting the production of a 4wd vehicle??? The more interest, the more likely it MIGHT be that we will look into it.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

From what I hear that won't work. AE will tell you they need the requests to come from the hobby shops. So if you want to voice your opinion, you need to do it to the shops, then hope they relay the info.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

sounds like when you call your commisioner and expect him to pass it on to the governor..... that works. ha... this is a big joke. i give up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.