Community
Wiki Posts
Search

so many classes of racing...so little bank

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Default so many classes of racing...so little bank

I want to break into the world of nitro off road, coming from on road drifting, but I am not sure which class would be right for me to start in. Of course I have racing dreams, so a class that is easy to pick up on, yet leaves room for upgrades without breaking the bank is ideal. I know the old saying "how fast can you afford to go" applies to scale as well, so no confusion there. I am new to off road, but not new to rc if that helps. any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

check out the local track(s) and see what the biggest class is...nothing worse then racing with 3-4 people....
Old 08-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Tech Prophet

Thats why i only run one class outdoor offroad . To much money to keep up with two classes for me.

But yea it depends on who runs what at your track the most and what you can afford me i love truggy racing the most nitro and especially electric which is quite popular in the Northeast .
Old 08-10-2012, 02:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Have to agree with the others. One thing I would add is if you are not familiar with nitro, I would start with electric. Not knocking nitro, I love it and wont have it any other way. But if you are starting out new to offroad I think it will be cheaper. Also with electric you can focus more on driving and not on tuning a nitro engine. Its also easier if you dont always have someone with you at the races for a pit man. Good luck. Let us know what class you decide on.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:19 AM
Tech Champion

Start off with nitro, and go with truggy. Truggy is more forgiving to set up and drive. Major downside to truggies is the cost of tires IMO though. Buggies are also fun, but twitchier and therefore more challenging to drive.

Nitro is not and doesn't have to be hard. Get a good basic truggy engine like a Werks B5, and people on here will gladly help you out getting started.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Buggy is where I started coming from 2wh offroad stock and mod. I had great people around me that ran nitro for years so I was very fortunate. Buggy is where I would start. Don't be afraid to ask questions and help if needed. Best of Luck! Always have fun above all else.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:25 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Buggy is it for off road. If you can drive a buggy then the truck is easy.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Start off with nitro, and go with truggy. Truggy is more forgiving to set up and drive. Major downside to truggies is the cost of tires IMO though. Buggies are also fun, but twitchier and therefore more challenging to drive.

Nitro is not and doesn't have to be hard. Get a good basic truggy engine like a Werks B5, and people on here will gladly help you out getting started.
+1. Truggy is easier to drive, but buggy is probably more popular. Just following a few simple rules when tuning engines goes a long way to avoiding frustration. And yes, don't break the bank on your first engine. There are plenty of good engines out there that don't cost you a bunch. The B5 is good, and I love the 3-port Novarossi's as well.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

You're in south jersey, in NYC Truggies are really popular, so I would imagine its the same in south jersey. Start with nitro truggy, pick up a Werks b5 or Novarossi P5 and your good to go.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by stevetford
Have to agree with the others. One thing I would add is if you are not familiar with nitro, I would start with electric. Not knocking nitro, I love it and wont have it any other way. But if you are starting out new to offroad I think it will be cheaper. Also with electric you can focus more on driving and not on tuning a nitro engine. Its also easier if you dont always have someone with you at the races for a pit man. Good luck. Let us know what class you decide on.

+1 Thats one of the reasons why i converted to electric on my truggy so i can focus on more things like driving and setups .

Im not new ethier.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Either Nitro buggy or Electric buggy will be your best bet to always have people to race with. I think overall that buggy brings in the highest grade of competition and it will make you a better racer than just about any class.

Truggy is great and all, but they are super easy to drive and the experienced gained is hardly rewarding compared to the buggies. Truggy is also dead (except large events) in many areas compared to many of the other classes.

This is also coming from experience in North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia where the truggy class seems to be dropping off rather quickly this last year. I know this may not be the case everywhere but i figured there may be a similar trend in other states.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by pl_unc86
Either Nitro buggy or Electric buggy will be your best bet to always have people to race with. I think overall that buggy brings in the highest grade of competition and it will make you a better racer than just about any class.

Truggy is great and all, but they are super easy to drive and the experienced gained is hardly rewarding compared to the buggies. Truggy is also dead (except large events) in many areas compared to many of the other classes.

This is also coming from experience in North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia where the truggy class seems to be dropping off rather quickly this last year. I know this may not be the case everywhere but i figured there may be a similar trend in other states.

Hum no Truggy in my opinion has the closes racing and competion compared to buggy in a club racing scene from what ive seen and exprience.

But yea it depends on where you live at in the country with truggy ive driven a buggy and like truggy much better nitro or electric.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blktransam
check out the local track(s) and see what the biggest class is...nothing worse then racing with 3-4 people....

Can't believe that no one else has 2nd this.

So true, go to the tracks that you plan to race at and see what class is strongest.

NE with winter coming, maybe E-buggy is where it's at till the spring. Maybe not.

Truggy is by far my favorite but the least amount of heats for us right now.

Buggy always great and most platforms carry over parts to their electric sibling.

See what's being ran and what has local parts support.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you are learning 1/8th off-road, get a buggy. If you start off with a 1/8th truggy, you'll be the guy always crashing into people learning how to drive, taking up the whole track, abusing some pipe, etc. Nobody likes running with that guy.

Start with buggy. Your learning will progress much quicker and become more refined. It's also much easier to transition from buggy to truggy than the other way around. Of course buggy is usually bigger almost anywhere you go too.