Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jon003

Suggestions on a 1/10 4wd Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 08:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Suggestions on a 1/10 4wd Buggy

just need some suggestions on a 4wd Buggy to race on carpet and clay style tracks.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:01 AM
mes
Tech Elite

B74, XB4, D418
I've got the AE, but you can't go wrong with either of them.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mes
B74, XB4, D418
I've got the AE, but you can't go wrong with either of them.
Is the b64 still a competitive version on the AE side?
Old 06-11-2019, 10:06 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by KeeneRc
Is the b64 still a competitive version on the AE side?
Depends how competitive you and your class are. If you are still learning then it will be alright but if you have more time under your belt I would suggest something else. They need a bit of work to really drive well and then it gets hard to drive when you get it there.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Tekno eb410. Built like a tank.
suzukipro likes this.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

The track in my area is ran on turf and the 2 most popular brands running 4WD Buggy are XRay and TEKNO.

XRay tends to be more expensive but also seems to be a pinch faster for many local drivers on turf.
TEKNO holds the current title for 13.5 ROAR National Champ and the 2019 Reedy race winner too with both those events on clay.

Although the initial expense for TEKNO is cheaper than XRay, I spent another $300+ in upgrades to make it competitive for 13.5.

TEKNO arms are significantly more durable than XRay arms, however the TEKNO bulkheads, pins and chassis tend to snap with hard crashes, where repairs for XRay tend to be less expensive for less experienced drivers. If you're a clean driver then TEKNO will probably be the least expensive to maintain (assuming you don't take many hard crashes into walls).

I recently sold my TEKNO and started running a PR Racing 401R which shares a lot of the same geometry with XRay and is more comparable in durability with XRay. The 401R quickly broke all my personal records on the same track layout compared to my EB410 that I had raced for 1.5 years. No regrets making the switch to PR, you just need to stock up on common spares like arms, pins and plastic shock caps.

What I like most about PR is that they include almost all the upgrades you need out of the box which makes PR the most cost effective (and competitive) option I know of currently, more info here:
REVIEW: PR Racing SB401-TypeR