Airline travel with Nitro Gear

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airline travel with Nitro Gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:34 AM
Tech Initiate

I'm normally removing the fuel tank from the car and take a totally new one with me. For sure no tire cleaner or other spray bottles are allowed to carry.
I'm normally putting catalogue sites from my RC stuff in my bag, so that the customs or security guys can imagine what it is.

I'm normally taking the radio in my hand baggage and with some race pics and catalogues in it there was no problem at all.

About the enigne the best way is to unscrew it totally and carry all parts cleaned in seperate bags.

With tools, oils or glue I never had any problems.

You have to prepare for some extra time at check in, because especially in Germany RC stuff isn't famouse as it might be in US. So you have to explain your stuff again and again.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Tech Regular

Geo, good luck with the trip and the race! Make sure you post some tips from what you learn on the trip.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sure I'll post something on Wednesday night about how the day of travel goes. I'll be at the track around noon with no sleep from the night before. Ahhhh the life of a second shifter.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Can you guys post pics of what you haul all your stuff to and from the airport in. I seen someone say they use the black plastic ones from walmart?
Old 02-29-2008, 07:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Geo Y-Rock
Then the video showed workers throwing bags around. Right then I decided NO WAY. Sure it's not like UPS will be extra careful with it. But atleast the hydraulic arm will not be hammering my gear. No conveyer belts for this rc racer....nah uh.

Lars that's awesome feedback. I will look into a prepayment on a return label out of my hotel now that you said that. That's dialed!!! Will I see you at Silver State?
I wish i could, but it was just too close to the Nitro Challenge for me to take off. I have a MSR racing Navigator bag that i use along with the foot locker, it was brand new in January. I had some racing stuff and all my clothes in it, and when i pulled it off the baggage claim belt monday AM, it had been dropped on one of the wheels, which was shoved all the way up into the bag - it's basically ruined. So much for that $140

Originally Posted by Crashhole
Can you guys post pics of what you haul all your stuff to and from the airport in. I seen someone say they use the black plastic ones from walmart?
Click here. Not every Walmart has them, but most do. if you have a Container Store near you, they have the same thing with Wheels for $40.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Crashhole
Yeah that's the one I use. I saw it priced at $17.99 in the automotive section at Wallyworld.

Originally Posted by Lars Johnson
I had some racing stuff and all my clothes in it, and when i pulled it off the baggage claim belt monday AM, it had been dropped on one of the wheels, which was shoved all the way up into the bag - it's basically ruined. So much for that $140

Click here. Not every Walmart has them, but most do. if you have a Container Store near you, they have the same thing with Wheels for $40.

Yep, that's the one. Only I saw it for much less at the store. One question I have is in regards to carry on.... The dimensions allowed are 21-17-9 with a 50 lb limit on Midwest airlines. I have a bag that is within these specs but on the 21 side, there are wheels that stick out another two inches. Can I still use it? If you took the wheels off, it would be fine. I actually measures 20 1/2 - 16 - 7 minus the wheels.

I was thinking about trying the Losi roller bag.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, i made it with no issues. Ontario CA to Housten TX to the UK. All in my luggage, just spectrum TX module in carry on.