Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree172Likes

Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 12-21-2016, 08:46 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tobamiester
RB6.6 Kyosho America Product Page: http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/ULTIMA-...T_p_24505.html

RB6.6 Manual http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/in...A_RB6_6_IM.pdf

RB6.6 Kyosho Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW_sR667utY

MSRP $639 MAP $399.99

-------------------------------
New RB6.6 parts (compared exploded views, prices and links are Kyosho America):

Chassis:
  1. Main chassis - UM731 - $125.99
  2. Side guards - UM732 - $9.99

Battery Holder:
  1. Battery plate - UM733 - $8.99
  2. Battery foam - UM741 - $7.99

Rear Bulkheads:
  1. MM3 and Laydown - UM740 - $9.99
    • MM3 bulkhead
    • Laydown bulkhead
    • Swaybar Holders

3 Gear Transmission (MM and RM):
  1. Transmission - UM734 - $10.99
    • transmission cases
    • spacers
    • caps
    • plastic FR & RR suspension hangers

2. Gear Cover - UM735 - $6.99

Laydown Transmission (3 and 4 gear possible):
  1. Transmission - UM736 - $10.99
    • transmission cases
    • spacers
    • caps
    • required extra hardware
    • pastic FR suspension hanger

2. 40T idler - UM737 - $6.99
  3. Motor plate - UM738 - $18.99
  4. Gear cover - UM739 - $6.99

Body:
  1. Blade body - UMB05 - $27.99

Optional Parts:
  1. Lightweigt Blade body - UMB05LW - $31.99
  2. Aluminum FR suspension hanger - UMW705B - $28.99 (may be able to file UMW705 to fit)
  3. Brass FR suspension hanger - UMW725B - $30.99 (looks more different than UMW725..someone confirm?)

Typical Upgrades for new RB6.6 Buyers

UMW701 Aluminum Steering Plate (RB6)
UMW702 Aluminum Crank Arm (RB6)
UMW704-0 V2 Aluminum Rear Hub Set(0°/RB6)
UMW705B Aluminum Rear Sus. Holder (RF/RB6.6) or brass UMW725B
UMW707 Aluminum Rear Sus. Holder (RR-Mid)

Nice to have:

UMW723 Aluminum Front Sus Block (Type B/10g/RB6/RT6/SC6).

Aftermarket Parts:

Front Wing: https://www.prolineracing.com/perfor...mount-alum-rb6

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Not sure if any of you transformed their buggies over the years like me but, this rb6.6 started life as the 1st gen rb5, then later I put the sp parts on. After the rb6 came in, I did a lot of research to see what it would take to convert to the rb6. Got a really good deal on a used chassis($40) and ran her rear motor back in 2012/2013 for a short time until mm was the hot ticket. Now transformed to the 6.6 LD,still not sure if the LD is as consistent as the 4 gear stand up I've been using the last couple years?I've had this buggy for 10 years! Worth every penny I put into it, I still have rb5 steering hubs,I had so many and they seem to never break, so why waste them? This is the most universal buggy on the market. For gods sake, it's still set up for rm!
Attached Thumbnails Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread-img_0531.jpg  
Gayosaka and JAE like this.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jeromerc
I got some of the mid motor rb5 arms, the front look the same but a bit shorter, not much only a mm or two. What would this cause? They were on sale (clearance) at amain and I picked up 4 sets. The rear arms in the package look like the zx5 set you have to buy for replacement zx6 front arms. Will this slight difference be noticeable? I realize I would need to replace both front arms if I used them, but would it change performance that much?
Well if you change only the arms for RB5 ones, the reduction in width will give you more steering, specially when entering corners. You could use a RB5 front suspension mount to get the proper width with RB5 arms. Don't know for the handling difference, sorry.
As for rear flat arms, there were several versions on the RB5/ZX5, one being slightly longer, you had to adjust the width with other hubs. Flat arms give the feeling of an antiroll bar, you get less mid corner rotation.

Honestly I wouldn't mess with those parts unless you really know what you're doing (I don't!). Stock parts are good enough for the best drivers so it should be good enough for us

Originally Posted by jeromerc
One other question, we have a small carpet track about 14 seconds per lap, only one straight but my 6.6 pushes like hell. If I tap the brakes it digs and corners like a dream. I also just set up a rz6 kit with a 13.5 and I zeroed the toe and camber on the front, went -2 toe on the rear and -1.5 camber and it does great on the short track, but it is no where near as fast as the rb6.6. Would the same setup see similar results? I have the rear brass front rear holder and the 25 gram brass front plate hoping the extra weight would help. Any suggestions would help. Running the sawn zero with a reedy 7.5 82 spur with a 20 pinion
Yes, same setup choices should give roughly the same results. I don't know why your RZ6 is slower if both have same electronics. Something's wrong, check your esc calibration first.
As for the understeery RB6.6 I would go with slightly less rear toe-in (2 by wheel is ok), longest wheelbase, reduced front kickup and caster, lipo pushed to the front.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JAE
Can you recommend a good starting setup for hi grip carpet on a tight track (17 second lap times). Thx!
Have you checked Petit RC? Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Setup Sheets
Maybe the latest Akimoto: http://site.petitrc.com/setup/kyosho...Arena20170604/
Old 07-31-2017, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Jeromerc; I ran rb5 front arms for years because I had so manybut like he said, but I did have the wider front suspension mount. Shorter front end could make it feel twitchy and aggressive.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:46 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Thx - I'll try that setup. DOn't know how to get to 14mm ride height, or to shave down the rear hub and for what purpose. I'm from southern california. This will be our first carpet offroad track, ever. So know nothing about setup. I was under the impression we needed sway bars for carpet. are rear sway bars alone adequate? thx

Originally Posted by Gayosaka
Old 07-31-2017, 04:45 PM
Tech Regular

I don't see much 2wd setups with sway bars. You should first try like this. Just make sure to have good carpet tyres and a laydown tranny.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:30 PM
Tech Adept

For those looking for setups - Shawn Thompson has a great one posted on petitrc. I've tried several others but this is by far the best for high grip carpet.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by heyscottn
For those looking for setups - Shawn Thompson has a great one posted on petitrc. I've tried several others but this is by far the best for high grip carpet.
Shaun's setup is great for indoor style carpet. A lot of the guys in the USA refer to outdoor astroturf tracks as carpet, for that you need a slightly different setup as you'll be carrying much more speed on the more open tracks.

Look at my Kidderminster setup on Petit, that will get you flying
Old 08-01-2017, 11:06 AM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Which is b st for indoor carpet? Sway bars helpful? Track not open yet so no point of reference. Thx Roger! Used a lot of your info already and your Astro tips work for hi grip clay

Originally Posted by RogerM
Shaun's setup is great for indoor style carpet. A lot of the guys in the USA refer to outdoor astroturf tracks as carpet, for that you need a slightly different setup as you'll be carrying much more speed on the more open tracks.

Look at my Kidderminster setup on Petit, that will get you flying
Old 08-01-2017, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

How do you get your motor to run forward with the motor being in the wrong rotation? I'm running 4 gear LD,motor wires are correct. Should I swap everything around. Doesn't seem like anything I can do electronically
Attached Thumbnails Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread-img_0531.jpg  
Old 08-01-2017, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

If the picture in the post is built with a 4 gear transmission then your motor, motor plate, and top shaft are on the wrong side.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kraig
If the picture in the post is built with a 4 gear transmission then your motor, motor plate, and top shaft are on the wrong side.
Yea I figured thanks
Old 08-03-2017, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JAE
Which is b st for indoor carpet? Sway bars helpful? Track not open yet so no point of reference. Thx Roger! Used a lot of your info already and your Astro tips work for hi grip clay
Always happy to help.

Shaun's setup works awesomely well on tighter indoor tracks, my Kidderminster / Telford setups work great on faster more open tracks or bumpier tracks.

I've found roll bars to help ONLY on very smooth tracks.
During the winter months there is a prestigious indoor series in the UK that is always VERY fast but on perfectly flat base surface with EOS carpet, there I'll use a thin bar at both ends (can use the AE front bar if you have the Exotek alloy front bulkhead and run the AE gullwing arms as many of us do).

Other than that I don't think 2wd generates the corner speed to make use of ARBs, for 4wd they are a must have.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:30 AM
Tech Regular

Rog, when do you favor AE gullwing front arms? They give more front roll, right?
Old 08-07-2017, 05:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Gayosaka
Rog, when do you favor AE gullwing front arms? They give more front roll, right?
I do on high grip surfaces yes.

Gullwing arms basically change the way the shock inclination changes as the car rolls. The result of this is that, changing nothing else, you lose a little initial steering but gain a good chunk of mid-exit steering.

This makes the car feel more neutral through the whole turn with the tire combinations we run on astroturf / carpet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.